Official Answer - Weapon Damage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Frank, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I entirely agree!
    I will try to do more with the tools I have.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Tbh I prefer Sir Frank KC's style over heavily edited cut scenes of typical YouTube videos. Obviously as he does more he'll find his groove. Great job so far.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

Hey, cut the guy a break. We're all new at this. I'm sure Frank will improve over time, but trust me, you don't want me doing this instead of Frank.

4. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

This, so much this please. Perhaps an arrangement can be make with FL that he gets a simple bullet-pointed list of general things worked on / completed each week.

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Fire Lotus was just saying in another thread that he is busy and wouldn't mind some help in the community. I was just going to ping him and see what he thought of this suggestion. If Sir Frank KC did a weekly summary of the community, I wouldn't be surprised if Fire Lotus in turn helped promote the video by sticking the thread and perhaps linking to it in the SotA updates.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Psssst. FireLotus is a 'she'...

7. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

If you don't want to be killed, change the he in a she, FireLotus is female ;)

What i would really like to see is a summary about some discussions in the game features part of the Forum. There are so many suggestions in it, that i can't follow at least 25%. I would be cool to get some hints what was talked about last week.

8. enderandrew

::hangs my head in shame::

I knew that as well. I apologize for the snafu. I have a sick newborn and I blame my sleep deprived brain.

9. rild

rild Avatar

Also, I imagine Dame Lori will include a list of these answers on forsakenvirtues.com when her she is back from traveling. The game features section there is nicely organized, and I use her recaps on Pen of the Avatar whenever I miss one. Very helpful!

10. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I can relate, I am sure there's no need to apologize if you are in that position. :)

11. stile

stile Avatar

Well done sir and thank you!

Miracle Dragon and Sir Frank KC like this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hey Frank, I hope you can take the criticisms with a grain of salt so to speak, that just seems to be the way it goes for YouTube personalities. :)

I enjoyed the video, and am happy about the news! Don't be discouraged, if this is something you have time for and are passionate about then try to have fun and enjoy the process. I hope we develop into a strong SotA community and hey, every strong community needs YouTube channels to watch. ;) I look forward to watching your channel grow!

rild, Sir Frank KC and Margard like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One small suggestion.. if you put the date in the title of your post it would help place the answers in perspective. Since most people pay no attention to the date a post is made.. and let's face it.. most answers are likely to be lacking in details. People should understand the time frame the answers are given in. KS aside we're not even 5 full months into development right now.

rild and Sir Frank KC like this.
  14. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I just wish there was a written summary of this information instead of any video we had to watch.

A written new stream or just a forum update takes seconds to read. Video is just annoying and takes too long. a written feed or posts is better way to tell us of what official decisions have been made at Portalarium

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I know the topic is titled 'official answer' but it's not coming from portalarium directly is it? It's coming from a volunteer fan who is reporting news that he personally seeked out by interviewing Starr Long on his own for the purpose of delivering it on his YouTube channel. And there's nothing wrong with that, people are reporting news all over the internet via YouTube. ;)

If you want to watch his channel and create a forum thread with posts scripting the information, I'm sure you could.. we've been doing it for other interviews we've watched on youtube.. but I don't expect Markee Dragon to log into our forums and post a script of his questions and answers on a thread for us when he interviews RG..

rild and Margard like this.
  16. enderandrew

The answers are coming from Starr Long, Executive Producer of the project and Frank is reading Starr Long's official response.

Margard likes this.
  17. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Get over it, he has paid a lot for this and instead of hogging that access he is making it freely available and all he is asking from you is that you look at his channel. He could keep it to himself, he could charge you for it but he is doing neither and it cost HIM.

Margard likes this.
  18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, seems like the door closing, so there may not be many more official answers coming through me.

For the few people that watched the videos, you already know how this started, but for those that haven't I will briefly tell you.

During my visit, a couple of the devs gave me permission to contact them directly. The one that coordinated my visit seemed to be pretty willing to talk, so I asked if it would be ok to send a question or two a week to get an official answer. This would give me material to make videos, and provide a little information each week to the crowd, rather than long dry spells. He took the idea to the team and they evidently decided that it would be ok to give it a try. My first answer came from Richard, and my second from Starr, so that demonstrates a willingness on their part, and that there was no secret information being passed to me from my source without an official blessing.

I asked a question that I thought would be a real softball, but they declined to answer. I am unsure why, but there must be a good reason. Portalarium has not been shy about saying that they have an answer, but aren't ready to reveal the information yet. And they have been pretty open about things they haven't gotten around to yet.

I currently have a question open with Starr. It's not an easy question, and I expected that I might get an immediate rejection, but that hasn't happened yet. So, I'm just going to wait.

It could be that they've decided talking to me isn't a good idea.
    Or maybe they're just busy.
    Or maybe they're trying to craft an answer that they won't have to walk back later.

Independently, Markee Dragon requested a guest to appear on his show to talk about the same subject.
    So, perhaps Starr will be the guest and wants to answer the question just once.

So there's that.

Now, about people not wanting to watch videos, and have a single place to go for official answers that they can quickly scan for what interests them. I guess we'd call that a FAQ, or an official list of game features, or whatever.

To be done right, that would have to be done by an insider, but they all have growing lists of more important things to do. Up until now, Dame Lori seems to have taken up that task, making video transcripts and posting them here and on forsakenvirtues.com. I do not wish to step on Dame Lori's toes, nor do I feel up to the task of roping in information from many sources and crunching it into one easily digested form.

I don't know of anyone else doing YouTube videos, so I'll stick to that. As I gain experience, perhaps the videos will turn into something people want to watch. It will be easier when information starts to flow more freely.

Miracle Dragon and rild like this.
  19. enderandrew

20. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Hey Frank, just wanted to say that you should continue doing what you're doing and that you will only get better with experience.

Having said that, I'll echo some of the sentiments others said about the video length and getting to the answer. By all means, make a video that shows your personality and draws viewers in to your own flavor of presentation. I would just put the answer in text in the youtube description as well as the forum post.

The reason being is that not only do some people not have time to watch a video, but in some instances people are at work with limited access. IE: They can't all be watching Call Of Duty youtube videos all day long like my roommate/coworker over here.

Also, I often see youtube uploaders posting the quick answer in their descriptions for those who don't have the time or ability to watch the video. In most cases, people mark the video to watch later when they get home to get the 'full scoop.' So don't worry too much about missing out on views.

Don't be discouraged if people at Portalarium don't get back to you right away. They are most likely busy. And don't worry about someone else scooping your questions. As long as the info gets out there, that's good. And you can even make a response video where you comment on what you think about the answer to the question.

If anything, you can always ping Fire Lotus (maybe not often - like once a week?) and see if she could maybe ask on your behalf to see if maybe someone forgot about your email which may be buried in some folder somewhere, flagged but forgotten.

Thanks for your work and good luck in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.