Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Leveling too easy?

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Sara Dreygon, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

To give @Chris some information on leveling skills, today for four hours I went from 92 polearms to 112 polearms which I think this might be too fast in my opinion. I don't think experience pool that I had left over from R20 had much to do with it either because even if my pool was completely out, I was killing many, many creatures with my guild's help so I shouldn't have run out of XP, correct? (it's not like I was hitting a gustball)

Also, leveling is MUCH quicker if you don't power up your attack. I was using a halberd and was just clicking with no power-up and the skill gain different was extremely noticeable. I'm guessing I get 5x more attacks off that way and even though they do less damage (maybe not when you add them together) you do get 5x as much skill from doing so. Should the leveling of powered-up attack weapons (blades, polearms, bludgeons) be based on damage, "power-up" bars, etc. instead of # of attacks? Going off # of attacks rewards players for never powering-up their attack.

Just some thoughts to ponder for R22.

2. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

My understanding is your XP pool is used in percents. So it's not a question of whether you would run out. If you have a large XP pool, your skills will level much quicker, even during regular activity.

3. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I kind of agree Sara. I too think the speeds are a bit too quick. Also, because we gain on attacks, it is worse than just using base attack to get more skill, it is using base attack with the smallest, least damaging weapon you can find so that it takes as many attacks as you can get. IF your XP pool still has points, you will burn them off the quickest this way. It seems to make a difference of levels per kill and 15 levels per kill. (While in the 40 - 50 range of skill.)

Even weirder, if you have something like Earth Affinity, you can select a smaller MoB that cannot bypass your armor and let it pound on you even while AFK and the skill will level until your pool is expended. Certainly not what is desired.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...I have had the exact opposite experience :eek: It has taken me much longer to level and improve my skills this release, despite have a large xp pool (nearly 3.5 million :oops:) carried over from last release :( (As an example, it took me a whole day to raise my ranged combat skill by a single point (!) despite killing hundreds of wolves...:confused:) I suspect this is due to the fact that I am trying to level all of my many (i.e., several dozen) skills at roughly the same rate :rolleyes: If I had concentrated on only a handful of skills, perhaps I might have experienced the same rate of skill advancement as the others in this thread...o_O

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ranged is currently bugged so using standard attacks does not raise skill. To skill up, I had to put my arrows in the bank and spam archery specials instead. I have lots of skills set to advance, and I'm still seeing moderate gains, although my skills are only in the 60s rather than the 110s.

Jivalax Azon and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Actually, I rarely use auto attack and have been relying mostly on the special attacks (Aimed, Blinding, Piercing, and Disabling Shot) o_O As of late last night, my ranged combat skill just hit 50 (!), my Aimed Shot is 60, and my Blinding, Disabling, and Piercing Shots are at 57 :rolleyes: Needless to say, I am still getting torn to shreds by most creatures...:(

7. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I would argue that us being bound to xp of hunting is an ok mechanic .... but the fact we do not have a level cap or "skill cap" is going to cause some very large long term game issues. One terrible mechanic they implemented to counter this would be skill decay.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Wow, Gabriel, I am sorry. I have a pretty simple pounder build and have only leveled a handful (actually 4 skills [bludgeon base, crushing blow, healing touch and parry] plus innates). So I do not mean to imply that everything is rocketing up. But, since my combat build is complete and I have little interest in many of the skills, I am progressing very fast, in spite of a small XP pool. This has allowed lots of time for crafting which seems to be leveling slowly.

I certainly can't speak for range, but the fact that I can level my heals and parry (burning XP pool) standing in the bank by myself is problematic. I tried this 1) to see if it was exploitable - and it is and 2) because it was leveling so slowly in the field.

It still seems to me the fastest way to level is to gain levels as you see fit, saving the skills you want to enhance. Then burn off the pool by spamming the skill you want. I know this is not as intended, but if I can figure it out, others will too when it is live.

