Your advice for keyboard, headset, &c

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forest Dweller, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Greetings, Avatars!

I am shopping for a new keyboard -- rather torn between Corsair and Razer.

Also trying to decide which headset to purchase. There are a handful that look good but not sure how they compare performance-wise.

If you have a preference or an opinion, please share with me so that I can take your experience into consideration in making my decision. Otherwise, I'll just opt for the most expensive, believing that you get what you pay for. (Most always the case.)

Keyboard, headset, graphics card . . . :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Jivalax Azon and mbomber like this.
  2. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

i got a Steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard..it's a great and very, very sturdy thing. But without all the lights :) . I would recommend it to anyone. (it's also small)

3. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Razer has good mechanical keyboards
    For headsets i use the logitech g35.
    I am happy with the headset.

mbomber and Forest Dweller like this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Razer Kraken 7.1 headset. Comfy, good sound, good mic.

Gix, Jivalax Azon, mbomber and 3 others like this.
  5. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Graphics card: Nvidia 960 GTX or higher (970/980, etc), but if you can't hit that high, look at the 780 or 790. I'm running an old 560Ti at home (same card that Chris uses on his production machine, which he qualifies as 'low end'), and I really want to upgrade, but I need an entirely new machine in order to take advantage of it.

Keyboard: This really depends on what you like in a keyboard. I would suggest you go to your local technology store that carries keyboards and test to see what feels the best for you. For lengthy typing, I prefer a 'short-throw' keyboard like the Apple keyboard (the wired version has a keypad. It's light, minimal, and the shorter travel distance of the keys means that I can move quickly. At home I use a Razer BlackWidow Chroma (that I won during the R18 post-mortem -- Lum is awesome!), which is a mechanical keyboard, and while it is a nice piece of machinery, the keys travel a further distance, and sometimes I find myself feeling like I'm walking through tall brush when I type on it. Also, the backspace key doesn't repeat when you hold it down. I don't know if that's something I can change, but I really hate having to repeatedly hit the key to erase things. I'll have to look into the software further.

Headset: Ultimately, the best headset will depend three things, in the following order: 1) how comfortable it is on your head, especially during extended periods of time, 2) how sturdy and reliable the microphone piece of the headset behaves, and 3) sound quality. I'm currently using a pair of Turtle Beach Ear Force X12's, and everything is working well enough that I'm not looking for an upgrade right now. I would prefer a headset with surround sound, noise cancellation, and a static boom arm rather than flexible, but for now I'm content with the X12's.

6. AviarAmidar

AviarAmidar Avatar

I'm using a Logitech G19 keyboard and really like it. It can display mumble / temspeak or ventrilo channels on the display which is nice so I can always see who's talking.

For headset, I picked up the Astro A50 about a year ago and really like it. The sound is great, and I really like it being wireless so I can roll around my computer room and not have to worry about cables. I can also transfer it very easily to hook up to my PS4 as well whenever I want to do a twitch stream on it or have a headset to talk to anyone with there.

7. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

These are all great responses, thanks! You've given me some good points to ponder. I will go to the store and get a better feel for the keyboards and the headsets. I want to be satisfied -- thrilled, even -- with my purchases. I wanted a multi-coloured backlit keyboard for gaming, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Thanks, Firesparx, I will look at the Steelseries keyboard. Small is good as far as I'm concerned.

My Nvidia graphics card only goes up to 800-something -- because that's how my laptop rolls. :)

The Astro A50 headset looks great. Will check it out.

Kraken, yep. I've been looking at that one.

Nice win, Jack Knyfe. :D

So, I'll mull over everyone's suggestions then make my big move. LOL Thanks so much for responding.

Jivalax Azon and mbomber like this.
  8. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

The Astro is very expensive and there are users ( more than one ) on new egg reporting buzzing sounds that could be coming from the mic. most of them also mentioned a weak mic ( which could be the main cause of the buzzing in the cups)
    For the price there asking I would check out there support forums to see just how many issues there are about the buzzing noise before you buy them. ( I would suggest this approach to any headset )

You want may want to look into Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450. Newegg is "out of stock" and they are also sold out on Amazon.com, also reviews from other users seem to be good too.
    Looks like a good bang for you buck from what I have gather.. :)

Once again its always good to check out the products support forums to see what issues they may be experiencing to see if its just a one or two case issue or are there multiple issues indicating a possible design problem/Flaw.

9. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Headphone .. Sennheiser 363d best note they are in no way noise cancelling

Keyboard corsair K95 rgb.. best keyboard ever you customize this thing to the moon... and still not use it to its full potential.

10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Well I wouldn't get the razer w/ the extra number buttons on the side, it ruins anyone who is an expert typer as the fingers will naturally move one row over. Can't say much for corsair but it seems like a good brand I only have a case and fans by them but I can say coolermaster keyboard's suck, they don't have drivers you can download, all the drivers are built in/hidden/ not given to customers, therefore it working with your motherboard is a dice roll. I'm not a big razer fan and would probably lean toward corsair but again motherboard compatibility dunno. As for headsets I recommend speakers as headsets are bad for the ears.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Forest Dweller and Jivalax Azon like this.
  11. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Headset: Logitech has a new headset series out, the Artemis. One is wired, the G633 and the other out this month is wireless, the G933. I have the G633 and I have to say...it's freaking awesome. 7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. Noise cancelling and crystal clear mic. They are comfortable and uses Logitechs software. The wired version is $150 and the wireless: $200. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-headsets

Mouse: I also wanted an MMO mouse without breaking the bank. Now, I like Razer products but after watching several reviews I am not particularly happy with how cheap they feel. The Chroma versions are nice but I do not really want to pay alot just to be able to play with the pretty colors. That said I did buy the Logitich G600 mouse. It has alot of buttons perfect for any MMO and the ability to G-Shift from one set of commands to the next. If you want to just get one thing to help with all the MMO functions, this mouse works pretty well for that. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice Also I'll add that this also uses the same Logitech software as other components like Razor products do.

