No Instanced PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ravern, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Please, no instanced PVP. By instanced PVP I mean two players or two teams of players being whisked away from the persistent world to an "Arena" or "Battleground" to complete some lame objective like capture the flag or king of the hill. It's boring. It's unimaginative. It feels disconnected. And it will kill "World PVP" just like it did in WoW if the rewards for it overshadow the rewards you can get for World PVP.

Provide adequate incentive for world PVP and the players will do the rest. They'll come up with their own stories and objectives.

Thank you for reading.

Skyo and Abydos like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You are safe this idea has not even been breached :)

Now if you enter the arenas - well that is your choice.

3. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

So far the devs have stayed away from thats stuff. And hopefully they will continue to advance PvP in the open world.

Abydos likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Actually, when PvP was first enabled it was a battleground setup. That's still in as far as I know.

Some people want PvP to be against opponents that are of equal skill/gear. It's a valid form of PvP.

5. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

I agree, Its definitely a valid form of PvP and one thats important to have. but hopefully they stay away from instancing PvP. If someone mainly wants to PvP with others equal gear and skill that should be what duels and the Arena should be used for. Trust me when I say im not looking to turn open world PvP in SotA into some lame gankfest. I just want the tools to be put in place to make world PvP meaningful for those of us who wish to dive into that part of the sandbox.

6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Dont forget about the PVP SG! A lot ot interesting stuff there.

7. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Players can arrange to fight other players of equal skill and gear without heavily incentivized instanced PVP.

If Port heavily incentivizes Battleground/Arena/instanced type PVP then world PVP would die--and SotA will turn into something that can be seen in WoW: a game where there is a PVE bubble and a PVP bubble--with the PVP bubble resembling a mini-game that doesn't impact the persistent world or its community in any significant way.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Tuck the PvP instance away in some hidden, out sight out of mind zone, like WoW then you have the WoW issues. Put battle ground style PvP and arena style PvP right smack in the middle of day to day life and content. PvP remains vibrant.

PvP is only a mini game if it's hidden. That's the WoW failing with PvP. Arena and battle ground PvP is not as undesirable as you make it sound. Even in WoW.

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

No offense but this is kind of a dumb argument that's like saying because COD has Nazi Zombies mode that people will only play that mode. If there are both some people will do PVP in an arena and others will just do it in places like the shard fall or around town with their PVP flag turned on.

10. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

But that wasn't my argument.

My argument was that if instanced PVP is heavily incentivized while world PVP isn't then most people will go the instanced PVP route. WoW is a living example of this. Not only that but instanced PVP is pretty lame in itself.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    there still would be a choice of what people would want. They get to choose. If pvp is good then there will pvp'rs that are flagged. I do see what you are saying, I am not sure if there is a better solution though. We cannot force anyone into flagging without consent. What I would think if we did not have these pvp areas then we would have just as little pvp in the open world anyway because there would be less pvp players total.

12. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Incentivizing /= forcing.

"If you flag for PVP, then you will be rewarded. If you engage in World PVP, then you will be rewarded."

How is that forcing anyone to PVP? And how is that different from any aspect of the game?

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Its because during the kickstart it was promised that you would never have to flag for pvp to get anything in the game.

14. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Doesn't this contradict that idea?

"PVP Zones:
    Volcanic eruptions and meteoric strikes on the map will create a mix of predefined areas and random areas that will be flagged as open PVP, meaning anyone entering that zone is flagged as PVP. These zones will have the following characteristics:
    • The rarest resources and rarest creatures will be more abundant in PVP Zones. (IMPORTANT NOTE: These resources and creatures also appear in PVE zones)
    • PVP specific resources for making PVP specific items.
    • PVP specific trainers, although there are issues we anticipate with quest givers getting camped, so we will work on solutions for this.
    • PVP specific quests, including the quest from the Oracle which flags the player as open PVP.
    • PVP Zones are currently planned to only be accessible in Open Multiplayer since playing them in Friend Only or Single Player Online modes would be an easy way to circumvent PVP.
    • A confirmation dialogue appears before entry into any and all PVP maps. This confirmation is also triggered during login if you logged out in a zone that has temporarily become PVP, at which time you can opt to login to the overworld map."
    Moreover, Port could reward players for flagging for PVP or engaging in World PVP in ways that could be achieved through PVE alone.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

The incentive is that if you want the best kind of crafting materials you'll go to PVP flagged areas to get them.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The yellow portion removes any contradiction. The strike through portion was removed, IIRC, as they could not be justified during implementation. (redundant skills and items just for the sake of PvP when there are already existing skills and items to serve those purposes)

17. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

In Shadowbane the default looting rules were 'inventory' looting. So you or your guildmates could go into a zone and if your character got killed, you lost all of your gold, any discipline runes you might have found, various types of racial crafting contracts, magic items, scrolls, etc but your primary gear remained in tact. It was nice if you managed to snag a player with a lot of loot on them, but their primary equipment was never in danger of being lost. With the ransom system you might have a chance of scoring a decent piece of equipment and with a consecutive kill streak you could earn some decent gold through PvP when players buy their items back. Just hope gold will be worth something.

Not sure if it works this way currently, but I'd like to see the ransom system adjusted so that if your adventuring level (if it still exists) is above a certain level there is an occasional chance that the oracle won't accept gold for ransomed items and the victor simply collects the items. This way you actually would have a chance to get a decent inventory item instead of gold all the time. This might satisfy some of the Full Loot crowd.

There may not be anything that can replicate the glee of seeing a player's corpse/treasure chest filled with a plethora of items, but it will be interesting to see how the ransom system plays out. So I guess my point is that in Shadowbane and Ultima Online, loot was always a big incentive for PvP because the loot typically helped you continue PvPing. (deconstructing items, using potions, reagents, etc)

And I have to agree, the compartmentalization of PvP gets boring very quickly especially if you're engaged in repetitive tasks. I felt totally obligated to help my friends get their latest PvP arena gear in WoW. It was tiring.

18. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Could you provide a link for that? I'm interested. Thank you.

19. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

But if there's more incentive for instanced PVP than World PVP, then people will flock to instanced PVP... Not only does this make sense conceptually... there's an actual example of this happening: World of Warcraft.

Also, from what I've read, those rare crafting materials can be obtained in PVE. However, somebody did say something about PVP-only craftable stuff found in PVP zones... but that may have been removed as well, according to Ristra.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

More than likely, it's a video, not a post. So... yeah, if I happen to run across it, or if someone here knows which video so I can hunt it down quickly.

I have a love hate relationship with video communications from the devs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.