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

Hmm..in conclusion, it would appear that the new use-based system tends to favor specializing in skills within a single archetype (whether it be archer, melee fighter, mage, etc.) o_O Trying to create a hybrid build (i.e., archer/mage) - as I have done in all prior releases - results in a very mediocre (!) character (most of my magic skills are still in the 20's -40's :eek:) So much for flexibility in character design :(

P.S. Has anyone here actually managed to play as a pure mage (no resorting to plate armor or melee weapons at low levels in order to survive...:rolleyes:) this release and make it to a high level? I have found that magic spells (at least at low level...) seem really weak in this release...:oops:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    4EverLost, Jivalax Azon and Alexander like this.
  10. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

<snipped>

I see your point mostly, but counter that it will just take longer to go hybrid, which would be more powerful if you view overall flexibility. You can either ramp one side fast, then switch and ramp the other, or be happy with using both and knowing it will hopefully take the same amount of time... you just don't see the advances as quick. A single tree superstar will be great in certain situations and will benefit from team support, but a hybrid will be overall stronger with small groups and solo.
    Just my thoughts.

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Well, that is my hope o_O I always opt for hybrid builds since I do often find myself playing solo and need the greater flexibility ;)

4EverLost and Jivalax Azon like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Do you mean by no power up just using auto attack, where you Hitting "T" over and Over?

Also I am sure you had exp in you pool. How many skills do you have set to gain?

13. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

GreyMouser, it would seem like it, but I don't think so. Because things are level based still, if it takes 10 days to max one side, it might take 90 to max the other. If you split it more, you might never get there. If you don't mind casually playing around, and not being concerned about the levels or skills, then it doesn't matter. But the build Gabriel has pulled off in the past will now take quite a while to match the power he had in previous releases.

I get the frustration, specially when there are those of us using a few select skills and rocketing ahead. And it is iterative. Because I am using so few skills, they go up fast. Because they are high, I can fight bigger stuff. Because I fight bigger stuff, I gain more XP faster.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Indeed, I have noticed that switching between my archer and mage decks every so often (i.e., every couple of hours...) seems to result in faster skill advancement than simply relying on my hybrid deck (...as I was doing for the first four days :oops:)

Jivalax Azon and 4EverLost like this.
  15. crydee

crydee Avatar

I'm finding that my skills are crawling at a very slow pace. I have one high level spell which is healing touch (97), and I got this to that level on day 1 of the patch because I had all the pooled xp carried over. Perhaps that pooled xp gave a bonus to actual skill gains as well because all my other skills are not leveling anywhere near as fast now. I've been slaughtering packs of wolves at a time, so my new pooled xp should never be running out and my skill gains shouldn't be limited by any xp caps.

16. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

I missed release 20, so had no xp pool. If you think leveling is too fast I think you are either underestimating the effect of that xp pool or you are leveling only one skill. I have put in about 40 hours this release and my highest skill is level 65 the rest are in the 30's or below. I'm leveling one armor line, one weapon line, one magic line and the strategy line. Not all the skills in theses lines, but maybe half. I have noticed everything levels up to 10 really quick, but then slows dramatically. It has not been quick at all. I also have noticed that one parent skill I was just trying to get to ten stopped leveling completely until I killed a few more wolves to refil the xp pool. that was kind neat.

Tyde likes this.
  17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Auto attack is off so I'm just clicking left mouse very quickly to attack.

Have main polearms, three polearms glyphs, the polearms innates. Also the earth innates, and heavy innates... about it.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

That might be it... even with me leveling a bunch of skills they all went up super fast because I was high on XP in R20 so my % raises were higher than someone just starting out.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I may have hit the XP wall... despite hunting for 3 hours tonight - and even decreasing the amount of skills I was leveling - I only managed to gain 1.3 points in polearms tonight in contrast to the 20 points that I gained yesterday. I currently sit at 113.2ish.

It looks like the fast skill gain was due mainly to my having a huge experience pool built up. Either that or for some reason I was gaining MUCH more skill when I was hunting in a party of 5 instead of by myself like tonight.

agra and Jivalax Azon like this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

Yep, next release will be the real test, it seems, when the XP pool of everyone starts at zero. :) Until then, all the impressions are skewed to varying degrees for those who played prior to R21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.