Should Open-PVP be a filter?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Crazy Phil, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I know this sounds scary, but with everyone already existing on the same server essentially and not individual unique "Shards"... should Open-PVP simply be a filter like Single Player Online or Friends Only for example?

This basically creates a "Felucca", but a Felucca that spans every Shard simultaneously, which is not ideal, but at least a better situation than what Ultima Online ended up being in.

Shardfalls, Open-PVP towns, and Open-PVP arenas become crossroads for all filtered players to interact with eachother. PVP rule-sets can span every single scene for the PVP filtered players (scene-loot, ransom, trophy taking, etc).

The only players you'll see running around will be your fellow PVPers. No need for the "Open PVP" tag on the head anymore.

I don't know... are there any strong arguments against why this couldn't be cool in a game that captures so many varied players in one world of coexistence?

I guess the biggest argument would be the freedom to easily switch between as an escape mechanism right? Maybe the conversation with the Oracle should be about locking you away into the Open-PVP realm? For an extended duration or perhaps even permanently?

Thoughts?

2. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

The Oracle reminds me of this guy:
    [​IMG]

Abydos likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

the answer to your question is NO. If all you want to se is PvP people enter a shardfal, PvP town, etc.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with Weins201.

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think there should be a filter for PVP. I am fine with the flag, but I think organic PVP is only possible when everyone you see is valid. Like wise I would like an RP filter too. I understand the main reason for this is whether the population will be large enough to filter the player base this much. Honestly I see myself playing single player or friends online the most with full multiplayer restricted to events.

I don't think the filter will create a Felucca/Trammel thing since it will still be the same world and people will be able to turn filters on and off. This would be even more true if control points and pvp conflicts affect people all the way to single player like previously discussed. However, I think this will be something more for future episodes since it is outside of the plan so far.

Abydos likes this.
  6. mrsanders

mrsanders Avatar

I would love to have that too, from a PVE perspective. I play RPGs for their immersion, and nothing destroys that immersion than to players beating the crap out of each other (inside cities etc..), without the environment (npcs, guards, other players) reacting. So not only do i not want to engage in PVP, i also don't want to encounter it (apart from war-zones maybe...)

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

It was my understanding that being flagged as PVP is one of the elements the server will take in consideration when assigining you to an instance, along with your friends and other stuff, so you will see PVE players but not as often as PVP players. Maybe i'm wrong and it's not intended to work that way... but it seems logical to me. Not exclusion, but preference.

Nonetheless I always liked the idea of being flagged pvp making certain zones selective towards PVP or PVE players, mostly the adventuring scenes. That way you know every player you encounter is a threat if you're flagged PVP... which is what pvp flagged players want (mostly?). I don't like that for non PVP cities, because they're places where i'd like to see lots of people unregarding their status. Besides, the guards are supposed to protect the cities eventually, so we can assume cities are not places meant to be "PVP'ing around" even when it will happen :p

I also can't think about major reasons for not doing that, but the opposite does come up off the top of my head. I don't see the oracle conversation as a major problem since you need to go back to town to do that... if you're tired of PVP you just leave with your loot; the ransom system is supposed to be there to recover it... take your revenge fast or lose your chance! it's kind of thrilling.

The only thing that should be looked carefully is how parties behave when composed by PVP flagged and non flagged players... but i'd say this could be done, and could be good.

8. Drocis the Devious

Selective multiplayer.

9. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Selective Multiplayer does not sort or filter you by PVP status. Originally, ks days, I thought this would be how it worked, but since it has been said PVP status is not part of how users are sorted together. This also because less optimial when pvp-focused users are not exclusively sorted together.

With this feature I think a lot of pvp/non-pvp or open pvp/pvp arguments would MOOT themselves out.

10. Drocis the Devious

If you live in Rats' Nest, which is open pvp...you're highly likely to see Rats' Nest people in the Shardfall, in other towns, and all over Novia. I'm not saying Selective Multiplayer will look directly at PVP flags. I'm saying that your association with PVP will naturally lead you to be around people that enjoy PVP. I don't think we'll have a problem with this.

11. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Selective multiplayer is just that.

You will be paired with other PvP players mainly.

Don't fix what aint broken :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

So upon release it's intended to work this way isn't it?
    I'm just curious ^^

13. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I have no idea how things will be at Launch. Noone does.

But you will be paired with people with " simular interrests and playstyle " . if that doesnt mean pvp is a major factor in pairing, than what it?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The devs have said PVP will not be part of the Selective Multiplayer filter. You will be filtered by friends, people you have seen or interactived with and random strangers. Your play preference is not intended to filter you. At least that is the last I have heard of it. Would love a quote if that changed.

The reason is because they want to limit the instances they need to spin up (cost) and ensure there is always a pool of players to be sorted together to make a scene feel populated. Restricting the filter too much will equal a more expensive infrastructure or unpopulated scenes.

15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

As a PvP player, my point of view is to see only other PvP players outside towns and cities. Otherwise, i think PvE and PvP can meet each other in NPC Town.

So, I'm for PvP Server with Full LooT, there would be so many players and guild attracted by server lile that. People dream of a UO like game.

Unfortunately it does not happen with SotA.

The current system is not ideal, but still not bad.

KuBaTRiZeS and Umbrae like this.
  16. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

WHY???? why do you care who pvpers see, hes right i have absolutely no interest in see or interacting with non pvpers. instead of listening to how we want to play the game you are boxing us into shardfalls and pvp towns. we want the ability, and "ever lingering possibility" to fight anywhere anytime with anybody for any reason. if others dont like to play that way i would just as well not see them in game. There has been a bulling issue here on the forums not with the pvpers, but with the pvers. the pvers are trying to decide how and when pvpers can fight, and thats not right! We as a group of pvpers love the excitement and thrill of fighting each other we should be able to do so if we want WITHOUT having all this bulling issue going on telling us how we can play the game. and if we like to play this way why should player spaces be filled up with people we dont want to see? since this is not a mmo theres only so many people per scene.

This is NOT a personal attack againts you Weins201. This is for the defense of everybody who enjoys a pvp style of game play that is apparently considered taboo here.

17. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

whats a good battle without innocents present, staring in awe?

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  18. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

There are no innocents not in this game the pvers wont allow it. :(

19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Sometimes PVP and non-PVP people are friends and like to associate, so being flagged for PVP should not prevent such intermingling.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I think giving the player any kind of control over the filter is a bad idea. Selective multiplayer is more than enough. If there is any level of sorting for open PvP 1, we should not know it 2, it should not be set in stone.

Ned888 and Doom Angel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.