New Star Trek TV show

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by enderandrew, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

When they call it a black hole yeah! :)

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I had trouble getting emotionally invested in any of the characters. Also, the stories seemed a little shallow and slow. This was my first season impressions. I don't know if it picked up in the later seasons because I stopped watching.

cartodude and Lord Andernut like this.
  3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The newest series meaning Enterprise?

Alexander likes this.
  4. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I. See. Four. Lights!

5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think I had trouble with some of the characters (shallow) first season but it either picked up or I just got more invested. It was definitely "better" by the last couple of seasons (from my recollection) where I remember thinking it might be cancelled after the first season but was surprised it got cancelled after the 5th.

Yes - Enterprise. I was blanking on the name haha.

Alexander and By Tor [MGT] like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I actually liked Enterprise well enough for the first two seasons. It was maybe lacking in some respects but they had some interesting ideas. I thought they ruined it after the second season with the whole plot arc. Whether it was the fact that the Xindi were a stupid concept, IMO, or the way the writers messed up Vulcans, or created a thin excuse to put T'Pol in a relationship with Tucker, or more focus on time travel. Also, I just liked the way the first two seasons returned to the episodic pacing of TOS and TNG, and didn't find the plot arc that interesting.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    cartodude likes this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Also funny was how they placed old Spock on a other planet from which he could see the destruction of Vulcan... probably lightyears away.

Alexander likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That planet couldn't have been light years away.. it was practically a moon it was so close.. and yet somehow remained untouched.

Alexander and cartodude like this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You are right. This was very strange. If it would have been a moon it would have been destroyed, too. But it had an atmosphere and gravitation like Earth...
    Also the beaming to another planet in Star Trek Into Darkness... Why does Starfleet need Starships when they could beam an army to the Klingon world and surprise them? Or beam some bombs there?

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Maybe the Klingon world has a transporter jamming signal, to prevent any unauthorized beamings?

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But Khan transported directly to the Klingon homeworld...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

ugh. it's been too long since I watched this movie. Sorry I don't remember.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That was probably the main thing about that movie I found funky. Khan apparently figured out how to do it but that's more advanced beaming tech than has EVER been in ST before.. anywhere. It's a bit of a stretch.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Picard was the worst of all the Captains. Janeway half a step above. Kirk and his crew where the original and best on all levels. Most everything after was dumbed down politically correct trash for the masses.

The Big Bang Theory is similar pseudo science buzzwords the masses accept for being scientific and intelligent. Real scientists, geeks, and nerds despise the show due to cheap stereotypes and stupidity. Check out Silicon Valley for the real deal.

The 60's series was entirely about morality, ethics, and analysis of current events. Written by some of the greatest in the world of science fiction. My second favorite is the reboot followed by Enterprise.

15. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

First, I am an avid fan of the Star Trek Franchise and Gene Roddenberry. I always carry with me a portable 1tb hard drive called my "Star Trek Drive which has half a terabyte of every Star Trek Show, Movie and Soundtrack and my Chromebook and headphones. I own many of the books as well just incase I'm bored

That said I like sci-fi in general. The reboot was a welcomed change in that it is still sci-fi and a good story. What is canon or non-canon is not really important to me, the story, characters and the journey for the characters are. Gene had me at "Space". For the initial reboot movie, there were points I did not care for and some I really loved. Especially when the Enterprise pops out and saves the day. I could watch that scene over and over. For the second, James Woods annoyed me and Khan was a welcomed change. I like that Spock is more of a force to be reckoned with and it all didn't rest on Kirk's shoulders like in TOS.

It is a foregone conclusion that JJ Abrams wanted to get 'Red Matter' into a movie and he did. I can't say it made it better or worse but the concept of Red Matter is interesting. Why the planets and not the Solar system? Well, if you intend to just destroy the Federation and not entire solar systems, the way they did it worked.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Conleth,

For me I have as many as I have found of the trailers and music soundtracks (MIDI converted to MP3 where possible) of Ultima and Shroud of the Avatar on my iPhone.

You never know when you need to be immersed and go back to Britannia / New Britannia!!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. selbie

selbie Avatar

So long as there are no pink salamanders or annoying Talaxians involved I'm going to relish watching new Star Trek again.

Jatvardur and By Tor [MGT] like this.
  18. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I heard the news yesterday about CBS coming out with a new Trek series. This is very long over due. With the recent wave of crowd funded trek movies/series that were/are being made (Axanar, Horizon, Renegades, etc) whether CBS finally realized that it's worth investing in a new Trek series.

By Tor [MGT] likes this.
  19. Nick Krowley

Nick Krowley Avatar

My only hope is they don't keep it in JJ's universe. Star Trek is more than just pew-pew-pew.

Jatvardur and Alexander like this.
  20. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Didn't really watch Enterprise, not a fan of prequels in general.

I don't watch it, but many phrases were genuine. One of the 'discoveries' Sheldon made in a short sketch was actual a known result from a few years ago (iirc). I can't verify all the quotations since I haven't seen it all. In fairness, StarTrek is more towards the fantastical. It is enjoyable and made to sound like science but we know it is more like magic.

enderandrew and mbomber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.