What happens after every wipe

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by daveo4, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveo4

daveo4 Avatar

Hello,

Quick question, what happens after every wipe? Do we lose everything and have to start again or are you given the relevant experience gained back?

Any info would be appreciated.

Dave

2. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

Wipe is wipe. All gone except pledge rewards. Rewards are put in bank. Everyone makes new characters. I think skill gain is faster now because its prealpha. I don't think there's a wipe today (release 22) though.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The next wipe will be on October 29, when R23 is released.

Upon a wipe in some of the past releases the Devs have carried over experience from the previous release so that experienced players who had to create new avatars could level up more quickly, but they may not do that in R23. I haven't seen an announcement about that possibility.

aaronvf and Edward Newgate like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

Meh, so another month of skewed progression results? Not a fan of that. :( Should have been a full wipe for R22, imo.

5. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

What happens after every wipe?

1) Group A is excited to be able to start over and play the game from the beginning now that a bunch of new changes have gone in, while Group B complains that they lost all of their progression and possessions.

2) Group A, having planned for the wipe, begins to rebuild, while Group B loses interest in playing, citing various excuses for why they aren't playing. Typically, people in Group B are solo players who don't want to interact with the player community.

3) Group A re-establishes the basic framework of what they had before the wipe, making improvements or changes where needed or where possible, while Group B has barely done anything, due to logging in only once or twice "to see if they've fixed <drummed-up issue that is the stated reason that they're not playing>".

Moral of the story?

Play the game, expect the wipes, continue ahead regardless.

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

And don't forget Group C.
    Group C abides.

Ronan, Koldar and Duke Raas like this.
  7. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Group C tend to pass from one release to another invisibly; they have no strong outliers to mark them separately, other than to know of their existence, much like we know that dark matter exists, but have no idea how to accurately measure it, or to understand the nature of its relationship to the cosmos.

Ronan, Duke Raas and Sir Frank like this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

You make a lot of bold assumptions about Group B, Jack.

galdrmadhr likes this.
  9. daveo4

daveo4 Avatar

Thanks guys.

Ps I went for option D, make cheese on toast

Wilfred and Arianna like this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm Group B, except I don't complain about wipes because I expect/know it's happening. So far Skill use based systems with skill trees still seems ridiculous to me. I'll likely play a lot more this release.. I love fishing... Nice solo player activity.

aaronvf likes this.
  11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Yes...dark matter *insert evil laugh*

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Jack Knyfe,

I'd think solo players would welcome wipes too at this point in game development. After all, there's only so much you can do in the game right now. Once you're high level and can defeat anything that comes in your way, and have tons of gold and can buy anything, its pretty boring. That is, unless you like grinding. So with a fresh start, you get things to do again.

The people most affected by wipes are the ones that want to do a lot of decoration for social purposes, and have to do their decoration all over again. And PvPers who want to be a certain level for fights.

Doom Angel and Jack Knyfe like this.
  13. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'm confused about the not-so-subtle negative connotations regarding "group B". Excuses? Drummed-up issues?

15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Hey you forgot to mention "group A has a lot more free time than group B", "Group B has to work to support themselves", and/or "Group B has a real life family" imo BWAHA

Zassik Dreadmort likes this.
  16. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

I'm assuming it was the group A people that caused me to stop playing for about 6 releases with their pms telling me to stop complaining about combat as SotA is about RPing, PvP, and decorating not PvE and if I wanted a PvE game to go elsewhere.

If anything I would think the people who make up group A would be screaming more than they do. Combat as it stands is sometimes fun in a group but mostly it's just a giant cluster of skill spamming and not even knowing what you have targeted.

I guess if you're in it for a midieval SIMS then you're pretty much there and don't have anything to complain about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.