Can Anyone With Release 22 Access Confirm this Promised Change?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Wombat, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Wombat

Dark Wombat Avatar

A while back I made as thread regarding how awkward NPCs look when there is no voice chat when showing a close up their face during conversations. I dont not expect voice chat, but an option to have conversations with the camera in its normal position would be a nice compromise:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...nversations-with-no-voice-acting.21516/page-3

In this thread on page 3 developer Lum said that this option would be in Release 22. Can anyone check for me if there is a toggle related to "enable or disable close up NPC conversation" or something like that?

Thanks!

Andaluz and Logain like this.
  2. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

That's not enabled atm i think.

3. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Logain likes this.
  4. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Tried to get it in for this release but it didn't make it.

margaritte, Epona, Mata and 6 others like this.
  5. Dark Wombat

Dark Wombat Avatar

Lum,
    is it definitely going to be in eventually?

Thanks!

6. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes.

7. Logain

Logain Avatar

You have just made a couple of people very happy with a single word ;)

Epona likes this.
  8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I think it's far more than just a couple... :)

Solazur, Epona and Logain like this.
  9. Dark Wombat

Dark Wombat Avatar

Glad to hear this support for this option.
    I think what a lot of people dont get, is this. Read this part very closely.

When this game comes out a lot of people are going to be asking why there is no voice acting. But they arent going to be asking that because there is no voice acting. They will be asking it because when the camera is in a close up conversation, people EXPECT voice acting. Hence, why an option or default should have the camera stay where it is, and not zoom in.

This is a tiny detail, but trust me, its gonna be a big deal.

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This game is being compared to MMOs. How many MMOs have full voice acting? SWTOR and ESO? Is that it?

11. Dark Wombat

Dark Wombat Avatar

That's not the question. I am talking about games in general. Re-read what I wrote. What you should be asking yourself is the following:

1. How many games have close ups of acting with no voice acting? The answer? Final Fantasy XIV in some parts and Age of Conan in some parts. Many people found it awkward looking.

2. When games do not have voice acting, how many of them have the camera far away when in conversation? Try almost all of them. Because if you arent going to have voice acting, you dont show close ups of NPCs silently moving their mouths.

So the point again is not me complaining about voice acting. I dont care. I just want an option to have the camera zoomed back when in dialogue mode with an NPC.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

There are more... and I would've loved to be the smart ass to answer this in detail but none come to mind at the moment.

Even if you compare this game with MMOs that don't have voice acting, how many MMO pulls the camera in like that?

Even if you compare this game with single-player RPGs. Which ones pulls the camera in like that? Answer: the ones with voice acting.

It somewhat works for FF14 because all of the silent dialogue happen during cinematic... There's no engagement other than following the plot. Also, your character in interacting with the others on his/her own. So you're really just watching a silent movie. The jarring part of it is that FF14 decided to have some scenes silent and others with voice acting.

Mishri likes this.
  13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Perhaps improved facial animations and lip movement to at least simulate talking would help.

14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yeah, I always thought that was an odd move considering there was no voices.. It's what games like SWTOR used when engaged in conversation, and many other games. What I was expecting was a more classical approach. I posted a pic before on it.. can't find it now.. where the chat window would move to center and our 2 heads would be on either side and the direction of the chat bubbles would show who said what... I'd still prefer that over this system.

15. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

The first time I saw the NPC talking I reached for my volume control until I realized the game was made this way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.