POT Choice to remove Single Player Online Mode

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I was just thinking that as a town owner, you have the power to control who lives in your town. If you have everyone living in your town(s) on your friend list, we might be able to simply track what mode of gameplay members on our friend list are in, and if you see any of them switch modes, evict them from their housing lot.. give them a warning, add them to a black list, etc.

So yeah, it'd be more work, but at least it might be something you can work on. Just put up a bunch of signs, advertising that your town is meant to be played in MPO only, and anyone caught entering in other modes will be 'punished'.

It's not as straightforward as taking away the other modes completely, but since you already have control of who lives in your town, as the owner, if you can just do some policing, you might get a similar result that you're looking for.

Andaluz likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I appreciate the spirit of the idea, Miracle Dragon. But I don't want to kick out people just because they are in single player mode. I want everyone that wants to be in Rats Nest to be there.

I just don't want people using single player mode to avoid pvp and risk. So doing what you're suggesting would actually defeat the purpose of the OP, and reduce my town population through self inflicted wounds.

3. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Everyone could still have entered the HEX as a pre generated encounter without it being a POT. We would not end up with 230+ voids on the overland map if POT's did not exist.

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

The only person with a reasonable claim to exclude people in SPO is Blake, since he is the only person (afaik) who has a custom template plus he paid for all the towns that make up his POT.

It isn't possible / likely because:
    1. He didn't pay for all the assets therefore it isn't his town 100 percent. No need to make this rocket science.
    2. He wants as many people to visit his town. (excluding people on any arbitrary basis isn't likely to be positive for reputation, but hey ho...)

E n v y likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

So you're saying there's a price tag of 10k on disabling your POT from single player online? That seems more than excessive since it's literally existing technology that would probably only require a flag change to perform in my POT. That's one expensive flag change!

I'm going to keep asking for this because it's crucial to providing real pvp in my POT, and my POT is all about real pvp. For those that don't enjoy real pvp, they're welcome to explore the other 99.9% of the map that's not owned and managed by me.

6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I don't think there is any reason to worry about SPO for your POT. I'm guessing it would probably be easy to set it up like the Shard Fall areas where if you go in, there will be a warning and everyone will be bumped in scene. As they already have that functionality in place, i don't see any reason you can't request it.

7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

The answer to that question is: no. Firstly, I said that Blake doesn't fully own his town (SotA art is crowdfunded, as is the infrastructure). Secondly, the price is now 15k for a custom town. ;-)

A better question would have been 'do I believe that Blake owns enough of his town such that he should be granted the power to block people from accessing that town in SPO?' To which I'd scratch my head and consider it: I lean towards no if the prerequisites for such a flag were accessible to all POT owners (i.e. no fee). Where I'd perhaps accept the existence of such a flag is when it is unlikely to be available to most towns: i.e. a custom town (which currently make up a tiny percentage of the total number of towns). On the latter point the devs could grant you the sole power to do that for your town and most of the game would perhaps be unaffected; however, making that power universally available is not wise (regardless of PVP or not). The catch: if you solely had that power then I'd have to question why you were given that power and no one else: if you have have paid for that privilege (some large fee for the sole purpose of accessing this flag) then I'd be more willing to roll with it.

I'm not a pvper but I do hope to do some pvp. I disagree that such a flag is necessary for PVP pots. I also disagree on the terminology 'real PVP'. If you which to qualify that terminal as your opinion that is, of course, perfectly acceptable but using that terminology to add credit to your argument panders to fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  8. Drocis the Devious

It's totally my opinion. I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise.

But it's important to understand that for my POT, it's my opinion that matters the most to me. I'm ready to live and die by my choice for MY POT, if other people feel strongly about having single player online mode available in MY POT, and they choose to live or pvp somewhere else, that's fine and I respect their choice.

But what I don't respect is the idea that somehow people that aren't interested in the type of PVP I'm committed to providing in Rats Nest should worry about what I do in Rats Nest. It's really none of their business.

I don't have an expectation to tell Winfield and Pax Lair how to decorate their town, or that they should be open pvp. I let Pax Lair decide what happens in Pax Lair.

