Dynamic POT's

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by The Unwanted, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

Are they changeable after launch? Will a person be able to reset the whole town if wanted?

mbomber likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It was stated in the last hang out that it would be very easy to upgrade via purchase (in-game or otherwise I'm sure) after launch. Also as the owner can evict people if they want.. as well as being able to move stuff around. the short answer is yes but I doubt there will be a 'reset' button.

3. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

Ok Cool. If I bought a holdfast and wanted to rent it out for functions for other players then I could change the look. Kind of like a world stage.

mbomber and Atogrim like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You would only be able to change the buildings of course.. but right now we can pick up and place lots and buildings at will. It will quite possibly be the same for NPCs but we should expect limits on this at launch to people don't abuse features.. Probably a cool down or some kind of cost but it should be possible.

Atogrim and The Unwanted like this.
  5. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

thats pretty decent. Maybe we could brainstorm and find out what could be abused and what could be positives. I think this Idea could be a great help to any acting crews or people that like to role play. What do you think that could be some negatives? I am purely speculating here so it would be good if we could cover these bases.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well the most obvious abuse off the top of my head would be swapping out NPCs to use their respective services. You want craft supplies.. place a craft merchant.. want to sell you weapons.. take that NPC out and place one that buys weapons.. swap that out again to sell your armor etc..

7. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

Ohh I can see that part. Hrmm. That would throw a wrench in it. What if you never did place any merchants? Just statues and stuff

mbomber likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would imagine a cost and timer on merchants would be a given. Décor I don't think would be much of a problem as it's only cosmetic though there has been talk of statues giving blessings.. so if that were the case you have pretty much the same issue without some kind of restriction.

I really don't think it's much to worry about unless say.. you wanted to rent out for several events in a single day. If I were designing those features I'd have something like a 48 hour cool down on merchants or 'buildings'.. but there would also have to be a timer on them that allows you to swap them out before finalizing their placement also. Something like.. you can move them until you enable/use them or something like that.. then the cool down kicks in. It's just frequent swapping you'd want to avoid.. otherwise town owners should be free to change those things up as much as they want.

9. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

Thanks for the input.

mbomber likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Doesn't that sound fabulous, and some wonder why people rail against these being in the lore.

EDIT: Does anyone else honestly think being able to randomly change the form of the town at will is a little bit off?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Tarsin likes this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Right now there are no purchasable towns with overland access like you are seeing in the game. New purchases would need to be linked to other towns. This really needs to be in epic large print for people who may not understand what they are buying.

Tyde likes this.
  12. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Oh, yes it does. Equally as fabulous is that POT Holdfasts will have the same space as a Metropolis. While the rest of the zones in the game will properly fit the content, POTs that aren't metropolis in size will not. But, hey at least with a dynamic POT I can purchase more space to fill the void from the addon store. Excellent. I really want to like POTs. I have one after all, but there is a lot to be desired.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Who gives a flying rip how big the scene is? What matters is the amount of space you can actually build. Having a holdfast just means there's a ton of land that's pretty much useless. It is nice that you can upgrade your square meters but it's not fair or accurate to imply a holdfast has the "same space" when that space can't be used for anything.

Says who? In fact, I'm wondering how this statement even makes any sense. What do you mean by "properly fit the content"?

Malchor1, Womby, mbomber and 4 others like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Waiting for constructive reasoning.

Malchor1, Womby and mbomber like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There are many reasons that towns shouldn't be so liquid that they can change on a dime. You should be able to figure out why I don't think PoT's should be part of the lore.

This is a roleplaying game, at least I thought it was. The more things have been changing the more I see it catering to the 1%.

I have a hard time being constructive about PoT's at all, because I didn't want them in the game. I feel they water down the whole game with a few NPC towns and a bunch of fiefdoms.

You don't have to like my opinion.

16. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I give a flying rip, and I couldn't disagree more. That's not what matters at all. What matters, to me, is having a scene that looks like it properly fits the content. If you need help comprehending my words, I invite you to visit every NPC town in the game, where it's very clear the content/assets/scenery in the zone was added with a specific purpose. This is not the case in POTs. Players who own a Holdfasts will have an exceptional amount of empty, useless space.

From what I understand, you're not upgrading square meters of zone space. You're upgrading square meters of housing space, and this is positively horrible. Unless I miss understood DarkStarr, it is an entirely fair implication, given the description of POTs on the purchase page.

This is precisely the problem.

Malchor1 likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

1st.. whether or not I like your opinion is irrelevant. 2nd.. I'm not a mind reader.. if you don't explain why you don't like something then what goes does it do to say anything about it? 3rdly How is it a problem for RP? The existence of towns in of itself is perfectly natural and you're not forced to go to player towns you don't want to go to. That's totally your choice.. so I'm not buying there's any kind of problem there. Also you may recall the suggestions above for features NOT to "change on a dime" but for RP purposes of course changes take time.. but we don't exactly have a Hearthfire expansion here.

The 'whole game' is still in tact.. you can just ignore them for yourself.. so again.. not seeing your issue. Feels like mountains from molehills to me.

Duke Albert, Womby, mbomber and 2 others like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Failing to see why extra space is a problem. The world doesn't end at a town's borders. If it were a seamless world you wouldn't even notice. So if you're only grievance here is unused space because the zone doesn't shrink wrap around the town.. then it doesn't make a lot of sense to me why that's an issue.

Efilnikufesin, Womby, mbomber and 3 others like this.
  19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If we go by the trade- your-NPCs comment by Starr Long in the hangout. Then it seems that you select your NPC houses, and they are added as your "item". The only way to exchange that then would be to trade it with another player...
    But its too early to say.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The problem isn't your opinion.
    The problem is that you start to sound aggressive about it.
    I can understand that because your have to argue with/against the pot owners which are a pretty organized group of people.

If it calms you: I am for a one time set up if it comes to npc buildings. Choose it, place it and it's there for ever.

I am on the other hand for flexible lot placement. That's the benefit over static towns. Static towns get the 'handcrafted' deco, dynamic pots get the flexible lots.
    With a cool down of course. If the pot looks different every weekend, that would suck.

mbomber, Kaisa and cartodude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.