POT NPCs

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Kit Kimberlin, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

Do NPC vendors in POT NPC buildings count toward the total number of NPCs you may have in your town ? Can you place your town allotted NPCs in a NPC structure ?
    Does the Town Crier and the Banker count toward that number ?
    Do animals count as NPCs ? Say if I wanted a dog and cat or a couple horses in a pasture ?

Ariella likes this.
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

1. Yes. Those are the only NPCS I've ever heard being available in pots.

2. Each NPC building comes with its own NPCs.

3. The town crier is a "free" NPC, because it is mandatory. The banker would count because it comes with the bank, just like the bank guard.

4. No word on placing animals in Pots at the moment, though it has been requested.

Kit Kimberlin likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I've been seeking clarification on NPC count.

Buildings come with certain numbers of NPCs guaranteed. But a Metropolis for example is listed as having up to 30 NPCs. But if you took the first 15 NPC buildings available, I think you'd only end up with 11 NPCs. Several of the options have 0 NPCs and very few have 2. There is effectively no way to really get 30 NPCs purely from the NPC buildings alone.

I do not know if this means you can request a few extras or not.

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

We can pick multiple of the same types, and the most a building can have is 2, so 15 NPC buildings with 2 NPC's each in a Metro is how I understood it maxing out.

It does make things confusing that an NPC limit is even mentioned, if they are already restricted by how many NPC buildings you can pick. Seems redundant to even mention it.

5. enderandrew

There are very few options that come with 2 NPCs.

Saying that a Metropolis can have 30 NPCs only if the town is literally nothing but 15 guard towers seems a little disingenuous. Why even list the number 30 separately at all if what they mean is the absolute limit is what you get with your NPC buildings?

6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Right. But, technically, you could do it with 2 Banks, Home Shop, 3 Taverns and 9 Guard Towers, or any combination thereof. There has been zero talk of any other NPC availability, unless they introduce more building options. The only other thing I could possibly see would be allowing the owner to place animals or NPC's gotten from pledges or add-on's, but that is complete speculation with no Dev support even hinting at it whatsoever.

7. enderandrew

Even your best case scenario there is pretty absurd.

You have a Metropolis with no weapon shop, crafting shop, armor shop, etc. But you have 2 banks (on top of the free bank from the town crier), 3 taverns and 9 guard towers?

It is still an absurd premise.

There is no point in separately saying you can have 30 NPCs if it is unobtainable in any practical sense and if the count is 100% determined by your NPC building selections.

8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Still agreeing with you. Your absurd could be someone elses reasonable design though. There isn't anything inherently absurd about having multiple taverns and banks. Only inefficient.

But again, I agree it is redundant to even mention an NPC limit if it is simply based on building selection.

9. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Perhaps there will be some random town folk available as NPCs at some point.

Beggar, playing children, roving guards, shopper, strolling townsfolk, hawker at a theatre, well you get the drift.

Womby, Kit Kimberlin and Derium like this.
  10. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

That is what I understood our NPCs to be. I dont think it would be difficult to place static NPCs like deco in a town who can interact when questioned. Not even asking for them to be roaming. They dont even have to talk if that is unreasonable. Just adding the flavor of additional people and or animals would do much to enhance the appeal. The NPC number listing leads me to believe this is possible, not just static "generic" NPC vendors. The building NPCs seem like they are part of the buildings, and not anything additional.

11. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Are we now allowed to post videos and DEV+ information off the QA server into the live forums?? As far as I know this has not been released to the general public yet has it (I too was excited to share the information)?

Taken Care of. :D Nothing to see here...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Spoon sent me a PM as well.

I just deleted my content.

13. enderandrew

Where in the Dev+ forums is this answered?

Can you post a link? I must have missed that thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.