Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Defeated by the Tour Guide Quest

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Koldar, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you still in game? throw me an invite, i'll zone in and draw their aggro.

2. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

no im good finalie reacht him for the 3rd time and was abel to talk to him before i died .
    but thank you for the offer.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Ive noticed a trend with other releases where, after a week or so, they (the devs?) sometimes reposition the tour guides to more accessible areas of a zone. That is, areas where you dont get stormed by mobs. I noticed this pattern around R12, so I stopped trying to do the grand tours for each release until about 2 weeks into the release. Ive never really leveled my toon, im the eternal lowbie, and Ive never had trouble getting a grand tour completed due to this.

So yah, I bet if you wait about 10 days and try again, theyll stick the tour guides near the zone entrance, and itl be easy as pie.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    yep, its true!

5. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

At lvl 60 I had no troubles with the ghosts, they did surprise me by how much damage they were doing though! My level 10'ish alt on the other hand got absolutely obliterated!

I'm still quite disheartened at the implementation of the use based system. It's great, however player level is still such an intricate part of the game system. Now it has been hidden, it makes the quest for in-game competency (being level appropriate for zones/encounters) a very arbitrary task. We need feedback on critical parts of the game progression.

Can someone help me understand the logic behind making core systems hidden from the players? I just don't understand.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Sure, the answer is, it isnt hidden. Its not only pre-alpha (so the game is so far from the finished product that we should all be amazed this many people can even play it), but its a roleplaying game. While its important to be able to toggle visibility of certain game metrics, in general, game immersion is dependent on, well, not being able to see the guts of the machine at all times. Im also not sure about the statement youre making, in a general sense. I doubt whatever it is you feel should be displayed is purposefully hidden.

Also, as for the comment about in-game competency (not sure if "competency" or "arbitrary" are appropriate word choices there... though it is Sunday afternoon and Im quite inebriated at the moment ;) ), again, its a roleplaying game. I absolutely applaud SoTA for defying forumla. 99% of all MMORPGs have the exact same formula for quests, leveling, level-appropriate-indication, etc, and I find it quite lame. I think its very boring to have a "level 5-10 zone" and a "level 10-20 zone" and so on. Its more immersive to have a zone where you might be able to handle some of the mobs, and then there are a few that totally pwn you. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if you can handle the mob youre fighting or not. If the spider kicks your butt, dont fight the spiders yet. Level some fighting skills, then try again. Your comment sounds to me like you just want an easy experience to coast through - and I am not judging you or trying to insult you here, its just an observation. The best parts of this whole game system are how different it is from most other games, and how those differences result in better game world immersion. And since I was a die hard UO fan, and played UO during its beta all the way through the whole EA trammell and fellucia drama, I must say I really love how this use base system is starting to resemble ultima of old.

So yah, I dont think these changes are meant to annoy you, its meant to create a game system where you dont have your hand held all the way through it. I despise games like warcraft, et al, for making the whole game experience like that. If youre having a hard time finding a place to level - ask someone where to go. Talk to players. Immerse yourself more in the game world. Also remember - its pre alpha. Its a prototype. "Its only a model..."

Kara Brae and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

@stratigos When I played UO, your skills dictated whether or not you could handle yourself. If I had high magery/fighting skills then I could progress through a dungeon (this is what i mean by competency). Right now in SOTA, level plays such an important role, so despite having high fighting skills, you can still get your butt kicked because of some hidden level difference which you have no measure of, and just like the level/xp bar was hidden in R21, the adventure level line has been removed from R22 which seems very intentional. You speak of game immersion and not being able to see the guts of the machine, but simply press V, and you can't tell me that long list of letters and numbers creates game immersion can you???

Anyway. My main point of the earlier post was to comment on how this quest isn't hard... provided you are appropriate level (which is hidden). Don't want to derail this thread anymore.

FrostII likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

One run with adv. Lvl. 10.
    So I guess you guys were just REALLY badly out of luck.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  9. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

[​IMG]

monkeyrogue likes this.
  10. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

He is talking about adventurer level and yeah, it was deliberately hidden. At the start of R21 and implementation of the use-based skills, Chris wanted the exp pool and the adventurer level hidden. The compromise was to have adv level displayed in the V stat list. But now that has gone and the exp bar has returned so I'm pretty sure it's disappearance again was purposeful.

FrostII likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup.... The avenue to specifically detailed feedback seems to be narrowing.
    I am not a proponent of this direction, as I believe it reduces our ability to help shape whatever Shroud is to become............ :(

My opinion, of course.

However, DarkStarr has gone out of his way to let us know how valuable our feedback is to Port.
    And there are those among us ( Soulicide obviously included ) who feel that we could do better, in that regard, with better tools...

That's all........ :cool:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I must have just been having a night of bad luck. I tried running it a couple more times and this time made it on the second try. The Phoenix death run was fairly effective last release. I think this one ranks right up there with it. I wonder if they are keeping body counts? :D

Violation and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

[​IMG]

4EverLost likes this.
  14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree hehe, I wonder how many skeletons are piled up there haha!

15. Citizen WarmCat

Citizen WarmCat Avatar

There is no "level" to be hidden?!
    If you really must have a "level" then take an average of all of your combat skills or whatever.

In regards to the quest, It's ridiculous and not fun at all.

16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

once i found where they were all i had to do was turn myself into usane bolt and sprint to him whilst spamming heals.

17. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Anybody have a suggestion as to how to make the last 10 fee of the Quest 22. I keep dying right when I turn toward the area of the Tour guide. Is there something special I could do to get around the ghost or under him or over him or something?

18. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

@Jacqueline take a sacrificial lamb along maybe?:D

I'm still trying in between chanting and mining. Pretty soon I'll have to go back home and start all over by finding the place again. :rolleyes:

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It did not help me to have someone else with me because we both just got attacked by the ghosts and died. It was just run run run after memorizing the route to the tourguide and keep clicking on him and dying. Most won't live but you will get the tourguide eventually, so keep checking your journal. Perhaps try armoring up for the ectseter mine part. I wear plate as a warrior, but plate is not protecting you from ghosts, or much this release. So Unless we have the case of someone who can kill ghosts, then of course they will kill the ghosts;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  20. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I have to admit that the Crag mines was a challenge with the ghosts, but once I summoned my pet 'Large Red Spider', it became relatively easy to talk to the quest guide while the spider kept the two ghosts busy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.