Keyboard: Depending on what you want to do you can go simple on the keyboard and just use an MMO mouse, go moderate or heavy on the keyboard and have just a regular mouse or add in a Gameboard/Keypad and go really crazy. I, along with the MMO mouse bought a Logitch G510 keyboard. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-keyboards For me, Mechanical keys are somewhat loud and with my wife just 12 feet away doing her thing I tend to steer away from loud keyboards and clicky components. mechanical keys have some advantages in PVP and fast-paced gaming but I've done fine with just the regular variety. The 18 G keys on the left hand console did take some getting used to but once I began to remember how to use them I now do not want to go without. The corsair software is not as intuitive to use as Razor or Logitech but not terribly difficult for programming components and component lighting. Razor Chroma series of products are really neat but again I tend to game with a lower profile out of respect for my mate.

Price wise, Razer products and Corsair products tend to be a bit more expensive than Logitech. They make gear that is pretty good and built to last with good functionality. However for what they do, honestly I find them to be overpriced. Though I thought that the logitech G910 keyboard was out of what I'd pay for a keyboard, it sports some pretty neat stuffs but for $200?. Ouchie. You pay for the pretty colors in most cases. I had a Razer setup for PVP, a Tarantula keyboard and Lechesis mouse but these were beginning to wear. I considered buying the Kraken Chroma, Blackwidow Chroma and Naga Elite Chroma however these alone were $400. If you are an ebay buyer you might have difficulty finding these things easily. And I looked alot. When i did find them, the deals to risk ratio was not something I was comfortable with. Logitechs products are all over the place. I got the keyboard and mouse on Ebay together for $118. The headset is brand new from Logitech and I've only had it a couple of days. Everything together, all was new at $277 and they work great. the headset is just amazing.

One last point: The Artemis headset was put through some grueling testing. After my Sound Blaster Omega 3d wireless failed i will not buy anything wireless. Also, the G633 headset cables are replaceable. A feature most headsets do not have.

12. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Old school here, DAS Professional 4 Keyboard, Corsair Gaming Mouse, Bose Companion speakers. I usually don't like to use a mic.

Oh, and a Dell 34" ultra wide monitor. The game is magnificent on this screen.

13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

One note about Razer Kraken 7.1 headset, I've had some issues getting it work with TeamSpeak (TS3). I can always eventually get it to work, but the TS3 software doesn't seem to play easily with this headset.

Now, that may be a TS3 issue with ALL headsets for all I know, so maybe this is really a TS3 issue and not a headset issue. And I'm not the most tech-savvy person. So take all that with a grain of salt. Just relaying my experience which has been frustrating at times for something that should be pretty simple and intuitive.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  14. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Conleth Pharlan, you gave me a lot of good information and now I'm leaning toward the Logitech products you mentioned. I'm for certain going to get the Artemis headset. I'm going to run through all the information everyone left on here (awesome!) again and then go shopping. Thank you all! :)

Headsets are bad for the ears? Do they cause ringing in the ear? Deafness? I'm buying the headset for the mic, mostly, so that I can communicate with other players during gameplay. Convenience.

Thanks for sharing your opinions---more to consider.

Thanks, Budner. That's a very interesting question --- do all headsets have an issue with TS3? I'd really like to know. I suppose if we heard from other players we'd find out.

HA!! Thanks, Bones. A monitor is next!! :rolleyes:

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You can also communicate very effectively just using push-to-talk on your keyboard. I only use headphones if I'm trying to not disturb others. If you're alone and free of babies, office mates, etc. I'd just use the mic on your computer and the keyboard.

Of course, if you're really into PvP and you want your hands totally free, headphones are the way to go.

Epona likes this.
  16. Apollox Evanheart

Apollox Evanheart Avatar

Keyboard I use a Steelseries Apex Gaming. For headset I use a Playstation 4 Wireless Gold. And for graphics card I run a asus gtx 970. I enjoy all three and find no reason to change. :)

Forest Dweller and Epona like this.
  17. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Hey, Budner! I'm gonna try that! Thanks :)

Welcome to the forums, NuFate!! I'll check out the Playstation Gold and the Steelseries keyboard. Thanks

18. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

Forest Dweller,

I have had the Corsair K70 RGB LED Mechanical Keyboard for the last 10 months and love it. Here is a review I posted back in January that talks more about it in case you are interested:

Epona and majoria70 like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You are amazing, what a great keyboard review. I'm sold. I have so missed seeing you lately. Are you not making videos for us anymore? I love your videos. I hope you are well, this coming from a devoted fan of yours, hey can I get your autograph;)

Forest Dweller and Epona like this.
  20. Epona

Epona Avatar

I second what Marjoria said, Mad Hatter. Every day I want to write and ask you to appear more frequently. I miss your videos, as they were a great help and fun to watch. So I hope you continue soon!!! :)

Now, I'm going to watch that Corsair video!

Cheers and many thanks, Mad Hermit

Post viewing: OK, that's pretty incredible. And, again, like Majoria said, I'm sold.
    I hope Corsair is giving you a salary!!! ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.