I've been playing SOTA with a steam controller for the last 2 days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoristheImpaler, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

and it's been a lot of fun. Friday and half of Saturday were just trying to get the buttons and trackpads setup. The hardest part is the right trackpad for camera movement.

But Steam made this controller hyper configurable. And I'm very impressed with the ease of use. In-game, if you want to adjust the config or switch to an entirely different one (death mage to plate earth tank, etc.) you just hit the steam button and make the changes you want. When you hit the steam button again, you are back in the game.

On my default settings, the buttons are jump, sheath, scroll, pet attack, etc. And when I hold the left grip button, the buttons change to all of my spells. It's pretty damn good, if you ask me.

So now I am doubly awkward. The learning curve on the controller is steep enough and now I have to remember where each spell # is assigned on my controller. I imagine it will take a month to get to the point where I don't have to think about it anymore.

In my current living situation I have no place for a desk. I just have a recliner. Usually I laid my keyboard on me and the left arm of the recliner and my mouse went on the right arm. Now I can just use the controller, which really helps out.

The main downside is typing with the controller is really slow. It's definitely better than any other controller-typing I've tried.

I have uploaded my controller config file to the community configs for the game so other people can try it out. It's better to start with a good config file that someone else has made and then customize it to you, than starting with a genre-specific template.

NaomiLin, Numa, FrostII and 11 others like this.
  2. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I really think they need to add in native support for controllers on the camera that's really the hardest part everything else is easy to get working on a controller.

3. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

That would be nice but they did say they would not mess with the steam controller. Or at least not for episode 1. That makes sense as long as it stays a niche item.

4. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I didn't hear them say that but I also don't know how exactly the steam controller works. I think just having generic controller support using the xpad controller API or whatever it's called would be good enough. That way I can play SotA on my Nexus Player or Tablet easier.

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The point of the Steam Controller is that it emulates a keyboard and mouse most of the type, so a game doesn't have to go out of its way to support it.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Reads like a commercial. So either you are paid or it's really good.
    Since I doubt the first I guess I will have to take a second look at the controller ;-)

7. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

Actually, I'm not endorsing it. While I'm having fun with it, the reviews are mixed. I would advise people to do your homework on it.

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Thanks for the feedback. I have been very excited about the Steam controller, but have been waiting to see what people say in the wild about it. I use an Xbox One controller a lot, but with games like SOTA, with a heavy mouse requirement, I have not even tried. Hoping the Steam controller closes this gap.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

To be honest: I am the old school kind of gamer guy.
    I still believe controllers to be a fashion of all those console kids and that they will come around at some point because they will realize that you get much better control of your games when you use a mouse and a keyboard. I of course know that I am wrong ^^

10. enderandrew

My buddy was one of the luck 400 around the globe that got the initial Steam Box and Controller for free for alpha/beta testing. I tried the controller and didn't care for it. It was very sensitive and difficult to use like a mouse. There was a trackpad in the middle that I believe was replaced with four buttons.

I hear the new Steam Controller that they're supposed to sell this year is much nicer and refined but I haven't used it yet. I'm curious to try it out before I buy one.

11. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

Yeah, steam delayed the release for a year, because the controller wasn't ready and it really shows. In an era of games/hardware being released with all kinds of bugs, I have had no issues. And they have drastically improved steam big picture. (I'm sold on using it but they should include apps as well)

A lot of the complaints on the controller forum of 2 kinds, so far: Valid criticism like the controller should be fully customizable when using outside of steam (right now it's a very clunky to use) and less valid criticism where people who simply haven't given it enough time, declare it an utter failure.

I think in a months time people will have passed over the steep learning curve and there will be less of the latter.

12. enderandrew

I'm eager to try out the new version.

13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm waiting for mine to be delivered before R23 hits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.