Real World SotA Handbill Design for print-out ... can we create one or more?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Do we players have the graphic talent to make some SotA Handbills? They would be great to print out and hang on our walls, get Devs and players to sign at gatherings, etc. Has this idea already come up?

Examples on Google.

[​IMG]
    An example of old style handbill.

I imagine we have some permission to use the SotA name and logo from the fan kit from @FireLotus .

I'd like to download some creative designs from people (I am not an artist), print them out locally, and then put on my walls, take to player gatherings, even give to my friends at work or at the pubs. I think they would be great novelties, fun to design and distribute, and get more notice out about SotA too. Artists should certainly "sign" their creations.

Ideas?

2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

We have been making single sheet paper text advertisements in Dragon's Fall we put on public vendors and leave around the town, so I support this 100%. Expanding that into handbills with rough photos on them as winfield suggests would be a very cool addition to the game IMO. If they became a game go-to for information gathering, it would be even better. Id love to have a keepsake handbill all the participants signed when coming to an event! Handbills for advertising, wanted posters, Sexy Avatarette of the month calendars.... (meow)

We should be able to place these permanently in our homes or in our POTs, but also have some public locations we can put these up in NPC towns with a decay timer associated so we can post them and they stay up for a period of 48-72 hours for example.

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

If we can write letters and books in game via copy/paste, it shouldn't be too hard to do the same with a small .gif image or some other low resolution file type.

I think the limitation would only be the file size and not the technology end of it.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Images are tricky, because 1) it has to exist as an asset that everyone has access from, so will need to be transmitted to anyone that views it, and 2) they are much easier to break terms and conditions with.

I'd love for there to be a stock of generic woodcut-style images, logos, town banners, playbill letters, etc, that we can insert into our books. This would add to the atmosphere without shattering it.

4EverLost likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Wanted posters. :)

4EverLost, Atogrim, Rinaldi and 4 others like this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Speaking of wanted posters, has anyone seen Rats Nest's most wanted lately?

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm, people???
    Winfield is talking about real physical, here on earth, type of handbills. As in real life papers.

...just saying....

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thanks for clarifying. Someone should hang those up in gaming shops.

Epona and Winfield like this.
  9. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I <3 this thread so much! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

YES, you can use the images and logos in the Fansite Kit for this type of project... you just can't make money off of them without permission. (ie... make and sell posters, etc... to others.)

10. Winfield

EDIT: I updated the Thread Topic to say Real World for printout. Sorry I was not clearer earlier.

Yes, these are for REAL LIFE handbills. Imagine having all the creative handbills submitted to FireLotus for the Studio too! And become collectibles created by the players.

We have a gathering in Austin next weekend. I leave for there on Thursday morning, so I could print out some large format handbills to bring to the gathering, show people, have people sign, show to Devs I may run into, etc.. I would print them myself at OfficeMax, etc. I can take a TIF for high rez, or PNG I guess. I would just download from some site in large format. I would want to print them at this output size: 11 x 17 paper, with image actually 9 x 15.5 inches or 9 x 15 inchest (1 inch border), but I can resize things as long as the W x H is proportional.

Thanks FireLotus!

And any images though, should not be copyrighted unless copyrighted by the author/artist.

I guess we can use ingame images / screenshots of good quality too.

Again this is for real printout, not to sell to others, and can become part of players' and perhaps the devs' collection of goodies and player created items.

The content could be Player Owned Town based too, or some big events. For beginners, something that we can pass around that is Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues ... like a movie/play handbill (poster) perhaps.

I am inspired because we go to Austin next weekend to see Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare Play, at Richard Garriott's Curtain Theater, put on by the Baron's Men theater group. Everyone in the audience will get old style handbills like from Shakespeare's time that we can bring home and put on our walls, have the actors sign, etc.

http://thebaronsmen.org/much-ado-about-nothing/

Anyone have talent or suggestions on how to make such artistic handbills for SotA?

Thanks!

11. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

We may want to design these to match a standard size for framing and hanging on our IRL walls.

Maybe some of the favorite posters IRL could be added as a special in game item to decorate houses in game. So in our design of a template (to standardize the size, dimension, dpi, file format) we should remain open to the possibility of importing the image to use as an in game texture. LB likes the tangible items.

Winfield likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

PaxLair Handbill
    [​IMG]
    Blank Undead Theme
    [​IMG]
    Blank Kingsport Theme
    [​IMG]
    Blank Shardfall Theme
    [​IMG]
    Blank Darkstarr Theme
    [​IMG]
    Blank Owlshead Theme
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  13. Winfield

How about the master files to be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_resolution#Resolution_in_various_media

High Resolution:
    3300 x 5100 pixels which can be printed at:
    - 11 x 17 inches at 300 dpi ( 28 x 43 cm at 118 dot/cm )
    - 5.5 x 8.5 inches at 600 dpi ( 14 x 22 cm at 236 dot/cm )

Medium Resolution:
    1650 x 2550 pixels which can be printed at:
    - 11 x 17 inches at 150 dpi ( 28 x 43 cm at 59 dot/cm )
    - 5.5 x 8.5 inches at 300 dpi ( 14 x 22 cm at 118 dot/cm )

Web Resolution (96 dpi or 38 dot/cm) : (for proofing copies online):
    528 x 816 pixels

File format:
    - PNG or TIFF - uncompressed

Colors:
    - Sepia

Typical graphics programs:
    - Paint Shop Pro
    - Photo Shop

Versions:
    - Provide full handbill with text.
    - Provide handbill with graphics only, letting another user to fill in the central text as vector or raster text on their own, and publish / print.

Issues:
    - Screenshots are low res, and expanding them to medium and high res will cause graininess; but some graininess is desired for old-world printing press style printouts -- but need to feather/blur the lost pixels, so the enlarged image is not pixilated.
    - Printed colors vs on screen colors - Colors tend to be printed darker, unless the monitor is sync'd with real true color (gamma correction, etc.).

I don't know if all my numbers are correct, but gives an idea. Graphics work for computer screens is one thing, getting them for printout is not so easy. I'm not a graphics expert, and I hope we have several in our community.

I hope this helps and I can update this with any corrections/comments people make.

Themo Lock and Spoon like this.
  14. Winfield

Example handbills from The Baron's Men play group:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the composition can be several screenshots and images inside or outside the center. Text can border the central image (like below), or be inside one or more images that expand the page (like above)

[​IMG]

15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

For ease of print you could do them in US Letter Half (139.7mm x 215.9mm) at 150-300dpi in PDF. I can do one or two this week so you can see how they turn out.

Themo Lock and Winfield like this.
  16. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Love the idea.

Themo Lock and Winfield like this.
  17. Sianna Thorne

Sianna Thorne Avatar

How do we get a hold of said fansite kit materials? Are they large enough for print or web only? I am intrigued and would love to play.

Themo Lock likes this.
  18. Winfield

On the SotA web site... in Media / Videos and Other Media or go directly to this page. Link is on the top.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=21

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

this is a resized png version (25%) of a large tiff image made from 4 of the SotA wallpapers.
    [​IMG]

Gurney2, Mata, NaomiLin and 5 others like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

another 25% png version of a large tif, made from a cut up wallpaper and ranger concept art image.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.