Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archery is held back by a lack of feathers as loot.

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Waxillium, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

just at the beginning solace bridge defenders, starting as archer.

2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You'll be happy to know you can now use your skills to kill mobs without arrows even. Only thing is - it eats up your focus a bit;) Works best with an unlocked deck for archer skills and a lot of running. For the poor, arrowless archers, that is. :p

Colgarra likes this.
  3. Colgarra

Colgarra Avatar

Then your experience is completely normal for a brand new Archer.

4. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

but you should be able to retrieve some arrows from the corpses really, they don't vanish into thin air!

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Some dinosaurs had feathers. We could add velociraptors to the game. They would also make great tamed pets. :rolleyes:

Vaentorian likes this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Yup. Typo.

7. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Hmmm May I ask what types of activities you are doing to get gold and resources? I am playing archer and I am not having trouble with money or resources. I have a few thousand arrows stocked up and enough resources to craft 5k more and I have 15k gold.

I would be happy to share some tips with you.

8. Lord_Toast

Lord_Toast Avatar

Several explanations for not being able to retrieve arrows from the skeletons. These are magically animated skeletons with some memory retention. So….

1) The skeleton could be deflecting some of the arrows with their rusty sword. This type of deflection ruins the arrow.

2) The skeleton could be deflecting the arrows with its hands or arms. This type of deflection ruins it too.

3) The necromantic magic not only animates but hardens its bones. When the arrow hits the bone the arrow tip is damaged, or the tip is driven into the shaft, or the shaft splinters.

4) The arrow flies through the ribcage which disrupts (damages) the magic holding the skeleton together. Thus it lost somewhere in the wilds or it got damaged when it bounced off a tree…etc...

Remember your gift from the Oracle is the basic knowledge on how to shoot the bow. You are not being imparted Olympian levels of skill but more than the common 21st century person.

Once you can I recommend picking up “Arrow Scavenger” skill as soon as possible.

Vaentorian likes this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I don't recommend this for a few reasons. Eventually you can make arrows or even buy them and it wont slow you down much unless your goal is to get "rich".

I also get the sense that the first few skills you choose have a faster upward skill gain at lower adventurer levels (no proof). By the time I'd unlock this skill I'd rather be working on stat or armor skills.

Just my experience. Not being negatively argumentative.

10. helm

helm Avatar

Kwow, I agree that ammo scavenger is not that useful, but if one wants to be an archer, I'd still recommend turning it on as soon as possible, if only because it is needed to unlock much more important skills, first improving attack skill, then range and finally damage. I had it turned off (or in "maintain" mode) at level 16, would have done it already at 10 but I forgot :p

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  11. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

To get on realistic side, there is a issue with Archer's Paradox that affect usability of the arrow.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox

Long story short: The arrows needs to be tuned to oscillate at specific frequency in order to avoid hitting the bow (the bow blocks the path of the arrow), and the right frequency depends on the bow and the shooter.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  12. helm

helm Avatar

Gee I'd want that arrow measurement device to be craftable...the ordinary arrows could then be "bulk arrows", one crafts "tuned arrows" with better accuracy so that one puts the tuning device and 100 arrows on the crafting table and you get 20-25 tuned arrows in return..

John Markus likes this.
  13. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

My impression is that archery is no more disadvantaged than the other combat skills, in terms of being to obtain the materials/items one needs to use it successfully, which is difficult at the start regardless of which path you're on but gets easier.

Archery should definitely have more guidance right at the start, perhaps from Edward. It's not intuitive that you can continue firing (with penalties) even if you appear to have no arrows. Maybe this is explained in R23, I'm currently a mage so thinking back to how unsure I was in R22.

Anyway, I had some help from melee to begin with (free sword!) but soon enough was able to comfortably keep myself stocked with crafted arrows as well as paying to unlock skills. This is another thing that should be made clear right at the start, there's an alternative to buying from NPC shops or looting.

Harvested feathers would be a good addition, preferably on wild animals so you can't just slaughter chickens in town for easy free resources. But it's not so important that I'd want to get them from rabbits :p unless the rabbit model is changed to add wings!

14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I do not think I would mind the feathers so much if they were to apply to some of the specialty arrows. Plain old arrows though that we use in Charged/Auto? Think we are about the only class that needs to go kill a burning bird to harvest something for a basic skill use.:rolleyes: At least if they were available from chickens/rabbits they'd be more on par with mage reagents - most of which are available without having to go slay a dragon, for example?:D

15. Retro

Retro Avatar

Ummm in addition to birds never dropping feathers, why do archers NEVER drop arrows?

16. helm

helm Avatar

They do, at least the living ones. Elven archers at least used to drop these pretty often (have not yet had contact with them this release), and for example the bandit archers in South Brightbone Woods do so occasionally.

17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Highvale archers do. Undead archers do not.

Lets get those feathers on birds in game.

Many small animals have been recently added so adding a small animal must not be a huge burden.

Lots of pets including pigs and horses in Highvale.

#freethefeathers
    #freethebirds

Retro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.