Are you New, dont fret the game is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Weins201, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

It is Complex, This release juat changed skill training COMPLETLY, A lot of players who playered already had ALOT of skill points they are just training willy nilly, which you do NOT have and they will not have in the future with future releases.

Here is some info that "might" help you out, and I will link another htread that give some info on the Quests out there. or I will add them as I gather them.

Enjoy, Explore, Train, and Quest - Good Luck

BE SMART Look at the skills - what they doo - what Innate are there.

I would suggest pick a fighting (or Mage) style YOU want to use, also pick your armor type Heavy or Light.

You WILL need some focus to use special moves and / or spells but I would wait until you can fight a little before you pick spells.

You can use death touch to heal and NO healing to keep yourself alive if you chose.

But for simple learning I would chose Swords and Heavy Armor with a little healing to start out and learn skills how they work and how to increase them.

Swords - I would train Blade Master up until 10 then Lock it and unlock the next two in the tree (Thrust, Dbl Slash, Blade Speed). Once Speed is 10 LOCK it and work on raising Vital Points and Mastery. I would also prob lock Thrust and Dbl Slash once they hit 10 and move on to Rend and Riposte. Once you have all those skills unlocked and at 10 I would then leave only the ones you want to work on set to raise.

Armor - Heavy I would run Glancing Blow up to 10 and then lock it and unlock the rest of the innates and Inner Strength I would raise inner strength, but LOCK Deflection immediately as it is useless but rasi some skills in Hard Head and Endurance. Once they are at 10 I would lock them and become more specific in training.

Tactics - Healthy to 10 then lock it and unlock ALL the others in the next row (if you have the gold) if not make sure you unlock Str and Dex. I would not set them all to raise just Str and Dex but UNOCK them all. you can lock them and unlock them NOT at a trainer so changing can be done on the fly (as long as they are unlocked) I would work ONLY Str and Dex until your dex is at least 10 and Str to 20 then I would consider training other skills in the trees.

Focus - Heightened Awareness - 10 and lock ( starting to look familiar)then I would unlock all the next row but only Train Intel and Quick Swapping - once quick swapping is 10 LOCK it and move into next innate Inner Calm. I would unlock Follow thru but ONLY if you are going to have 2 dack and swap them if not do waste the time.

In Magics Trees I would work on SOME healing 10 - just to unlock next row and the spread it around as you chose and or Death Magic - Tap Soul works VERY well to get Focus back IF you have health stable. If you are getting beat up it can kill you but once at 10 you can unlock Death Touch and its innate to make it work better and use that in a fight to heal you.

This I a VERY basic start to a Sword / Heavy Armor Dexer - there are MANY templates you could chose but you HAVE to plan and use your points accordingly. If you just turn them ALL up you will get points in places you don't want / need right off the bat.

You need to be able to Hit / Kill some small creature and heal thru some minor damage.

As you work and get Stronger and Faster you will be able to take on other critters.

Again I would not just SPAM any spells as they use up points in skill that will NOT help you in the long run.

If you want more help in Game look for me "Grumpie Weinine" I will be happy to show you around , take you out and watch your back, or even set you up with some Equipment, and or gold.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Daxxe posted this - A lot of good info but no need to spam heal as I stated you cannot kill if all you can do is heal but a good bit of info here

I'll give you some advice that will help you survive. First off, the skill system is a use-based one, meaning the more you use a skill or spell... the better/stronger it gets. When you improve the starter skills to level 10, they usually open up better skills that you can buy that will help you greatly. But, in order to buy them, you need gold (currently, they cost 100 gold each). So how do you make some quick gold?

Easiest that I have seen early on is delivering the mail for the town criers. Walk up to the town crier in Soltown, Ardoris, and/or Solania and type in "mail" (without the quotes) and they will give you a mail package and a destination to bring it. Then all you need to do is leave that town, walk on the overland map to that destination, enter it and find the town crier there. After collecting your reward (75g each time I believe... may be more for the first time, I forget)... say mail to get another package to deliver. I believe Soltown sends you to Ardoris - Ardoris sends you to Solania - Solania sends you to Soltown. They could be random though, so don't quote me on this. Put basically, they send you back and forth between those 3 towns. The only risk involved is if you get pulled into a random encounter from the overview map. If that happens, simply run straight thru to the exit and you are back to safety. Soltown will be on the east coast of the overview map. Ardoris will be southwest a bit from Soltown, and Solania will be northwest of Soltown. The Ardoris run is pretty simple... just follow the road heading that way. Solania is a bit trickier to find. You need to head north a bit from Soltown and pass the first trail to the left, making a left up a bit more. Then hug the hillside and weave through the marshes, crossing a couple bridges. Once you make these back and forth runs a few times, you should have several hundred gold to use for skill training:

