YOUR PLEDGE OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LORD CHAOS, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

Hello everyone, I am having a hard time deciding what or if to pledge (was shooting for Edelmann) due to something disturbing that has come up recently with SOTA. I will NEVER say what it is due to the fact that I want to hear your unbiased opinions on if you are to this point still happy with the pledge you made and why if possible. There were at least 7 gamers whom I tried turning onto this game, (and were basing their pledges on mine) but now I think I need some serious encouragement as to why I should try resuming pressing this game upon them. Again, I will never say what led me to question pledging, but maybe you all have see something that I haven't noticed for the better.Thankyou for those whom reply seriously.

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The correct answer here is that if you aren't comfortable being involved, then don't.

If you're unhappy with something, try to work it out with FireLotus via email, or just walk away.

And of course, you shouldn't press other people to sign up for something you don't stand behind.

Hopefully, those other folks can read up on the game and decide for themselves.

Deliverence, Salix, RelExpo and 5 others like this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I am happy with my Citizen pledge and can't wait for the game. I would pledge higher if I could, but I already used money I borrowed against my life insurance and 401k for SOTA, which I was already taking out to repair storm damage to my home (BTW Farm Bureau Insurance is a bunch of crooks but that is another matter).

Isaiah MGT470 and Mordecai like this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you pledged something based on what you think you will personally get out of it, you pledged for the wrong reason. If you pledged because you think that SotA sounds like it will be a good game and you want to contribute to the effort of bringing that game to market, then why should you be unhappy with what you pledged?

Salix likes this.
  5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

At first glance your post, OP, was very confusing. I had to break it down to even understand what you're asking:
    Ok, so from the title I got an idea of what you were looking for.
    By here, its clear that you want our opinions regarding pledges, because your faith has been disturbed by some kind of news. Ofc, its relatively safe to assume that, by being on the forums and backers of the game, we're generally optimistic.
    So then, your upset about something, but its a secret, and you want our opinions, perhaps to restore your faith.
    I don't know you well, but I know that you wanted to be an Edelmann (an expensive backer level), and now I know that you have at least 7 gamers who you may be able to bring to SotA. So it seems that you have a lot of potential money to offer overall, and you would like encouragement because you're feeling down about something. However, you remind us once more, that you won't tell use what is actually bugging you. I'd like to help you (as would many others here no doubt), however I'm not going to spend all day trying to fix your car if you won't tell me what's wrong with it. I'm far too busy making up metaphors.

Freeman and Goblin King like this.
  6. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

What is the difference if I had just asked, "hey guys' whats with your pledges &why?" versus stating somethings changed my mind considerably? Im not asking you to FIX any issues I have, I was simply trying to rethink things due to some circumstances that arose. Like I said, maybe you guys have something that'd you'd like to share that either others or myself can say, "Yeah you know what, so & so had some really good points as to why THEY think it's gonna be great". After all, life/everything isn't just about my thoughts/feelings as I wouldn't be playing single player at all. You would be the population, so I was asking your thoughts as Im not selfish in any shape or form.

7. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I apologize my friend. It is not my intention to turn your thread into a flame war. To answer your question, the difference is the relative level of melodrama. Bringing up a secret problem with the game, and then citing it as your main reason why you're upset, begs the question of what that secret problem is. If you had left it out to begin with, you would have directed the thread in a more concise direction.

What I like about SotA: The game is so young that it is little more than an ideal for many of us, supported by RG and his original cast of devs. I like the bits and pieces I hear about the actual game, but more so, I like the interactivity between devs and players and the lack of a big name publisher (it provides me with hope in a world where economists dictate the development of games). Lastly, I enjoy the community that has gathered around this game.

Erth, Salix, licemeat and 2 others like this.
  8. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

#1 &#2 So if you feel uncomfortable with something, you just walk away without trying to see it from all angles, not just your own?( I was looking for opinions based on an unbiased player base &not a community managers view) #3 &#4 Again was it wrong of me trying to get these console players to try something different? Also if they never really got into pc games, should I then just sit back/mute and hope they accidently read up on this game, hoping it may be something different/good for all of us? Odds are that they never ever would've heard about this game if not for me. They certainly can make their own choices, but wouldn't one feel somewhat obligated to kind of keep them informed in issues which we might think positively/negatively about since i was the one telling them about SOTA?

9. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

Thankyou sir, thats the type of thing I was looking for & am sorry if I lead any astray. Im very new to pc forums and am faaaaaaar from perfect.

10. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Sorry I disagree there, of course you pledged for what you get out of it. People don't even give to charity without getting something back (even if that is just feeling good about themselves) and this isn't a charity, its a company seeking to make a profit.

