Any other broke people?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joseph Rose, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Dude, would you stop, please... I think $45.00 USD is cheap for a game, my 1st WoW copy was $59.00 and the Burning Crusade expansion was $89.00, there were 4 more after that ranging in price from $59.00 to $72.00 each... Dang, you think this game is expensive, I have to totally dis-agree with you... I backed to Edelmann under a payment plan AND I bought Crafting tool sets, and houses and other tidbits (when they were cheap), I don't consider myself a "whale" backer, I'm on a fixed income disabled and I can still have a hobby...

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Most Devs got thier backs tied by people with money who call the shots and release bad games.

3. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

At the $45 mark myself. That will change, as I plan to add $10 here and there OVER TIME. That's like a coffee a week for a month.

I CAN do this....but...coffee....

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Entitlement is the problem in society today. I grew up a poor white kid in a trailer park, literally. I didn't feel entitled, I felt a desire to work hard and move up.

Today many politicians and leaders in Europe and the US have convinced an entire generation they are entitled to everything, simply for breathing and walking on the face of the planet. You are not.

$45 is cheap for a AAA title. When I was poor, I didn't buy games, I programmed my own. I was so poor, I built my own copy of the game Monopoly from cardboard, an old deck of cards, some buttons, and a pair of dice. Hard work, determination, lots of school, and a bit of luck paid off with a decent living.

Some blow their money on boats, golf, women and drink, I choose gaming and a few other hobbies. I choose to spend, in some cases too much money, on gaming. Perhaps overcompensating for not having much as a child, don't know not a psychologist. When I didn't have money I worked two jobs, went to school full time, and played free BBS games.

If I were poor today, I'd realize $45 is a very sound investment for the amount of entertainment Shroud will provide. I would realize with time, I could gather and grind quite a lot. I would find out what those whales needed in game, cater to their needs, sell their desires, and move on up in our virtual world. Alternatively, I would work two jobs, go to school full time for a STEM job, and spend my minimal free time playing Shroud grinding for whales.

BTW: I need a decorator, and someone to gather me a lot of resources, as I hate to grind. Too busy working and paying taxes.

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think it should have got to this point to be honest.

6. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Boats rock. That's it.

7. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Picture not included from post.

It may look great, but it would have been built through the blood and toil of the poor over many years, something of true value and worth, and their skill would be looked on with Admiration and a wish they could achieve similar.

So what's to envy about someone that does not have the resilience to build up their Character and worth, but prefers to pay and instantly place, they are looked on a lot different by the mass majority of players.

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Oh boats are fantastic. I'm on boats constantly. Just wouldn't ever buy one. They depreciate like 97% in 3 days.

monkeyrogue and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Just wait till we get to use them to travel with :)

Whyterose Flowers and Budner like this.
  10. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Wait, they last THAT long? I still have dreams to fish out a yacht after a hurricane, strip it down and rebuild it. (maritime salvage...fun times)

11. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Sorry what is the point of this thread again.

12. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Allow me my own opinion :)

- Coming here to complain (even though i agree 101% with you, that's besides the point however) about the very basis of a game, years after it has been shaped due to it, is at best futile. You will gain nothing, unless a written paragraph of virtual sympathy from a total stranger is something you value

- This, and any other game that allows you to spend tens and tens of thousands of your hard earned local currency prior to its even existing does not care about equality. About fair chances. Or about similar opportunities. By design. By default. Whether its excuses (we need backers, life is hard, we don't want to invest our money and our money alone) are valid or not

- If you are intelligent, you will view this for what it is. A gambling risk. Chances are that your financial situation, the shape of the game, the test of time or the above combined will make you regret investing a two-digit sum only to coexist with others that have invested a five-digit sum. So why is it a risk and not a total 'no-no'? Because ideally, your being here signifies you like what you see, and hope for the best. Hence my saying a 'risk'. Because despite the above, you hope.

- There is no forum posted answer that can validate or nulify 'hope'. Believe, or walk away.

rune_74 and monkeyrogue like this.
  13. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Yes? It's true, do what YOU can, go for what motivates YOU. If your wallet isn't as big no worries. Where there is a will, there is a way. Or whip. It's a whip isn't it?

14. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

I prefer to see the money going to the developers to improve the game for everyone. I still remember the leveling and money selling services that were often spammed in games.

15. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

@Venusian
    There is a fine line between altruism and ignorance. Most especially when said altruism is made possible with other people's money (not yours). And at yet other people's direct, tangible, benefit. ^^

Now to get back to topic, if you think 'unofficial' RMT is always detrimental, lucky you, your experiences must be limited. Money is being payed so that accounts may be online to produce said services in the first place. Do not fool yourself into thinking all of them thousands of active accounts have fake CC data. The world has moved on since the nineties. But anyway, even if we accept this however, and i am perfectly willing to go that far?
    You should still not feel all too comfortable commenting on RMT services prior to SotA even having launched. I could name you literally dozens of F2P and B2P and niche MMORPGs where said services are not only available, but king. Despite said titles offering their own. Nature of the beast. Mind your future predictions, and stick to the facts as available. Which in this case, are none. SotA hasn't launched yet :)

If it is not indirectly evident already, there is never a one-sided coin. Whether it will or will not be, to whose satisfaction or to what extent, is a question open for interpretation. So rather than replying with a belief based on nothing but wishful thinking and conjecture, i merely pointed out the facts. As stated in the above post, will not torture anyone by repeating them.

16. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I agree, with the prosperity tools you have the same advantages as anyone else. A house is only decorative and gives zero advantages.

17. Apollox Evanheart

Apollox Evanheart Avatar

Joseph when I become a little Ole $45 backer with you. We shall take this journey together. :) I don't plan on paying thousands.

18. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Alot of stuff will either be craftable or bought with in game Gold. You OP, look at this the wrong way. You will get to play in a fully funded game and, over time, have access to most any house and any lot you want along with everyone else who paid a hell of alot more than you did. People who pledge may not necessarily stay the course and play after what I call the '3 month chuck' (tm). I.E. the usual period of time where people who do not enjoy the game decide to log off, permanently. All games have that and I doubt this one will be any different. That said, there are alot of people, including myself who enjoys the game already. After Alpha, then Beta, I can only assume it will be just that much better. As long as this game does not follow in the mistakes Trion made with AA, it will be my MMO fix for several years. Try not to look at what you don't have and try to look at what you can get and achieve. I've stopped buying things because I need goals in my MMO. Otherwise I get bored.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Budner, Numa, Greyfox and 1 other person like this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have prosperity tools and if there were a good way to turn the clock and keep them from being sold at all, I'd be for that.

If Portalarium asked everyone to give them back and provided an alternative item, I'd be for that. But I'm afraid that's not a realistic solution. I wish they'd stop selling them though. If someone says "that's pay to win" I'd say "you're right". I don't think there are many other items like that, probably only the crafting tables that you get from pledge rewards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.