Discuss - Airships!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Gréagóir, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Agonizing !!!

I share your pain.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Flexible placement for all the things! Airship above the Duke's keep!

well, ok, we can dream. :)

3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Not a real ship unless you can get scurvy. Hope that gets implemented.... along with cannibalism and mutiny.

4. Epona

Epona Avatar

I would like the ship more if we could use attractive dyes on it.

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Any discussion on when/if the airship will by flyable? I'd buy one today, if we knew for sure it would be flying in the future. Otherwise, I'd rather spend $350 on some stupid Star Citizen imaginary spaceship that will fly, one day.

6. Epona

Epona Avatar

The airship makes the manor look bad. :confused::eek:o_O

Greyfox likes this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

This type of item makes me think, you could create a virtual giant bag-o-sh*t "BoS" fill it with virtual donkey-sh*t, say its rare never to be offered again. Then proceed to sell it to some for $1000 USD.

At least put LTI on that bag of hot air, it might get me to buy it.

8. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

I love the aesthetics. When can we fly it :p

9. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

I am...not overly impressed. I am disappointed really. Just not socks-knocked-off. And I don't even like levying stuff like that on you guys because everything else makes me run around my house giggling like an 11 yr old (confuses the heck out of my 6 yr old).

It looks good. Don't misunderstand me. But here's where I get bent up.

It doesn't make sense. Fiction (yes art) needs to make sense.

Let me explain (I am long winded, grab a drink)

• How does it fly?
    • Why is it basically a boat with a balloon?
    • If it's just a boat with a balloon, then why is it designed like a boat and not a modern blimp?

To assist in this matter here are some...suggestions and offerings.
    It flies with helium. Helium is rare, hard to obtain and is not able to be man-made. (Point of fact, we're running out on Earth...just a footnote.) Helium is, however, created in the sun. The sun, as the song goes, "is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace. Where Hydrogen is built into Helium at a temperature of millions of degrees." Well, we still can't do that today.

Still with me?

Okay, this is fiction. Fantasy/Sci-Fi/insanity. So we create helium pseudoscience and magic. We do that by breaking down water into Hydrogen and Oxygen (science, right?) The oxygen is then released into the air onboard the ship (the oxygen gets thin high up) where there is a shield that prevents the gases from escaping...(Fantasy/Sci-Fi...you're with me right?)

Now, where do we get the water?

The same way scientists have speculated we will refuel in space many many many years from now. Fuel scoops. The boat has to frequently land in bodies of water. Fuel scoops are basically ports on the bottom of the boat (this is why it's shaped like a boat by the way) that let water into the "bilge" or ballast section of the ship. Now, within here we have a MacGuffin <a MacGuffin is a deus ex machina for anyone not into writing...it's a thing that does a thing...because reasons>, let's call it an Aetherrecombinator. Once the Hydrogen is separated from the Oxygen this MacGuffin uses "magic" and techno-babble to convert it into Helium.

Now, that's settled. It looks like a boat because it needs to.

I said ALLLLL that to say this. It doesn't function as a boat.

The castle is just an excuse to put a large single room in and the cargo hold is an open-air entryway that will let moisture completely ruin anything you put down there. Plus, no crew quarters.

The purpose of these pieces of ship were FAR more than decorative space. And don't misunderstand me, it's a game, limited development etc etc. I just want to put it out there that there some great ideas started that look about half finished, and I hope the team can go back and retouch this stuff someday.

Here's a cross section I found to illustrate. And keep in mind, this is a merchant ship. It's not a galleon, though it IS a three masted ship. I am just using it as an example.

[​IMG]

Don't misunderstand me, they were crowded, nasty and generally unpleasant places to be and we've romanticized the heck out of them.

So taking some license? PLEASE do. But at least make it make some sense. I need crew quarters, I need to see a Flux Capacitor space (That closet IS nice for that, so kudos), I need to be able to lock it down in the event of combat or boarders or just when I walk away. (A simple hatch on the main deck would be fine)

I've just lived my whole Godforsaken life around ships. And I love/hate them. Airships forever hold a special place for me. And I'll buy one, because I WILL support this game and it IS an airship. But I just want you guys to know I noticed. And I am sure some other lunatic will too.

AS A NOTE - I *AM* on pain pills today. So if I come across as rude or asinine, I sincerely apologize. I love you guys. When I next head into Austin I'll probably bring you a big bag of hugs and chocolate. But I want Steampunk fans to take one look at that airship and go "dude, there is NO WHERE else we'll get that love. We MUST play NOW"

In the future, are we going to get to customize these boats/airships/ships with flags, colors, sails and such?
    (He asked nicely after basically criticizing someone's incredibly hard work.)

10. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Sorry I just read my post. I sounded upset. I am not, nor am I really disappointed in the least. Devs, please understand I just want it to be everything it possibly CAN be. You have put your time and money where your mouth it. I, meanwhile, am just mouthing. I have to go give plasma now to make up for my insubordination.

11. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

A galleon cross section.
    [​IMG]

I'm not overly concerned about accuracy in game though I do find the space provided on the air ship somewhat small for a 'galleon'. What I do like about the airship is the space it frees up on my property. It allows me to place other structures that, with a house, I wouldn't normally have room for. That is about the only advantage I see to having the air ship.

12. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Looks like we're closer in scale to the caravel then.

Since it was pitched as a home, that was the way I took it. Though you are right, for many, it's the equivalent of adding an "attic" similar to the basement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.