Referral Program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ROFL The Uber, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFL The Uber

ROFL The Uber Avatar

Greetings all,

Came here through the referral program, was on the fence for a while but might as well help my buddy out.

Where can we check the referral status? Like who referred us and who we refer.

Looking forward to playing this game... mwahhahahahha

Explorer Hygard Jels and Mishri like this.
  2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Welcome Bob! According to the KS Update this morning:

"When your new recruit pledges at the $45 Adventure level (or higher) they will be prompted to enter the email address of the backer that recruited them. Please provide your recruits with the email address you registered your account with on our SotA website (or the email address of your Kickstarter account you pledged with).
    By the time you read this the SotA website will be accepting recruiter email addresses at the point when new backers make their pledge. It won't apply if you try to recruit yourself, as we won't count email addresses that are identical to the account making the pledge"

3. ROFL The Uber

ROFL The Uber Avatar

Yes, but,

I was asking:

4. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Tas is currently working on getting that functionality implemented on the site. :)

rild, Fireangel and Phredicon like this.
  5. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Thanks FireLotus and Tas!

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Bob, thanks for supporting the project and hopping on board!

I run in a geeky circle of friends, but most of them aren't into PC gaming that heavily. I don't know anyone personally who really loved Ultima. I recommended this project to everyone I knew when it was still in its KS phase. I don't know that I'll be able to get new referrals now, but I'll certainly try again.

7. ROFL The Uber

ROFL The Uber Avatar

@FireLotus
    Thanks for the update, I imagine the information will update retroactively?

@enderandrew
    I never had any real interest in Ultima either, it was UO that I really played a lot for several years when it came out. I was iffy on pledging earlier because I was not sure where development was going. I was finally convinced by a couple of buds to join in to PK/PvP.
    Between work and family I am not really looking to sink my time into leading another [imaginary] life, but leveling just to PvP I can do.

The new trailer also helped a lot, I really like how this basically looks like UO in 3D.

8. stile

stile Avatar

Welcome to the group!

9. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Ok, I like the idea of the Referral Program. However, this program has no simple way that I have found to refer people. Let me tell you how I have found that it works:

New person lands on the SotA webpage after someone sends them there.
    New person looks over the pledge packages and is presented with a button "Log In to Pledge"
    New person clicks "Log in to Pledge" and have to navigate to the bottom of the form to click on the hyperlinked word "Register" (why would this not be a button to make it stand out more?"
    New person is presented with a registration form which them must fill in only thier desired username and an email address and then click the "Register" button.
    New person is directed to check their email for a password. The email contains their Username, a temporary password and a link to the login page.
    New person clicks the link in the email, enters their username and password and clicks the "Log In" button.
    New person is redirected to their profile admin page. At this point for a new user it is not very clear what they need to do to pledge. But as we all know, they have to highlight the Shroud of the Avatar wording in the top left hand corner of the page, and then click "Visit Site".
    So, IF they figure that out and click Visit Site they are redirected to the SotA page where they can click the Pledge button.
    New person clicks "Pledge" and is redirected to a form to fill in their Name, Email, Credit Card info and a box for their referring friends email or id#.
    New person fills in the info and completes the form and the pledge.

Now, the problems that I see:

New person is forced to create an account and log in before they are allowed to pledge. Why not have the account creation page be a part of the pledge page? So they arrive on the SotA webpage, they look over the packages, they click Pledge, they are directed to a page to create an account AND enter their Credit card info and pledge amount on the same page.

Secondly, and very importantly, they are required to manually input the referring person's email or id#. This is their ONLY chance to input this information and the referring person's ONLY chance to get credit for it. So lets say the input that information incorrectly. Or since it is not a required field, they omit it totally. I, as the referrer just lost that credit. Ideally, there would be a way for me to create a link to the SotA website that will include MY id#, when clicked this link would automatically fill in the referrer id field on the form.

