Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R22 Loot system

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Abydos, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

Hi:

Although I have some concerns with the new pvp system, I have greatly enjoyed playing your game! I would enjoy playing pvp, however, as a "casual" player I am worried about how extreme the loot system is. Since the gaming time I have is limited (especially during the week), I am concerned that the amount of gear gambled in duelling would be prohibitive. I was wondering if a less severe form of pvp is being considered, or if others have had the same concerns. Any information you could give me would be appreciated.

Looking forward to future gaming,
    Wardgom

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

For the record.. and I've stated this before.. I seriously dislike the idea of ransom. I'm not a big PvPer.. in fact the ONLY PvP I ever engage is stems from RP.. but I'm also an advocate of opt-in full loot. So I guess maybe I'm a bit of an odd-ball in that regard.

I feel that ransom is entirely the wrong approach to take. Players are given the option through ransom to opt-OUT.. of loot. Rather I believe the thinking should be to allow players to opt-IN. This goes for trophies as well. Now "full loot" zones and PvP zones.. enabling a PvP flag those are all opt-in approaches but right now they're a package deal with trophies which goes above and beyond simple PvP.. looting and trophies are extra.

I'm looking at it as escalating risk. We should opt-in to the level of risk we want to take with balanced reward.

Now I imagine what happens if I kill Abydos in a fight and loot his corpse but I DON'T want his skull and he doesn't want to pay ransom for it? I would also find that almost annoying as having to pay ransom on my own bones. Plus how am I suppose to pay ransom if I'm dead or unconscious? The whole idea of ransom.. while mechanically serving a purpose.. is one of the most un-immersive systems in-game and is completely forced on all PvPers seeking loot. It really grates on my nerves.

That said.. this was the idea I came up with. Basically the premise was the more PvP you did the more control over how much risk vs reward you had in looting. Completely opt-in and not restricted to zones, and no ransom!

3. Trome

Trome Avatar

Don't go on Youtube man, you'll be traumatized :)

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

lol I'm not in the habit anyway.. thank goodness.

Abydos and Lord Hettar Fimbultyr like this.
  5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I support this suggestion!

wardgom likes this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

for some reason i was under the impression that the loot system let you select what to loot, as long as the items did not meet certain criteria (pot items, or rewards for example) - it really is a flipping lottery?

7. Sayumi

Sayumi Avatar

Great 3 items can be looted? What happened to 1 item @Chris Like was mentioned before? Is port caving and sneaking full loot in? If so I want a refund !!!

Yes ransom on trophy!

Not every PvP player (me) wants full loot. Hell no!!! UO loot days sucked!

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The latest thinking is that additional looting will be zone sensitive. I personally do not like this kind of zone-based thinking but it's probably a lot easier than a more complex rule set to ensure risk is optional.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not 100% true. The larger issue in UO that led to all of that is non-consensual PvP. Even without full loot, getting ganked nearly every time you went out would still have been very annoying. Full loot just made it that much more painful. But had PvP been consensual only I highly doubt it would have been nearly as much of an issue. It certainly would not have required the split. The two features combined just brought out the worst in people.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Are we back to this discussion again? I thought that this horse died, was beaten and rotted away but now you are starting to beat a skeleton...
    Can't we just go on with the game to get a version that is like it was announced during the Kickstarter campaign? A version that is some "final product"? We are not making any progress by this.
    Sorry, but I get the impression that by bringing up topics that have been debated to death and which I thought have been clarified quite some time ago is counterproductive to the progress of the game.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

+1

Abydos and mikeaw1101 like this.
  12. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

That sounds like the "slider bar" concept that was debated eons ago, before combat was even in the game yet.

13. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I like the idea of a somewhat random loot but never would i support full loot. About the trophy bodyparts I am not entirely sure if i should like it. Love the risk but dont want to stumble upon a pvpers house decorated with bodyparts and read my name on those.

14. Lithius

Lithius Avatar

Well that's sorta the point. It's supposed to add a little sting (i.e. bruising of ones ego) to losing a fight. It also makes the body parts of a very good (or famous/infamous) players valuable both for bragging rights and bounty.

15. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Of course that is the point and i like the thrill. So i better take care of my bodyparts.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If we learn anything from R21 it's that things change. They never talked about ransom during the kickstarter and yet here it is. A lot of people expected the old skill system and now we have a measure of use-base. Is not the ultimate goal to make the best game possible? And how is what's being discussed contrary to what we pitched to us during kickstarter? I don't recall ransom and body part trophies being outright promised (or rejected). I also don't recall any devs officially closing any such discussions.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't recall jumping in on any slider bar discussion. My suggestion was based off the old skill system only instead of skill you chose PvP options.. like how many items you wanted to risk/loot. ie if you wanted full loot and you got killed by someone else with the same looting level.. they would get full loot.. but if you were set at full loot and got killed by someone only risking 5 items.. they'd only be able to take 5 items. The same would apply to trophies. If you wanted trophies someone could take your parts as trophies as well. The idea came down to the lowest denominator.

What I liked about it was it applied everywhere. No specific need for zone based conditions anywhere. The more you PvPed the more risk/reward you could unlock. Like spending PvP XP on PvP options.

18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I understand that some people here really want open PvP with full loot and I can definitely understand the desire to get such a system in the game. Nevertheless for me it feels like we are treading water here when the game needs to advance. Don't get me wrong, if there is time to implement an (optional) full loot system, then ok. But aren't there other, more pressing things that need to be implemented right now?

Wilfred likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Thankfully we aren't talking about open PvP.. that is a ship that has most definitely sailed. Unfortunately, we do not have the insider knowledge we would need to only discuss what is most immediately relevant or know the best order in which to implement features.. nor for that matter the manpower available for each task. All we can do is talk about what is on our minds. It's the dev's job to take it all in and sort it out.

That is unless of course the dev's specifically bring up a topic which I'm always happy to discuss.

20. Bolck

Bolck Avatar

Only 2 items to loot in pvp is @$€!

More items pls.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.