Hit K to open up your skills window and you will see all the skill trees and what is available. You will notice that most new skills/spells require you to increase the one above it to level 10 before it's available (mouse over the icon and read the red text at the bottom). Also, sometimes a skill requires 2 prior skills leveled up first. Knowing that, look through all of the options and see what you could improve right away to help you survive. Improved healing and defense comes to mind so...

The first thing you want to do is stand in town and spam your healing spell until your finger hurts. Then switch fingers and continue some more. While you are doing this, keep an eye on the life magic skill tree (keep the K window open in background) and when it hits level 10 you can take a short break. At the bottom of each skill/spell icon, you will see a green line ticking across as you use it. Then the green line makes it all the way, the level goes up one... so you can track your progress and know just when a skill will level up. [As a side-note - you will notice that your healing spell should be increasing in effectiveness as you level it up...mouse over the tool tip to see what the current level does and what the next level will increase to.]

Now when you get this to level 10, find a skill trainer and buy the 3 new spells you have opened up. If you are still low on gold, sell all the looted items you have so you can afford them. If you don't have enough for all 3, you will have to get what you can for now and then buy the other(s) as you can afford them. Start with Life Power as this is a passive skill that increases as you use any Life magic spell, and makes them all better as this levels up along side them. Next you can either choose the Healing Ray (medium heal that heals more but has a short cast time instead of the instant Healing Touch) ... or you can choose Purify (This will cure poisons from spiders and the plague from zombies, as well as some other debuffs you might get.) I would suggest you get all 3 if you can and then spam those in town (along with Healing Touch) to make them a bit better before heading out to combat. Don't worry about opening up the next tier of Life spells yet. For one thing, they are mainly based on healing/curing others in a group and secondly, most of them depend on reagents to cast successfully. If anything, you might want to pick up Banish Undead if you plan to hunt skelly's or zombies a lot.

If you still have some gold leftover from your mail runs, go back to the trainer and pick up some skills in the Strategy branch: Train Strength, Train Dexterity, and Armor Preservation (all in the Tactics Tree, available after Healthy reaches level 10) and Train Intelligence (In the Focus Tree, available after Heightened Awareness reaches level 10). These skills will increase your base stats, which determine your attack rating and how often you hit/miss and how much damage you do. The Armor Preservation will help keep your armor from damaging/breaking and will save you on repair kits down the road. The best part about all of these is they are passive skills that will get better as you fight or use your basic skills/spells. In fact, if you can grab these before you purchase the 3 Life spells I suggested above, then these stat skills will increase as you train those other spells up as well.

Lastly, if you are still using Light Armor that they started you with (cloth or leather) then make sure you use the Dodge skill as often as you see it pop up when you are fighting. The defense it provides will help you survive longer in a fight. However, if you happen to pick up any heavy armor in your travels (chainmail or plate) then you need to buy that skill from a trainer first so you can wear it. Heavy armor is MUCH better at helping you survive early on, so if you can get your hands on any I suggest making the switch. It may cause you to fizzle more, but the better defense is worth it. Also, the lower level Life tree spells are barely affected by the heavy armor fizzle modifier.

Oh, one more thing... if you open your skills window (K) you will see a small dash or green triangle in the upper left of each skill/spell icon. The green triangle means that you are currently working towards improving that skill (so it will draw points from the experience "pool" you have which is tied to your adventurer level). The dash means you are not training that skill/spell. So, if you want to improve a specific skill/spell then you can turn everything else off by clicking on the triangle. This will put more of the points into the ones you want to improve faster. I would suggest leaving all of the passives on as you want them to improve as high as possible... but if you reach level 10 in a skill and open up the next tier, you can turn the one off and put more points into the new skill to improve that faster. For instance, if you open up Healing Ray, you can lock Healing Touch so that when you use Healing Touch during a fight, it doesn't go up. Instead, the point pool will be reserved for the Healing Ray (and anything else you leave ON).

