Everywhere I go in my adventuring, I itch to mark a rune :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Epona, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I do understand all the ways the modern gamers play. This however is not an issue of want or need. Its an issue of game balance.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I'm old too... "convivial", is that a word? My dictionary doesn't have it... My brain cell is to tired to google it... You kids just want it too easy... Recall runes, that was like 20 years ago, old stuff...

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    +1,000,000

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Good, If you noticed I'm after firm opinions on the subject, I was also in favor of mandatory reagents and alot of "hardcore" mechanics Lord Hickman and Lord British hinted at :)

In fact people find me unbearable because I want my siege perilous back... I've seen noone else being demonized that way, with such... how to say... blatantness ? is that a word ? I've been shoved aside by this community being accused of *cough* one world order breaking, trying to divide and whatnot. I'm just being critical while being detached to the result...

Convivial means that you rather invite people to a certain conclusion instead of just being brute about it, its a french word but its also in every english dictionary so maybe yours is lacking :p

con·viv·i·al
    kənˈvivēəl/
    adjective
    1. (of an atmosphere or event) friendly, lively, and enjoyable.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I've actually been told I have a better vocabulary than most native english speakers on here, however my grammar and syntax... lol... :p

Epona likes this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

As long as an X does not defeat the scene or the over world map, it doesn't really bother me. That being said, being able to teleport long distances to precise locations defeats both of those.

Some scenes it won't matter while other it would trivialize the design. Same with the over world map. Control points are there for a reason and teleporting passed them makes them non existent to anyone that can.

Epona and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Heh, i can sympathize with you.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hey Rune, thanks, how are you doing ?

its been a long time are you still abroad ?

9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Agreed. IF the X is only for reasons of convenience in the sense of Not having to wring it down on a piece of paper then all is ok, I would not want it to be a way to circumvent game play or by pass important scenes like you mentioned.

Epona likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

We will never get a rune system. Someone will surely get their immersion destroyed.

Budner and Epona like this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I am for now....I'm debating about how long to be honest....weighing my options at the moment as I feel I have to reassess my commitment to here.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

We should be able to annotate the paper in-game maps, plus also have a paper map version of the overland.

And like Zassik says, I'd enjoy having a more multi-functional journal. However, just being able to make books where you bind together pages of writing, maps, music, illustrations, and other things would be great, and a great start to that. We could do it on our own without needing the game to provide it for us. Then we could share our journals with other people.

So you could write a book "Epona's Travels Through New Britannia" with all sorts of reminiscences about your time in the world with maps and locations.

Epona likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sooner the better, may the virtues guide you safely back home !

A rune sure would be useful in that case :D

Epona likes this.
  14. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

I hated recall in UO.. Every player just ran around with 5 runebooks to every major spot and just insta-teleported all the time. made the word feel dead outside of a few cities and dungeons. No one traveling and exploring.

Alexander and Epona like this.
  15. Epona

Epona Avatar

I do think the runes were awesome and I loved my rune books; however, I realize this game is not built that way. As far as I know, the next best thing would be for me to implement the technique mentioned by Katrina:

Quote:

Type "/loc" in the chat window, and it will tell you where you are.

Type "/loctrack" in the chat window, and it will start tracking your coordinates right under the upper left version watermark. Type it again to stop.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Womby

Womby Avatar

The purpose of control points is to delineate and enforce economic zones. It should be possible to support fast travel within an economic zone while at the same time preventing it between economic zones.

Epona and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If the playerbase can teleport passed the control point then the control point might as well not exist. Now if the control points blocked teleportation based on the status of the control point, that might be interesting.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think the economic reasons for fast travel restrictions are the only ones, nor are control points the only places this matters. The point overall is to make the difference in location from place to place on the map meaningful. The economic aspects are just one example of how it's meaningful: so markets can be different from place to place, which will enrich the game. Control points are just at limited locations, because it wouldn't make sense to have control points everywhere.

But there are so many other reasons IMO why making location matter enrichens the game, and so many reasons why selling rune books with insta-travel on vendors cheapens the game.

But I'm not really against some forms that are restricted ... or against Epona's suggestion, which I think is for something different.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think a mage that can open a gate and translocate people should be pretty darn powerful and/or limited in the amount of weight that can go through.

No recall... unless theres no horses, then recall to some checkpoints maybe... but... horses :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.