Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Silly sad panda post: I miss adventurer level

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Segallion, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

So unless it's somewhere I cant locate (was under stats), adventurer level display was taken out. The last release removed level display from the character sheet and left it under stats as adventurer level.

Now its completely gone.

This makes me a sad panda.

Can we have an option to see what I am assuming is now a hidden stat?

I previously discussed this for the last release...I may be in the minority but seeing no level...sadness. (I know...skill based and all now but...I miss the "character" level).

2. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Perhaps you should explain why you miss it. I know it was kind of proof of our progress in the game and it was a great feeling to get one step forward. But now it has no real meaning in the game anymore. So it is a useless stat and was removed.

Retlaw, Jivalax Azon, Gurney2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Please don't bring it back!

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

If all success is simply based on skill, then yes, adventure level is useless and don't bring it back. But, that does not seem to be the case. You can turn off all skill gains as if you are trying to bulk your pool and then adventure. It seems to me HP goes up even though my strength, skill etc. does not. So why? Is this the effect of hidden adventure level? If Adv level is still used in calculations, then it is still in game and would be nice to see it. It goes without saying that if production level is used in calculations as well, then that too should show.

Note: obviously this presumes no change in gear or spell stat boosting.

Tyde, margaritte, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I agree with op... and I used the adv lvl to determine what areas I can compete in ..... like at adv lvl 15 I was not able to do well in certain areas, so I keep checking to see if I gained a lvl there, and if so, then I go back to the area I had problems with.... if not, then I avoid it till I gain a few....

6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm not entirely sure.

Damage dealt/received, attack skill, and base health/focus all feel still like being linked to that hidden stat.

If they're not anymore (@Chris?), then it's really useless to know it. They are?

Tyde, margaritte and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. V`ger

V`ger Avatar

I also like to have an "easy" way of figuring out if I can compete in an area or not. With the way it's now (for me) it's a lot harder to find out if I'm going to die attacking that monster or if it will be dead at first strike. I understand that's some type of adventuring, finding out how strong enemies are. I just like it when I'm able to find that out without needing to acutally attack.

8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

What I do, is if I see I am losing the battle I just run out ..... but yea knowing what areas are good for certain lvl's would definitely help.... especially when I need to know where one is for low lvl's for when I need to harvest nodes and not die doing so....

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

I suppose the best way to respond is what I posted about a month ago in another thread when level was taken from the paper doll sheet. Your query makes me think you may be looking for something "logical" which I cannot give (and I may be completely wrong, but that's the assumption I make when someone concludes a stat in a game is "useless" - as I find the statement ironic in a gamer way ;)). It's preferential:

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  10. V`ger

V`ger Avatar

Basically I don't need to see my level. I really like a skill-based system and not being tied to any level. I just miss being able to see if an enemy is a good match or not. If I remember correctly, in Star Wars Galaxies (where there was also some kind of skill based system), monsters where marked with colors, telling you whether or not you should attack them with your current skills. That would be all I'm asking for.

11. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

/high five

I'm with @Jivalax Azon . I enjoy the old UO style skills-based system and think the implementation in SOTA is a step in the right direction, but the combat mechanics still take into account adventure level. Until this changes, please let us see what level we are at so that we can gauge our own progress through the game.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  12. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

So you don't really miss the level and the numbers but the feedback from the game that you made something useful for your char. Perhaps we could work something out that would give you this feeling without using these numbers? In other games you see the loot dropping on the floor. I admit I missed the numbers first too but now I get my acknowledgment through skill leveling. But yeah it is not the same.

13. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Re: Something else...Possibly. But at this moment the "level" iteration is what I miss (character level /adventurer level...I mean we do have blacksmithing level in, etc, for now). I could not actually express the fun factor from it in any greater detail unless I "saw it" or played it.

Unfortunately, there's no rationality behind it, I just know I was having fun skilling up and seeing my "level." Without it...well, I still like the skill ups, but its like a part of my character was strangely removed ;) Definately the bell and whistles of leveling up and seeing that level go up spat out some endorphins in my noggin.

Aldo and Acred like this.
  14. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Yup they called it the "Con" which was short for Consider Colours
    I do understand where youre coming from, and im sure you are not alone, but for me if that were added it would be like a spoiler
    It would have to be optional, something we could turn off if we chose to
    Because i would see a Red or Yellow icon beside the mobs healthbar and think "oh damn ive got no chance", and so i wouldnt try (well mostly)
    So that would make the game less fun for me
    You might think "well surely thats good it stopped you dying" but lets be honest, we dont have a permadeath, so dying is just a learning experience
    Consider Colours would mean i took less risks, and therefore enjoyed it less

However something else SWG had that worked alongside the Con Colours (possibly preceeded the icons), was the actual command they named it after, /consider
    When you targetted the enemy and typed /consider (or just /con) you were given a line or two of text in chat, something like;
    "This creature is powerful and looks very angry, it would be unwise to approach it alone"
    In that one line - powerful tells you its not going to be an easy fight, angry tells you its agressive, and it also recommends you bring some friends to fight it

Now whie this may seem like just as much of a spoiler, firstly its not displayed until you type the command, secondly its kinda RolePlay-esque, which is nice, it adds to the game, and the feeling, and thirdly it was tied into the Scout/Ranger skill trees, so to improve your knowledge of animals and monsters, you had to study such things (you had to be a ranger or scout)

Im not 100% because it was years ago, but i think it also told you things like whether it was a carnivore or herbivore, whether it attacked with a pack or alone, and other various things including whether they gave milk or eggs(but i think you needed to be master ranger to get the best/fullest info (which is also good)

This would possibly make a nice addition to the Taming skill tree, especially as the Devs are looking for a way to raise your taming skill without using so many of the expensive taming collars (but thats for the devs to decide)

BTW i am NOT suggesting you could mash /consider until you had GM Taming, im saying it may help get those first 10-20 points of skill, and save a few collars)

15. V`ger

V`ger Avatar

I like that feature even more than the colors, for the same reasons you had. It prevents others from spoiling and still lets you easily know if that monster is too tough or not.

Chatele and tesyra like this.
  16. Nastor

Nastor Avatar

Yup, a skill to see how dangerous a creature is would be nice.

17. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

What I miss is not being able to tell if I'm spreading out my points to much hurting my characters viability in the long run, it was easier to gauge with adventure level. Either way, its just something to get used to, will get the hang of it soon enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.