Can you have the guys figure out some way to make this program easier for us to implement FireLotus?

We are currently in the process of creating our guild website and would like to participate in this program, but currently it is FAR from user friendly.

Thanks and yes I am still,

Grinchy

Koldar and Mordecai like this.
  10. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

FireLotus? Any Dev? Someone from Portalarium care to address this? We would love to help with the referral program if you make it "friendly" enough for us to do so.

11. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

And you wonder why we pledgers get upset.... This is supposed to be a community for the game developers to interact with the player base. Yet when a question is posed, it is almost impossible to get a reply by anyone on the Dev team. I will not bother to repeat my questions, they are of course just above this post in the two posts directly preceding this one.

I mean, I even went as far as to tag FireLotus so that she would be sure to see the posts.

Does Portalarium really want us (the current backers) to bring new pledges to the table? If so, I would think they would at LEAST take the time to reply to this thread and the observations and questions posed.

Here I was being all nice and ya'll ruined it! Just remember, I am the nice one out of our Dynamic Duo. Don't make me get Grumpy involved.

Getting Grinchier by the minute!

12. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Have you tried emailing community@portalarium.com or support@portalarium.com or PMed Firelotus?

Your post looks more like a suggestion vs a problem, so it probably just got overlooked. And mentioning someone is funky and does not work all the time (I think an @ symbol is required and that does not work 100% of the time): not to mention all the Devs probably have thousands of alerts so I doubt they look at them at all.

You sure live up to your callsign @TheGrinch. :)

skinned and Koldar like this.
  13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@TheGrinch

Like @Umbrae said, PM/Email is probably the best way to reach someone if you have a specific question directly pointed towards the dev team.

I like your suggestion, but they only have one dev on the website (amongst his many other duties). I know that FireLotus combs the forums daily, but sometimes posts go unnoticed.

Try a PM with your suggestion. It always works for me. :)

14. FireLotus

community@portalarium.com is your friend if you really want to get my attention.

In fact, @TheGrinch, this is the first time I have seen your above question(s) and just happened to stumble on it during my daily forum crawl, so the tag feature apparently is not the best way to get my attention. I get several dozen to a hundred emails a day in 4 different mailboxes, not including the forums Private Messages. I know I often shine with a glimmer of divinity, but even I am not able to stay on top of every mention of me on the forums. :p

Oh, and I try really hard to take at least a one day off on the weekends. I see that your first post was Saturday, and I was off "playing outside"... hiking, taking pictures (that's me behind the camera) and enjoying the last of the Alaska snow free days; no where near a computer. :D

[​IMG]

We are still working to refine the referral system, as this was the prototype. It's adequate for now, but we know it needs some improvement. Those improvements are on the to do list, but are not a priority right now (getting everything ready for Alpha is!). We'll likely take another polish pass on the referral system sometime in early 2014 before we ramp up for beta.

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Freakishly awesome photo, FireLotus.

rild and Fireangel like this.
  16. FireLotus

Fireangel likes this.
  17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Why on Earth would you want to take a day off work? ;)

And not to hijack the thread, but how do you tag someone in the post?

18. FireLotus

I just drag their name down from footer of their post, Koldar.

Or you can just Quote them...

As for your other question,
    To stay smilin' my friend... to stay smilin'!

Fireangel likes this.
  19. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

And here I thought that Portalarium wanted to increase it's revenues and pledge base as much and as quickly as possible. I suppose that is what I get for thinking. Seems to me that the more cash you can shove towards alpha would be priority #1. Again, just me thinking. My issue is that I am a perfectionist. When something only half-ass works I am not satisfied with it being "adequate for now". Improve and then improve on the improvements. Just tossing something together and saying "Well this will work for now, I can fix it later" is not how I am wired. And I don't understand how anyone running a business can be wired that way either. Guess I am a different breed....

20. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Oh, and by the way that is an awesome photo FireLotus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.