Sold off and letting go.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

That's a loss because you've been active on the forum from the very beginning. When the game launches, if you want to play, hit me up and I'll share whatever I can.

I'm not surprised customer service is slow with the byzantine system of accounts, add-ons and expirations. Patience is being tried for a lot of folk I fear, especially when you add to it those who joined looking for the solo Ultima experience.

There are some amazing solo RPG Kickstarters that have smaller, less-entrenched communities where you might feel more at home... hopefully one comes up that piques your interest.

Heradite, Womby, Epona and 1 other person like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ouch. That is sad.
    :(

Even more sad that I've probably contributed since I'm one of the pod.
    :oops::(

Really hope to see you back.

Fare thee well and safe journey on perilous roads.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Rune, you say you want Ultima-like content. That's fair enough. Most everyone does.

But the devs have said many times that content build-out comes after Alpha. Beta is when content is complete. We are still in pre-Alpha. So any Ultima like content is just now starting to be built.

Given that, my advice is to consider if this is more about impatience on your end moreso than RG's failure to deliver. Its just not fair for someone to point at RG for not building an Ultima-like game when they are not sticking around to see the content as it is built.

You have more than 4,000 posts here, man. That's a lot. Maybe you are just too far into the details and need to let go for a bit? Take a break, then come back. Maybe the content you are looking for will be built.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    royalsexy, Womby, Ancev and 2 others like this.
  4. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

I'm at the lowest pledge tier (have been for a while now) and I've received excellent customer support up to this point. I've been in contact with Portalarium twice now and both times I received a pretty prompt response. I suppose you and I have had it different.

As far as the discussion about player owned towns - I really do think it makes sense that the people who have bought into them at this point (Pre-alpha, early access) SHOULD have a say in their development and how they work. That's part of the beauty of crowd funding. Part of the point of buying in to one so early is so that you ultimately have a voice in what they are/how they work when the system is finished. I'm not in a situation where I'll ever be able to afford one with cash so I understand that any input I might have in their development would not have as much impact since it's a game system that doesn't affect me very much.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I know we don't see eye to eye on many things but i'm sorry to see you go. I hope you consider just taking a break and coming back closer to launch, hopefully you might enjoy the game more than you have been.

Heradite, royalsexy, Womby and 5 others like this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

You make a common mistake to collapse the solo player experience onto the story alone. There are elements such as companions, the virtue system and many other things which can be discussed without the big spoilers that everyone fears like death itself (and which are already happening I might add). Plus, Rune has been here a long time and knows this.

I hope others will consider that this is a very thoughtful player before they try to dismiss his point of view.

7. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

It makes me sad that you will walk away from here Rune :( I'm like you a fan of the original Ultima single player games but I also like to play online together with other people from time to time. Maybe this is one reason I'm more satisfied with the current status of the game than you. Anyway - I hope your decision isn't cast in stone and you come back after some time. I and all the other single player fans will miss you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Oh no!
    You cannot go. There are so few of us single player fans left here and the more leave the more SotA could drift towards being a MMORPG with a story attached that you can play alone instead of a true single player RPG. We have to fight the good fight! Fight for a great single player Ultima-like experience!
    I understand your feelings and I, too have a hard time seeing SotA becoming a game that can be compared to Ultima 7. I still fear that we will get a MMORPG first and foremost and not a true single player experience. Right now everything points in this direction. Yes the story is not there yet but there are still so many features missing before this game can also be a true single player RPG. A game that does not feel like an empty MMO when you play in single player mode.
    But I still have faith. After all it was promised during the Kickstarter campaign.
    So, please stay and help us continue to fight our battle. The battle for SotA to become a true and deep single player game, too!

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe it would be time for Richard Garriot to address to community again and make clear his vision for the game and what we can expect in terms of single player gameplay experience, how SotA will differ from other "regular" single player games (in offline mode, too) and what has changed according to his vision since the Kickstarter campaign. Maybe it's just me but watching the first Kickstarter videos makes me think that SotA was planned to be a different game than what it seems to become now...

10. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I am really sorry to hear you are stepping back, Rune. Hope you reconsider and let your voice be heard again after taking a break.
    You will be missed.

Heradite, cobran, Deliverence and 4 others like this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I was stunned to see this thread. It's unfortunate that this game has lost a player that has fought so hard in support of the single RPG experience in SOTA. And just like you, I've been playing the Ultima series since the 80's. The thing that attracted me to this game was the idea that an MMO could be combined with a single player experience, but also have a friends only option or single player only option. However, as this game developed over the past two years, I can see the inherent problems with doing something like this. I am still hopeful, however, that we do get the level of story telling and game mechanics that we are accustomed to in the Ultima series.
    As a true defender of the single player RPG, you will be missed here :(.

Edited

Heradite, Deliverence, Epona and 4 others like this.
  12. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

When I see these kind of responses I can completely understand why someone would want to walk away from this community.

Heradite, Deliverence, Epona and 8 others like this.
  13. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Bye. Hope you find what you are looking for. If you decide to come back and play, know that you will always be welcome here.

14. Flientje Vantmeeden

Flientje Vantmeeden Localization Team

Hey Rune,sry to read that!Take a break...or two...and after a while without these forums and special community,you'll miss us....and return...pls!
    (If not so,whereever you'll play,have always fun and always a lot of good loot^^)

Heradite and Sir Cabirus like this.
  15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I am very sorry to see you go. I always appreciated reading your viewpoints on many topics, just as I appreciate everyone else's viewpoints. I sincerely hope you will decide to return to the game.

Heradite, Deliverence, Epona and 3 others like this.
  16. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

My advice, take a break from both the forums and game for a bit. I have found that early development games like this tend to gather a lot if drama and polarizing viewpoints. And frankly at the end if the day the forums are just noise not worth getting upset over.

The game is incomplete, return when it's finished and decide if you spent 45$ wisely.

Heradite and Oba Evesor like this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But now is the time to make himself heared that he wants to have a true single player experience. If he is not around anymore then all the MMO fans might push the game away from a single player experience and when he returns he might find a MMORPG that you can play offline... and this is definitely not what we single player fans want.

18. Mordecai

Mordecai Avatar

Farewell Rune. Britannia will miss you.

Galamar, Derium, Heradite and 2 others like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't really think Richard is going to fall short of giving the Single Player fans a great game. I don't know why anyone would worry about that. He is the force behind the single player options even the mmo part of this game has. You can tell he is single player minded at heart. I want the best of both worlds myself. I also like player single player sometimes. I loved Divinity Original Sin for example. Oh well I don't want to argue but I disagree about the need to worry part. I think it just takes some trust and patience. imho that is.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I am honestly touched by some of the comments here, means a lot to me.

I want it to be clear that I'm fully aware a lot of the content is coming later in the games life span. I get that. If you follow most of my posts you will see I know that.

This isn't even about that. I didn't get to far into my problems with customer service due to the fact I don't really want to air dirty laundry. I get accused of reporting others(rarely do btw) and moderated for the most bizarre reasons that no one would normally be moderated for. I have been called a troll by a moderator which I don't find acceptable. I feel that it was only a matter of time before I will be perma banned and stepping away is an easy way to fix that.

I like a lot of you....some not so much, but I don't hate anyone....I just need to step a way for a bit....believe it or not, I feel horrible for letting guys like lord darkmoon and sir cabirus down.

I'm not gone, just need a break.

I'm still able to post and I will probably read the forums, but my care level isn't very high.

Smitty, By Tor [MGT], Derium and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.