Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please just disable Random Encounters for R23.

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Aartemis, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I see where you want to go with it, I do, but right now it is probably my biggest "throw my keyboard at the wall" moment whenever it triggers. Sure, you created a few variants but lets face it, they are NOT worth the loading times. I get stopped on an average of 3 times EVERY time I try to walk from Ardoris to Solice Bridge on the dang road. Its silly and pointless.

I know you want them to be meaningful, to make a player WANT to have that encounter or private scene but it is just not that right now. Its a time sink, so I can load, run to the arch and load again. I don't want the bandit's 3 reagents in the chest, I don't need to skin another wolf, and if you want me to be excited about the street vendor, have him be giving a 20% discount or rare items. Heck most of the time the reagent nodes are off or spent.

Please Make it worth our while or knock the chance to .25% or disable it until you have time to make the needed changes. Please. :) If you have other pressing issues I understand but please, for now, save the keyboards. :p

2. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Please no! I get most of my resources from random encounters!

how about an opt-out?

amaasing, FrostII, Chatele and 9 others like this.
  3. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I'm with you Aartemis. They are a great annoyance. However, Doom Angel, I know where you are coming from. And yes, there are times (particularly at lower levels) when I loved the encounters. However, when my inventory is full and I am 50 pounds overweight a heard of cows does not "capture my attention" as I am trying to get to Ardoris. I am in favor of an opt out of non-ambush situations.

Aartemis, I agree also with the vendor encounter being worthless. How about he buys things at full price (or 3/4). Or sells raw mats. Or something worthwhile.

What I would really like (as has been stated elsewhere) would be a skill that would increase or reduce chances for random encounters based on your setting. Sometimes I might be looking for cows. Sometimes I might be trying to sneak by those bandits.

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

Some kind of cooldown on how often you can get dragged into a random encounter?
    so once got into one will not get into another until N minutes has passed

amaasing, FrostII, Mishri and 5 others like this.
  5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I mean in the short term, yeah. Because "I" really don't care about the leather or animal guts. if there was a secret mine entrance, or hidden rare fishing hole that I might come across... I mean you get the idea. I just know there is not. Point is, they are not done enough to be an "across the board" benefit so forcing everyone into them RIGHT NOW just causes frustration. Since we can't avoid them RIGHT NOW, sure give us an option until they can tweak them to their final vision.

"Something on the side of the road catches your eye... Do you want to investigate?"

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

This

FrostII, CrazyPhil, smack and 3 others like this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

+1
    The only time I get annoyed by a random encounter is when it is shared by other players and all the resources are harvested when I arrive.

8. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

How come all these people that don't want random encounters get them, and those of us that would like them can't get any? 3x going to Ardoris, you say? I go back and forth so much on that path trying to catch one. Hell, I spent over 15 minutes on the map in certain areas, just trying to catch one that I like and nothing.

So, yeah, make it optional but don't disable them, please?;)

9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I believe that an 'opt-out' is in the works for future releases. ie. You see a pack of wolves on the over world map and have a choice to move towards them, which pulls you in or you completely avoid it.

Kara Brae and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. crydee

crydee Avatar

Hear Hear!

The random encounter really brings me back to all those JRPGs I played as a child. I do find them terribly frustrating in this game though as they occur not while I am wandering, but while I am trying to get somewhere with purpose. Which means they are an interruption and not something exciting.

But to be honest they aren't that bad, unless they happen back to back. Loading into a random scene multiple times while trying to get from a to b is very frustrating!

Jivalax Azon and Heradite like this.
  11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I know i did this suggestion some releases back.

I made a Demo Video below.

But i am no developer so no clue about duability and difficulty.

This was the idea:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Jivalax Azon and Spoon like this.
  12. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Random Encounters tend to only happen when you are trying to get somewhere for a reason. If you are just exploring the map and don't care if you get them? They stop happening.

13. smack

smack Avatar

This +1000. I suggested this very thing before. It should be an opt-in experience and they should make the experience so rewarding that we want to click "Yes" most, if not all of the time. The roving encounters are supposed to be the annoying ones :)

Jivalax Azon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

There must be something wrong with what I'm doing because I don't get hardly any random encounters, I wish I got more believe me...

Jivalax Azon and 4EverLost like this.
  15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Well one day you will be able to see incoming enemies and avoid them.

Also
    I think random encoumters do not need gates to show us the exit.
    They make it look small.

It is like having a livingroom that is small and placing to much furniture in it.

If you want this small room to feel bigger you remove the door and get mirrors.

So do not show how small it is. Give us a feel of "We are travelling and remove those gates on tiny random zones.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

AFAIK, random encounters happen only in two areas:

- Hidden Vale
    - South of the Control Points, along Perennial Coast

I've roamed all the north, repeatedly, for long walks, and never, ever found a RE.

Cross Eastreach Gap or Brightbone Pass, and they're everywhere.

Jivalax Azon, Aartemis and Budner like this.
  17. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Agreed! Especially because most of them, run in any random direction for 30 seconds and you hit the exit... no need for gates on those.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  18. Margard

Margard Avatar

Like the idea but would like it to be a little more suspenseful - a hint as to what you may encounter - and have some stay as they are now (complete surprise)

Hazard likes this.
  19. Majestic

Majestic Avatar

This is a great idea.

In fact I think maybe you can have two types of instances. One where you are jumped by monsters and you can select to jump in and fight or try and random chance roll (or based on some skill) to avoid, almost like an old school D&D RPG. The other is for instances with cows, merchant etc where you can simply opt not to go in. And as someone else suggested, have it so the text gives you some hint on what it might be without it spoiling it.

I think too if/once roaming bandits come in on the overhead map it will be better as well. Also maybe if you can see where other people have been pulled in so if you wanted to help/investigate you could like partys can.

20. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

I used to really dislike random encounters....I mean REALLY DISLIKE them. However, there have been lots of changes in them with the last 2 releases that now I don't mind them at all. If we turn them off then we will not have an opportunity to test out any additional changes that might be on the drawing board for them. After all - the reason we have access is to test. I have found that the resources are plentiful which makes them at least profitable. And if I am over-burdened or just in a rush to get somewhere, I just turn around and leave. No harm done.

I think they need to stay - I don't think we need an opt out or there would not be any testing done on them. I do think there needs to be a cool down though. I got pulled into 4 of those babies within 2 seconds of each other a few days ago so a cool down period would be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.