Can we Please get a choice as to what our Characters Start with for R23 and future??

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Weins201, Oct 5, 2015.

?

Start with a choice of skill Trees

1. Yes Choice of Skill Tree

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Nope suffer with Swords

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. I know we wil start with nothing so dont care

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Start with nothing for R23 and all future release just like the gamne will be at launch

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I realy have no desire to start all my chars with swords - I know when we launch I can expect to start of bare bones, but if we start with ANYTHING I would really like to be able to choose which tree I am started with :)

TY

Logain, Andaluz, Numa and 3 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Don't you know things are changing about this? So I think it is moot, but I could be wrong. What is prompting the thread? Since R23 will show many changes and perhaps your request will be one of them.;)

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Since I haven't had the chance to play through the Isle of Storms yet, this is all 2nd hand, but you'll only start with swords if you begin with the Courage quest line. Love is bows. Not sure about Truth.

I personally think starting skills shouldn't be determined by starting virtue.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As of R22 there are three seperate builds which are determined from your initial dialog with Arabella.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

OK I just created two chars and answered them opposites and both came up with swords can we at least know what answeres give what or give us the choice. swords default is kinda weakl

6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I would rather start with no skills and then choose them myself after I get out of the tutorial.

7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

My new character started with ranged which was what I was going for, was pure luck though as I couldn't understand what the questions had to do with archery :D

Jivalax Azon and FrostII like this.
  8. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Next version there will be a tutorial hint that gives a -tutorial hint-.

Courage - blades - Highvale (Blood River for R22 Truth - mage skills + blades (for now due to problems with other weapons) - Blood River Love - archery - Solace Bridge

9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

and as I said before. Your skill tree should have nothing to do with your path to the virtues.

Logain, Ember, Andaluz and 8 others like this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

No chance of a Shepherd / Let-me-choose-everything, start-with-nothing option, @Lum?

11. marthos

marthos Avatar

I prefer having your initial dialog choices impact your character's starting abilities.

One, tells new players that this is a different game where your decisions will impact your character. Instead of your character just being a collection of numbers and stats, you are shown that your roleplaying actions impact your character greatly.

Two, it follows the traditional Ultima system where you make moral choices and are given a character class. It's a big improvement through, as you're not stuck with that choice the whole game like in the Ultimas. You can pick up any weapon and learn it despite what you pick at the beginning.

Three, roleplay a little bit! You aren't playing Gandalf_872, you're playing a person from Earth who got sucked into an alternate dimension. Be thankful you're starting out with any skills!

Mactavish, Logain and Andaluz like this.
  12. agra

agra Avatar

Unfortunately, marthos, given these skills contribute towards the use-based-skill soft-cap, they may have a considerable impact.
    As such, depending on the goal of a player, any of these choices may be negative, however good the original intent in granting them.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Not quite since we have decay and as you say no hard cap, so if you would keep training other skills then the ones you were granted would decay and disappear eventually.

edit: I'm all for the option of starting with no skills, I probably would.

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Agreed. I'm not sure what loving truth has to do with my ability to throw fireballs.

This feels a bit too much like pigeonholing characters based on something like classes. It's not hard to imagine someone who is great with a bow but not a very loving person. By coercing people to pick certain responses to get the skills they want, it either feels like a particular character archetype is being forced on them, or they are just lying to get the skills they want (meaning taking their decisions much less seriously in the future).

15. smack

smack Avatar

It's funny, the gypsy questions are having the exact opposite desired effect in some cases. Some players are now just going to answer whatever gives them the starting skills they want vs answering them truthfully.

Logain and Beno Ledoux like this.
  16. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

The new island will change all of this.

enderandrew likes this.
  17. dracco

dracco Avatar

o boy when i played Ultima i alwase got tinker .? this mean ill get crafting all the time LOL .
    so for skill trees if i was them.
    (blows off his old the history of britannia)
    honesty- mage - ice magic - death magic - moon magic
    justice - druids -Pole arms- earth magic - sun magic
    compassion - bard - bow -sword -medium armor -
    valor- fighter- sword - heavy armor - shield
    honor - paladin - Bludgeon - heavy armor -life magic
    spirit - ranger - bow - light armor - field dressing
    sacrifice - tinker bludgeon - medium armor - mining - forestry
    humility - shepherd - pole arms - agriculture - forage

most developed skills sets
    truth - mage - fire magic
    love - range - bow
    courage - melee - sword
    wow kinda brings back memories .

18. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

why not?

For a new player this is really help full. And as an expert player you work around not a big deal.
    I think an important part of this game is to life with your choices and there consequences behind it.
    That is why i really hope we will get quests with different outcomes one day. I dont mind failing a quest cos i made the wrong decisions´and dont getting a second chance to fix it.
    One of the boring aspect of all the mmos in the last few years was that nothing you did had really an effect.
    Every thing was laid down from the first second, and what every you tried the outcome was all ways the same.
    Guides told you every secret and every boss encounter.

I do not want all of that for this game.

Kara Brae likes this.
  19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Because, any class can be courageous, melee'rs can be lovers, mages can be truthful, rangers can be courageous. And you can mix and match that statement any way you want.

If you have no clue what you want to play, you're right. But most of us have a clue of what we want to be and how we want to be.

Virtues and skill sets are completely unrelated, there's no common thread, nothing to unite them. You skills are one thing and your ethics something else, Paladins are one of the very few exceptions.

This has nothing to do with quest failure. Quest failure would be more like.... I want to be a mage, I gather the components go to cast the spell and it fizzles and I fail. That would be acceptable. But this conversation has NOTHING to do with that!!!

20. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I know, right? Like I answered the questions because I like playing with swords how I felt a dumb soldier would answer the questions: he would deliver the coin like promised and he would follow orders even if it meant letting his friends die.

My soldier became a mage. I almost quit and thought about redoing it but then decided to create a warrior mage. It's the first time I've really used magic in combat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.