Life as an outlaw

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by redfish, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

A long time ago, during the Kickstarter drive, I created a thread How realism makes life hard for PKs.

Although I'm more generally an advocate for realism because I think it adds depth to a game, the specific point of that thread was that realism creates consequences, and consequences to behaviors create balance. I think people with different solutions than me have been coming from the same perspective. Some suggest, for instance, that since dying in the game isn't perma-death, then there aren't really true consequences to murder like there are in real life. Also, that this is one of the reasons we shouldn't have more than one character, because if we're allowed as many as we want, then we'll take no responsibility. RG also seems intent to build consequences to your choices of engagement in the story. Now there are several threads up on thieving, and discussing what type of consequences would make thieving balanced.

I think punishments for thieving and murdering that only consider what to do after-the-fact tend to be artificial. And, in a perfect game, they're besides the point anyway, because you want to have a player feel like they're bringing a level of care and attention to their character, and if you do that, they won't want to lose them, or mess up their lives, either -- because they'd have wasted their time on them. The actual punishment won't matter as much as a potential life they'd be prepared to take on to avoid their punishment.

So what type of life should one be prepared for ?

LIFE AS AN OUTLAW

[​IMG]

A FEW BASIC SURVIVAL REQUIREMENTS. These don't need to be stiff requirements or be frequent and create tedium, just require some periodic attention. They help create an engine to facilitate choices. Travelling would take its toll, and going large distances, from city to city, would eventually create fatigues like hunger. That would require you to periodically stop your travels and build camp, and require you to get rations from provisioners. Or, instead of relying on honest men, you might want to hunt illegally in the King's forest to get your victuals. Still, damage to your weapons would require you to get repairs, and sustained injuries to your body that don't insta-heal would require you to find healing. You might want to put together a band of skilled men who are willing to be outlaws like you, but that would take a lot of planning and work. So you might instead want to sneak into cities, past the guards, or deal with a fence. Or live in the underworld of cities, slinking between alleys during the night and hiding during the day; using your skill as a sneak to evade the guards.

[​IMG]

GUARDS PATROLLING THE ROADS TO KEEP THEM SAFE, AND PATROLLING THE DARK ALLEYS OF CITIES AT NIGHT. To make sure that travelers are safe from highwaymen, during the day, kings and barons send out guards on patrol. If they were to catch you, they'd arrest you or battle you to your death; and they're better armed than you. That means you either need to use the roads at night, or sneak around the outskirts of roads in the forest. You might wait along the roadside, aware of the guards patrol, and ambush travelling caravans at the right moment to rob the merchants blind. If you live within the city, you also have to watch out for the guard's patrol at night.

[​IMG]

BOUNTIES PUT OUT FOR YOUR KILL OR CAPTURE. In addition to the NPC guards having a lookout for you, players are put notice on your status as a criminal; rewards given for your kill or capture so you can be brought to justice. When stopped to camp in the forest, your campfire would give evidence to bounty-seekers of your hiding location. They could also accompany caravans to protect them, and collect a fee from the travelling merchants if a robbery is stopped. They could also investigate the alleys of cities at night to catch sneaks lurking about.

[​IMG]

NO VIRTUE IN THE LIFE OF A CRIMINAL. Committing crimes will usually mean committing crimes against better virtues. Quests will close off to you, as will certain paths of advancement in the world. Unlike in simple MMOs, the story in this game will continue to be important, and your actions can close off paths to advancement. You'll no longer get many opportunities based on your apparent virtue.

2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

If each of these restrictions were smoothly implemented into the game, we wouldn't need to worry about PKs and thieves being imbalanced anymore. Great thread.

Time Lord and jondavis like this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You don't need PKs for this. It's simply anyone in enemy territory. Even in a faction game like WoW or Aion you had reasons to go near the enemy's capitol and reasons to stay away. I'm sure every PvP game has some concept of safe vs unsafe territory and those flip based on what groups you're allied with.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. LordDuran

LordDuran Avatar

I like this +1

Time Lord likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

By the way, to whoever is interested, the illustrations I used here are from an 18th century edition of Robin Hood's Garland. I imagine there are situations, too, like Robin Hood, where one could be an outlaw and not completely close off your doors to lawful society. If the man you robbed from is a corrupt and wicked baron, the guards might look the other way or accept a bribe. Men of robe might be more willing to help you.

Time Lord and LORD CHAOS like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except Robin Hood robbed from an oppressive government. People seem to forget that little point. I think it would be interesting if one's "outlaw" status was defined by regional law but people's opinions were based on virtues. That's where you can get that Robin Hood like scenario.

Time Lord and Ultimike like this.
  7. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

I agree with all statements except "NO VIRTUE IN THE LIFE OF A CRIMINAL". True some questing lines may end upon your possible ill intent, but maybe it could also open alternate quest lines as the game should remain an open world that accepts the roles of the corrupt populace. I get the virtuous paladin/knight type, but for balance the game should still have as many quests/paths for the shunned. Sometimes the most virtuous of knights have started out making the wrong choices, only to become many a persons hero.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.