If We Were To Try To Get 1 Stretch Goal Met, Which Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Ice Queen, Feb 20, 2015.

?

If We Were To Try To Get 1 Stretch Goal Met, Which Would You Choose?

1. Boats

39 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. Elves

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Flexible Placement

46 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. Horse Mounts

44 vote(s)
    25.4%
  5. Pack Animals

23 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. None-I've Spent Enough Already.

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Other...Please Explain

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

Easy for me, it has to be boats.
    Opens up the world for travelling when and where you want.
    Lets you visit many PoT's via the sea (spotting a quaint village while sailing down the coast).
    Adds a whole lot of options for fishing.
    Many new types of events can be added from Treasure Chests to Naval battles in the future.
    Relaxing cruises after a stressful day.

(on a side it seems like the overland map issue is the biggest restriction to boat travel, but there seems to be a no brainer solution for this. When you cross a "Hex"/"Server" boundary just continue on the next hex and skip popping back up on the overland map unless you want to. Think of how Owls head makes you be on the road to exit at exactly one point. Do the same thing for every entry/exit into a hex. No it doesn't have to be episode one, just something to make life easier in the future episodes. Also, I don't want to derail this thread on a different topic, so if anyone wants to discuss these options I would love to see it on a new thread for this. My threads always seem to die, so if somebody else starts it maybe it will get more traction. LOL. I have actually come to like the overland map for fast travel, but would love an option for slow travel too.)

2. TantX

TantX Avatar

3. Thorin Strongarm

Thorin Strongarm Avatar

I voted elves. Seems that as an older player I am more interested in goals that allow players more game playing options. Newer players seem to be more interested in personalizing their homes.
    Neither better than the other just an observation.

4. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

*Explanation - Gargoyle playable races. Don't judge.

But I'll probably be throwing in with the boats and pack animals for what's available now.

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Boats. We can't sail!

We can already walk. Horses are not necessary (be nice)

We can already carry 50 looted weapons so pack animals are not necessary (yet).

Flexible house placement is already possible. It's just not released to us. All of the POT tools and decorations suggest this.

We can already be a race so elves are not necessary (be nice).

Boats!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Logain

Logain Avatar

With the same logic I could claim that we can already sail since I can take the boat from Adoris to the Hidden Vale :p

7. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Well, I do not see the logic of horses considering how small the world is. I do see the reasoning behind pack animals but how would those be used in the overland map where they would make the most impact? Elves...nice but not necessary. Boats...for what? In overland if you have them in your inventory you can move over water to get to an area? If not, than why even bother? I selected flexible placement. People who want more front or back or side space for stuffs, it just seems like a good use of the money.

8. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, none.

Fixes before Features. There's enough bugs and broken stuff in this game they'll be fortunate to fix it all prior to launch, never mind add new features & content.

9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Easy question for me to answer. Horse Mounts. Horse mounts will immediately enhance the game for all players. Flexible placement will only enhance game play for the lucky people who will be able to place a house after launch.

Enfo likes this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd agree to this if the game is in a alpha>beta transition stage where they are working on finalizing content and starting on polish... but they aren't. it is still in a pre-alpha state. the systems they want in the game for go-live are not implemented yet. somewhere around the start of content, i'd expect fixes to systems to start coming in, in a regular stream of releases.. until then, the tech team can only have placeholders for the systems they want, until the actual systems are complete and implemented. there is no real reason for them to focus on the "bugs and broken stuff" that are linked to those not-yet-implemented systems, at this time. - hence why some of the broken things are being fixed, and others not. yet. there is always a method to the madness called development.

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

I'm aware it's pre-alpha. There's still too many bugs. There are fundamental problems with every implemented system. Every one. That's... just sloppy programming, not "agile development" imho.

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

sounds to me that you prefer to playtest a game that already has the systems completed, at the very least, then mostly just ui issues and lack of (some) content and polish aren't there.. i'm not judging. many people are like that, just look at the steam reviews when port opened access to that. *chuckle*

honestly it makes sense why people think that way, the industry has historically barred access to all but paid employees and VERY limited press, until that same point i mentioned above. i've always believed that early access like we have now, is an integral part of the testing and developmental process, regardless of which methodologies they decide to use. it is the only way to get proper feedback from their actual fanbase, besides surveys where people don't quite know what they want in the abstract.

and yeah, there are fundamental problems with every implemented system - because all systems aren't in yet, they can't bind them together, so there are bound to be issues with them all. deeper than that though, much of what IS in the game is a placeholder for something TO exist, and that will always generate 'bugs' until the placeholder is replaced with the functional system. just a nature of the beast at this stage of its life.

i fully anticipate once systems complete badge is place don the game, and we go into alpha - many of these fundamental bugs will be squashed, because the systems are actually there to respond to each other..granted, that makes the game code more complex, so there are other bugs created by it, but they are mostly going to be minor issues, compared to what we are seeing now.

Alley Oop likes this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

IMHO they should just lump pack animals and boats together since both will have a huge impact on transport of goods, trade and exploration. You can't really move stuff or supplies efficiently if one is missing. and yes, I would like to be able to bring my pack animal onto a boat.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  14. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

I am a tad curious by kobolds get masks, but elves get a race.

So racist. ;)

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Satyrs and Fauns too!

16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Fauna Lives Matter!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. wurok

wurok Avatar

I voted others. I think a goal could be more "rooms" linked together instead of the dual map. More "doors" to reach the rooms . This would lead to delete the overworld map and to break less the atmosphere of the game from a map to the other.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome wurok to Shroud of the Avatar. Yes and you won't be the last to mention it. I have been here since 2013 so I'm used to it and it has truly developed from what it started as. yikes talk about not liking it then, you truly would not have. It is so much better. So it's not going away and scenes will change and some may merge or get bigger, load times will improve, new content will be easier to drop into the hexes. So but anyway thanks for the feedback and I do understand it.:)

19. wurok

wurok Avatar

Thank you for your welcome !
    I come from ultima online a game that I played since 2001.
    I think that even if not possible having a full world map like that ,
    having more rooms and doors could be an alternative and interesting idea .
    Maybe it is too early for this stage of prealpha game, but It would be awesome.

majoria70 likes this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Log Cabins cause they are my favorite house!, and Camping sites where you and some friends can camp out in the wilderness (but always have one stand guard!) In case Pkers, or monsters come along, your campsite could always be attacked at any given moment!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.