Hope all that helps and makes sense. My point is, get to know the skill / spell system and try to streamline as best you can. Work on and improve survival stuff before you even fight. Then when you start fighting, you have better heals and better defense than when you first got in the game.

One thing that most people don't realize is that the skill points pool is based on your adventurer experience level (hit V to see this as well as your other character stats). There is also a cap level of 100. So, once you hit 100 your skill pool points will no longer be gained. This means that once you hit 100, your skills/spells will only be able to be improved by what is left in the tank so to speak. So, the most important thing to realize long-term is to make sure you turn off training of unnecessary skills after they unlock something you want below them. You can always unlock them later on once you get all the stuff you want. But what you don't want to do is things that I did like allowing the Heavy Amor Tree Skill - Deflection - to reach level 66 when this skill isn't even really in the game and does nothing (No icon means it is a placeholder skill to get to the next tier). I wasted 56 points in that skill that do nothing for my character right now and could have gone into something else instead. Now, that skill will likely get added in later (once they balance it or figure out how they want it to work) so when game goes "Live" it wouldn't be so bad. But for now, it was a waste of points that I will never get back. Now do that sort of thing on a couple skills/spells and it all adds up. I'm not at level 100 yet so I don't see the negative effect of it yet... but if I get there before a skills wipe then I will. So always be conscious of what skill/spell training is on and which you can safely turn off.

Good luck!

nancysmiles, smack, Mishras and 6 others like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Also don't forget to Skin all you kill, Cut down every tree you can, Dig up every ore you find, cut up every Cotton tree you see, and pick up every reagent you come across these will start you gaining in the Crafting Skills :)

smack, Mishras, Mata and 2 others like this.
  4. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Thanks for the effort Weins, well written! :)

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I always thought your avatar was Grumpie Weinie. Was this a typo or am I mistaken?

Nice post!

6. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Nice post Weins and good advice to heed, but not everyone is making the game out to be bad. :p

I'd definitely recommend new players this release specifically try out melee and heavy armor. The biggest mistake is not turning off all the useless skills right off the bat so the exp you make isn't spread too thin and being wasted on skills you won't use. Also, starting in the Focus tree early on seems essential. Turn off everything but some defense and what you need to attack and focus. A lot of them simply seem in the dark about how the skills and deck work to begin with.

Roper DocHoliday suggested in another thread forming a sort of alliance to help new players out and meeting on Weds in Soltown to do just that. I think it's a great idea. I would not be opposed to several of us collaborating on a simplified tutorial like this to copy in-game and hand out. I realize there is an official one but I don't find it very comprehensive.

We need to be looking at and answering what questions are they asking most frequently. And turning around those who may have been teetering on the edge of just giving up.

nancysmiles likes this.
  7. dracco

dracco Avatar

another skill set that can help is
    Bludgeon it has damage with two damage modifiers strength and weapon . having earth magic strength and damage resistance.
    tactics strength and heavy armor Inner Strength and earths Strength of Earth makes a strong damage hitter
    and strength ups your hp for a little bit helps

8. Mishra

Mishra Avatar

Great advise... Thank you

9. Monarkh

Monarkh Avatar

Wow, I didn't know about the skill points pool, thank you.

10. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Dont mistake being purposely and extremely vague about information (like "attack skill" etc) and hiding all the core numbers (like exp earned of enemies, progress towards next level, exp in exp pool currently, exp required to train skill to next level etc etc) and general information and systems and how they interact, for complexity.

Game isnt complex at all. Like anything new, it just seems like alot to take in and learn, but it doesnt end up taking long and isnt hard nor complex.

What makes it seem that way is lack of information from as mentioned being so vague, hiding numbers, or the information just not being there online to look up or explained in a proper extensive tutorial, currently.

Weins201 likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Hence why it IS complex, and if people don't see it / understand it I offered to help and explain.

12. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

13. Agkistrodon

Agkistrodon Avatar

I decide delete my current char coz I wasted lots of pool points.
    BTW will the house and basement deleted when I delete my current char?

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Humm if I rem correctly your house and stuff stay with the account, I did this a while back to tst but don't rem if I had a basement or not :) Sorry also not really on topic :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.