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Well I outlined my thoughts on this in the previous post.

You are asking for a flag which is available to all POT owners, or at least all PVP POT owners. So it isn't the rest of us vs Rats Nest, as you suggest here, but the rest of us disagreeing with an idea being implemented in general.

I disagree with it the idea in general but could accept it in specific cases: If you want it specific to Rats Nest then I'd be more willing to accept that if you pay a large fee for such a privilege.

10. Drocis the Devious

I've already paid a large fee. I think the devs would agree that it's not a matter of me paying for this, it's already been paid for. I think the question the devs will have to weigh is does this seem like a reasonable request for a PVP POT owner (I'm not concerned with other PVP POTs, it's up to them to make their own requests). From where I sit, it's a perfectly reasonable request and I would be surprised if the devs didn't grant it. However, I realize that their point of view may give more weight to things that I consider inconsequential, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You didn't pay over and above the cost of a town. I've already qualified that point 2 replies ago.

If you get a special privilege just for you, or anyone else that wants to mimic your actions, then you need to pay extra. That's what Blake did. Fundamentally, I still disagree with it but would be willing to accept it.

12. Drocis the Devious

Ok, well you're free to disagree with it. But how is this different than any other request a POT owner might make? If Blake is the only one that paid more, then how did we get to a point where POT owners were making requests in the first place? There's a submission form for a reason. Again, I don't see where this request is going to create extra dev work for them, so what's the basis to refuse it?

13. Womby

Womby Avatar

For what it's worth (which probably isn't much because I'm strictly PVE) I think BDF's request is reasonable and justified, and I am mystified why a few people who have no intention of visiting his POT are so concerned about it. Sure, there may be problems implementing it (Spoon's post was very informative in that regard), and in fact there may be simpler ways of achieving almost the same result. Nevertheless, BDF's concerns seem valid to me, and it is reasonable for him to describe them and suggest a solution.

I hope the devs address his concerns and are able to provide an elegant, generally applicable solution that POT owners can optionally employ.

14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Make the request to support. Not stopping that, but I still disagree with what you are asking for. Let me re-state what I've been saying:

The point on Blake, is that he can be expected to receive a more customised town given his additional investment. If you want something specific to you, and only you, then pay the premium as Blake did. I could accept that even if i I disagree in principle.

If you want this for all towns, or even just for PVP towns, then I completely disagree. As I've said numerous times. You can request it, but I will still disagree with it. I'm not asking you to pay for a premium while everyone else would get it for free.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Part of me hope Drocis gets what he asks for.........only because it will mean the PoT will fail and increase the PvP in other PvP pots.

I know it's unlikely i'l be spending any time there anyway.

16. Drocis the Devious

Earlier in this same thread you said this...

Sorry you changed your mind.

Well either way, everyone is welcome in Rats Nest. We make our own fate. We tell our own lies.

We don't need Oracles or Avatars to do that for us.

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Errrr you should read my posts maybe......and possibly quote in full:

In other words what I said was......it is a very bad idea, don't do it. It would be good if your PoT does succeed which it wont if you have all this implemented.

Anyway.....do what you wish, you paid for it. If you make a poor choice it benefits me anyway.

18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If you don't need Avatars, why are you trying to force them into OPO? o_O

19. Drocis the Devious

Ah, but I said I don't need avatars to do that for us. There's a difference!

And as I've said here in this thread and elsewhere, I'm prepared for the unlikely event that no one wishes to live in my POT. Ya know, my original plan for my POT was to be the only resident. Just me living in a dark tower all by myself. Then I thought about how wonderful it would be to have a large pvp only town, so I conjured up the story of Rats Nest and here we are.

My hope is that people that enjoy pvp and more specifically solo pvp, will find a home in Rats Nest that they have always wished for in other games and have been unable to find because of guilds that took everything over or game mechanics that dulled down pvp.

I'm very excited about the future.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Drocis, I am glad you bring up the role play aspect. Will you be having guild wars? I understand you are primarily talking about Rats nest when you talk about RP but will you venture out to other towns with RP and guild wars? I am looking for more RP oriented people to add to my friends list in this manor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.