POT Choice to remove Single Player Online Mode

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Well he could change it to PVE and then ban everyone for entering it. So maybe not take it, but restrict everyone else's access to the content it provides.

The Blessings of PVE! Then he could really control your mode of gameplay!

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's not correct.

Player OWNED towns. *drops mic*

Womby and Enfo like this.
  3. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

So just summing up everything:

If you do NOT have PVP enabled: You should be allowed to restrict a persons access to a POT, including SPO.
    If you DO have PVP enabled: You should not be allowed to restrict a persons access to a POT, including SPO.

I need more popcorn on the logic of this one.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

How, exactly, would he do this? Ban each person, individually? Ok. That must be a fun minigame.

5. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Its possible all the same, I'm sure eventually you will have someone who bans anyone that is not their friends/guild/paying subscriber of their town.. oh wait a minute... their already is.

6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I didn't solely pay for the island template.

You didn't solely pay for everything in your hex.

Better leave your mic. You don't need to do any more soapboxing.

7. Drocis the Devious

Well, I wouldn't ban people or have a PVE town so it's a moot point.

But the logic is still important to understand. It's ok to ban people if you think they don't fit your PVE mold, but it's not ok to restrict the game (read: the POT) to FULL MULTIPLAYER and not ban anyone because it infringes on their ability to enter YOUR POT in a way that damages the way you want your POT to work?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  8. Browncoat Jayson

Also, ban doesn't affect SPO (necessary to allow folks to get to the bank/town crier). It doesn't actually change your mode, only sorting them into a different instance. So effectively this does nothing to remove access to anyone.

9. Drocis the Devious

It impacts Friends Only Mode. You can't play with your friends if you're banned from the POT they're in. So it's a completely valid parallel. You should probably take a pitch fork and torch over to one of those threads about PVE banning now. Otherwise this would appear to be a bit hypocritical to single out PVP POTs.

10. Browncoat Jayson

Possibly, except for one thing: you forcing me into OPO (especially if /ignore doesnt work) will make it so I have no choice in who I play with, opening up folks for all kinds of abuse. Being banned reduces who I can play with, not expands it.

Put it this way, if I have a 13 year old son who is targeted for abuse online by another player in SotA, I can play with him in FPO and we can block that player so we will never get sorted with him. Except if we have friends in Rats Nest so we come and hang out with them, and he can show up there. Possibly muted, sure. But that is what you are essentially asking for, the REQUIREMENT that everyone be available to be in OPO, even when there is actual reasons for people not to be.

If that's really what you want... frankly, no. That's not your call. Ever.

If he is dumb and gets himself banned from another town, yeah he can't play with me when he went there. That's on him. But hes not going to run into someone we blocked while hes forced into SPO for that instance either.

11. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

So I guess you will make some kind of rule about waylaying people at the spawn in? I see that happening. The Biome's are fairly large but I suspect PVP to get really weaselly, especially if there is something to gain from it. Also alot of griping and this or that's not fair, etc. etc.

12. Drocis the Devious

Jayson, I just want my POT to have real pvp. That's all I'm trying to do. If you don't want real pvp, don't go in my POT. It's not a difficult thing to do. Just go somewhere else, there's an entire game out there to explore.

13. Drocis the Devious

I don't know what the right answer is for spawn points. Right now I figure I'll just put a bunch of guard towers there so people that are jerks get shot the moment they try to enter Rats Nest. :)

But this is really a much more complex problem than I've been given the tools to fix. I'm hoping that when the devs get some time they'll put some bandwidth into how PVP spawn points are handled. No one likes being spawn camped. I think it's a stupid thing to do and it shows a lack of maturity. But the real issue is on the development side of the house, it has to be designed for.

14. Curt

Curt Avatar

You wish you could have npc guards attacking anyone without a pvp flag thats enter your town?

15. Browncoat Jayson

I realize that, and I'm happy that you want real PVP. I just don't agree that this is the way to do it, and I'm pointing out there are reasons people may want to come to your town but are NOT going to be in OPO. There is a reason why mode is a choice.

Jatvardur likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

No, I'm talking about putting guards near the entrances so people can't be spawn camped when they visit. I'm not sure how many guards I'll have yet, but it will probably be over 50 and they will be in key points that hopefully will allow anyone to visit with "relative safety".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. Drocis the Devious

Mode is still a choice though...

You can't use mode to shield yourself from PVP. That's exactly what I'm saying is an exploit. Rats Nest is a PVP town, it's not a PVP town for people that want PVP. If you don't like PVP don't go to Rats Nest. My POT should be designed to support PVP, not people that just want to hang out in it and explore it. That only hurts my town.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

TOWN not Instance . You own what you place in the instance and have the choice of Biome, not the entire Instance.

So you aim to spawn camp Visitors.

Jatvardur likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

There's no Rats Nest instance without my Rats Nest town. That's like saying "I'm going to watch the Super Bowl in the stadium" but then later telling everyone that you actually watched it on TV and that was the same thing. The Super Bowl, and Rats Nest are not "instances" they are places and you either visit them or you don't.

The multiple instances of Rats Nest are all owned by me.

Now if you want to get technical and go into a virtual property rights discussion, that's way beyond this topic. I'm not staking a legal claim to my POT. I'm simply saying that I'm the only person that gets to make decisions about it. Now I still need the developers to support those decisions, and that's why I'm lobbying here. Ultimately, they don't have to do anything with my POT they don't want to. I totally understand that. So please spare me the slippery slope, "it doesn't work like that" extra conversation - I'm not going to entertain that side bar.

I went back and edited that. It was supposed to say can't.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Ok, thanks. I understand the philosophical need. Unfortunately, I fear that ship may have sailed with the game design promising both single and multiplayer modes. Perhaps the developers will clarify whether POTs will not be available in single player mode. Like you, I thought that was clearly possible, though I cannot find the citation for it describing its limitations. This would be a great question to ask about for the R23 dev post mortem hangout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.