Did you pledge and then write to Fire lotus and say "don't give me anything including the game because I just wanted to donate to your charity"? of course you didn't, you chose your level based on how much you could afford and what you got for that money. Hell even RG himself was asking during kickstarter "what can we offer you to get you to increase your pledge" so even HE understands that people are doing it for the rewards

hanskrsg and LORD CHAOS like this.
  11. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I pledged because I trust Richard Garriott to make a game I want to play. I pledged because I want to be part of the process of getting this game to market. I pledged because in a capitalist society one votes with their dollars and I voted for a business model that empowers consumers. I am not disappointed.

Erth, Salix, Mordecai and 3 others like this.
  12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. If I'm buying college football tickets, I can get better seats by making a donation to the school. Some small % of this is counted towards the value of actually getting better seats. The rest is a donation to the school athletic program (and is tax deductible in this case).

13. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I pledged because well...it's a secret.

Erth, Salix, Mordecai and 1 other person like this.
  14. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Lord Chaos, I personally backed this game, at an Edelmann level and will be raising it to above Knight level, as well as my wife pledging at the Royal Artisan level. We did so because we believe in RG and the team to make a game we want to play for years and years. I have had several concerns about things that MAY or MAY NOT be in the game, but regardless of whether I agree with those things, I trust the Devs vision for the game and I support it to the point of it being made the best it can be, and then trying it. Even if there are aspects of the game I don't like, I will wait to see if they can make things I don't think I like, enjoyable. I hope everyone will try the game, enjoy and play it long term, for their sake as well as for the success of the game.

Having read your previous posts, I could make assumptions as to what things are disconcerting to you, and perhaps your friends that have not wanted to give the game a chance, but I would say unless the game is completely different than you assumed it would be, than give it a while longer and see. Or perhaps pledge at a lower level and wait for Alpha/Beta to increase it. Then again, for example, if you expected a game to be a one thing, or identical to something else, and you are now realizing that it's not, you may be more happy supporting a different game.

Hope that has helped!

15. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I plan to someday plunk down between $550 and $1600. I've only pledged $10 to date. If I had more to give, I'd pay more. But I'm poor and the $10 was simply to reserve my right to get all the extras at a later date.

That said, I have my own concerns that I'd be happy to share with anyone. I'd like you to reconsider sharing your concerns because if they're valid it would be nice to have an opportunity to save my money.

Here are some basic concerns that I have right now though, in no particular order:
    1) Small Dev Team.
    2) Ambitious Goals, including an Oct. 2014 release date.
    3) Niche Market.
    4) Small Fanbase.
    5) High Expectations.
    6) Development Team has been light on game design details.
    7) Talk of a Vendor Based Economy. Epic Fail.
    8) 2.4 million is pledged amount not guaranteed amount.
    9) Richard Garriott's development track record has had some ups and downs along the way.
    10) Mixed messages concerning what this game is and what this game is not.

Wow, this would be a great beginning for a post on my fansite. (Makes a note for future content muse.)

Again, I'm looking forward with great hope and anticipation of what "could be" but this cake is a long way from baked. I'm struggling to get my closest friends to buy into it, but I think a lot of that has to do with the lack of information and the simplistic demo that's available. The whole package that SotA is selling "right now" is basically, "Hi I'm Richard Garriott, I made a lot of games that were good in the 1980's. I have this cool team of experienced and talented people that want to make a game the right way. Please give us the money we need to do that." That's about it. That's all I have to pitch to my friends who are blasted daily with shiny images and slick marketing behind legacy franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Marvel.

If you're a hardcore fan of the type of PVP, Roleplaying, Exploration, and Achievement that occurred in UO, I think you really have to keep an eye on this game. But it's not an easy sell by any means. The people that are here, are here because they want it to be something - not because it IS something. Cross your fingers.

Erth and Sir Frank KC like this.
  16. High Baron Asguard

what are you talking about? the money was paid as soon as kickstarter finished and pledges on here were paid as soon as they were made

17. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That's really well said. Especially that last paragraph.

18. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Payment plans. There's a certain percentage of funds that are not received and not contractually obligated to be received in the future. Anyone that sets up a payment plan can stop payments at anytime.

For a small sized project like this, the absence of say 200k (I'm just making this number up) from your budget would probably be severe and keep guys like Dallas up all night.

19. High Baron Asguard

Some yes, but only a tiny percentage. More than 2.25 was pledged before the layby plans even came in so all that money is locked in

20. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

It's still a concern. I don't think it's safe to assume that they couldn't use more money, especially since they never stop asking for it (and they shouldn't).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.