PvP town and Banning Permissions, Does it cross the line?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Sold and gone, Sep 20, 2015.

?

Do you like pvp towns to have banning permissions?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I do not care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm not trying to be dismissive. Really, I'm not. I agree that it is bad for PvP to have an open ban. But just removing the ability to ban isn't the answer.

I want to bring as many folks to the game as possible, PvP players or not. I understand why this is important.

2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I would say "eat me" but I know you get off on that.;)

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Move all your noncombat events to a PVE zone and you're defeating the purpose of owning a Pvp Pot. Does Violation run to a pve zone every time he wants to host gustball? No, he lives breathes and bleeds Vengeance and that is why Vengeance is successful. Its a lifestyle, not a combat zone.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes, basically creating mods by cash...doesn't matter if its a light reason....or if its just a click doing it....sounds like this type of system could never be abused.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK Rune. So I'm a PvPer. I go to a PvP POT and the POT owner bans me for no good reason.

So I either 1) go back to the POT and try my luck again or 2) move on and do something else. So what.

Meanwhile every time that POT owner bans someone for a bogus reason, he diminishes the popularity and enjoyment of that POT. Not exactly an incentive to ban people without good reason.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Has the no vote won yet?

7. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

I may be wrong but it seems like everyone is talking about a perma ban from a town.
    It is possible some people may just be having a bad day and be totally out of control.
    It would be nice to get them out the area and give them a chance to cool down.

Xandra7 likes this.
  8. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Still need some of the yes voters to log onto their other accounts and click up the votes so it balances what the No voters already did.

Its another 10 pages of futility tbh. The ban option is there and its not going to go away.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  9. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

i think my last sentence show that i understand your worries i guess ^^?

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There is a personal property element here. Which is why I relate it to a house and not a bunch of houses with a zone around it.

This location would not exist in game if someone did not purchase it. It will not have content relevant to the story. The entirety of the world within the POT exists within the POT and one person made that happen.

So if you can't go to this one location because you have been banned. Does it matter? It doesn't exist any more. 1 person could have possible used the ban command to escape your wrath. Or that 1 person could have been removing you for hundreds of reasons that the ToS wouldn't cover.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

12. Bolck

Bolck Avatar

Who here would create a PVP POT and want the banning permission ???

NO ONE

Locked Topic.

13. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

Lol I would why cause some people just have no frigging sense would I use it probably not. But I still would want the option to. Those of us that been around long enough probably remember a few names that would be on every pvp event cordinators list why cause they are toxic and disrupt the event and skirt tos to the line

Xandra7 and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Hmmm lets see if I can think of a reason off the top of my head.

A POT owner and residents that do not regularly PvP want to have a PvP event at their home. What's their choice. Flag open PvP and deal with any and every PvPer wanting to attack them. Or set up their POT as PvP and have their event. If someone comes in and can't respect that they are new to PvP and do not wish to be involved with open PvP. How do they deal with that person? It's not against the ToS to kill on sight. So the people not respecting the wishes of the people of the event have no harassment report recourse.

(I know I know, employ some PvPers to guard your event. Mean while, those people get their PvP in your POT but you are limited to paying someone that may or may not be successful at guarding you so you can have your event)

The POT being PvE or PvP doesn't matter. Because the same situation comes into play if they flag open PvP. Then we would have people complaining that PvE POT owners can ban open PvP.

Xandra7 and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, there are already in-game tools to facilitate events in PvP towns, such as the Arena PvP basement. Ask for more in-game tools such as this. The "World is a Stage" stretch goal is going to make events in ANY town, even PvP ones, much easier to manage, because you can restrict who can enter it and even what they do while inside the area. Ask for more structures like this, along with suggestions for the kinds of restrictions you want per event or structure type. There is no need for a scene-wide ban, anywhere.

majoria70 likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

Like I said, there are already tools to facilitate events in PvP towns. Just ask for more in-game tools and structures. There is no need for a scene-wide ban when you have in-game tools to hold disruption-free events in specific areas of your town.

But a PvP town is a PvP town is a PvP town. If you can hide within an entire scene, PvP is absolutely meaningless and useless in this game. You can hide in your house sure. You can try and hide in your POT -- if they create physical town walls/gates that are lockable. But it's beyond stupidity that you can hide behind a magic invisible wall and exploit scene instancing mechanics, or worse, hide behind the "but I want disruption free events" mantra. Which again, I point out there are already tools to do so within any town. Just ask for more of that kind. There is no need for a scene-wide ban that exploits instancing mechanics.

17. smack

smack Avatar

I would love to own Ruins. :)

I see your point, that even PvP towns want a sense of community and stuff. But...they consensually said "attack me anywhere for any reason at anytime" by living in a PvP town, or flagging themselves Open PvP. Do they have no accountability or responsibility or don't want to own up to their decision? If they don't want to PvP, don't live in a PvP POT or flag themselves PvP. It's really that simple.

And again, there are in-game tools to facilitate disruption-free events such as Arena PvP basements. Ask for more structures like that.

18. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, but as I said in another post -- to what end? Ok, so I bought a POT, does that mean I am above the game's core ruleset? I paid cash so I can lobby to not obey the Oracle? That I can avoid the core evil in this game and not be subjugated to town sieges? That I can ban someone from an entire scene to protect/grief/what-ever-you-want-to-call-it from PvP -- even though, you consensually flagged your town as PvP and all your residents are forced to be PvP who also agreed to live under that core ruleset....yet you want an exception to it?

Banishment from an entire scene is stupid, and is even incredibly mind-boggingly stupid for a PvP scene. Ask for more in-game tools such as Arena PvP basements and similar structures, where you can have disruption free events and limit what people can/can't do within the spectator areas or whatever. There is no need for a scene-wide ban when there are tools already available, especially with the upcoming "World is a Stage" feature.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I already said that the World is a Stage type theatres/arenas would solve most of these issues for events. Further tools would be great. That isn't the only thing that can go wrong in an Open PvP town. I also said that having ban work differently in PvP would be fine, which would remove instancing exploits and usage as an abusable mechanic.

Yes, the current ban function is not good for PvP. Removing the ban function completely is not good until other methods to deal with toxic behavior are available. Even then, it could be modified to still have value.

Duchess Fionwyn and smack like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

I would tend to agree, except there are POT owners are are saying they want the existing scene-wide bans to be permanent powers, irregardless of any new in-game tools, alternate proposals or suggestions. I'm not against some amount of town manageability for POT owners -- or any community wherever it exists really, just not with the current specific implementation of a scene-wide ban. I said it before, but I think this is the response we're getting despite trying to come up with alternate solutions to the beyond-stupid existing scene-wide ban powers:

Harmony2 and Browncoat Jayson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.