Looting your own corpse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

The other day I died in a pvp battle and instead of me running back to my corpse I ran to where I died and their was an ugly looking statue thing in place of where my body should have been, what is up with that why not just leave a corpse as the place holder for looting. In my opinion the corpse is a better and more realistic option for corpse runs.

also i think it would be better if all your loot was left where you died and you have to retrieve all you gear at your place of death. it would make for better risk vs reward. there needs to be a penalty for death in both pve and pvp.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

For PvP that's fine, but I don't want it... I never PvP and I don't want a set time limit to retrieve my stuff... The planned "ransom" system is fine for PvP, but full loot is an old concept and out dated...

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The way death works in this world is that your spirit is pulled to a place in the scene where the physical world is strongly bonded to the spirit world. The magic draws your body to your spirit. So, it would not make sense to rejoin your body, and then go find another copy of your body where you died.

It was decided that what killed you the first time is likely to kill you again, so most of the time you'd lose your stuff. This would cause people to not use their best gear. It would not be fun, and one of the measuring sticks the devs use is the is-it-fun test. This is why your body comes to you, rather than your ghost having to return to the body. Perhaps there's an argument to do this for PvP, but then they'd have to have different death mechanisms for PvE and PvP.

Duke Gréagóir, Womby, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  4. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

It's not full loot just you have to retrieve your gear but not loot able to other players only you

Skyo likes this.
  5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I agree with the OP you should have to risk getting back for your stuff on a timer, or it ends up just like any other casual MMO. In UO even the Mob's in PVE took a little of what you carried usually your reagents, which made you be more careful about dying.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Derium likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

That type of system isn't "fun", most of the time the mod or Pk is still there and it's impossible to retrieve your stuff... So, if it was like WoW, your body would be there for 2 wks and you could loot it from a distance, now that was "fun"...

Elwyn, Forest Dweller and RevK2 like this.
  7. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

In UO PVE other Players would help you retrieve your stuff, that was the social part of the game, unlike modern casual MMO's were running round and dancing on tables in your underwear passes for a social activity or RP event.

8. Sir Frank

But this game is supposed to have a solo mode, so you would not have other players to help you.
    I am also not a fan of people standing around in their underwear emoting while chatting about real life.
    If I'm playing a game, I want to be making progress. If I want to sit around in a bar and chat, I'll go to a real bar.

Aldo, Womby, amaasing and 2 others like this.
  9. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Someone please explane the risk vs reward to both pvp and pvp if we automatically get all are stuff back with out trying.

To be honest this is a bad influence on the younger crowd because it teaches them to go places without risk at all and the instant gradification of getting your stuff back so easily, instead of being Careful about where they travel and what they are doing because they may have to work to get back the stuff they lost.

10. Fear

Fear Avatar

So, we should do it for the children? I thought I was disconnected from reality. I stand corrected.

Womby, amaasing and Sir Frank like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry first you have an issue with some kind of Alter instead of your body, OK I could agree with that. Except that is also the marker there for your victor to look to take the items from your corpse or chose to leave them there for you.

Stay away from making this another PvP ; loot / full loot thread.

12. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

The Victor could still loot a random item from your corpse no need for an unrealistic alter that comes from nowhere.

13. Robby

Robby Avatar

Self looting got pretty old for me back in the UO days. I think it was awfully boring and annoying waste of time. So if we are talking either PvP or PvE either zap all the stuff the person who resurrects back on to them, or just turn it all over to the spawn or player who slayed the individual. Avoid all the lost gameplay trying to log in to other characters or accounts or texting a friend to help loot your body.

Womby and Vaentorian like this.
  14. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

It doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. Instant gradification is not always a good thing sometime people need to feel a sense of accomplishment from performing a difficult task.

15. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Someone please help me understand where is the risk vs reward with this system?

16. Sir Frank

In PvP, you risk losing an item to whoever killed you.
    In PvE, you lose nothing, gain nothing.

Womby likes this.
  17. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

What is the punishment/where does it hurt you to die in pve?

18. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

That's not risk in pve that's null,empty,meaningless,pointless,void,uneventful.boring.

19. Sir Frank

You're entitled to that opinion.
    For me, if I die I lose time, my gear gets damaged, and I have to consider if I need to find another way to continue my adventure. Hardly meaningless or boring.

20. Fear

Fear Avatar

It's not that I disagree with the sentiment, but throwing "for the children" in there was a bit of a stretch at best. People should feel a sense of accomplishment, but do you really feel accomplished after you die in a game, or do you just want to get back in the action? Are you really concerned with how you accomplish that task of getting back to playing? Or, do you just want to forget about that part and go kill whatever killed you? Personally, I have played games like UO and EverQuest, and I never thought I was enjoying myself coming back to an empty corpse, or having to track it down before I could start playing again.

Womby, Heradite and Sir Frank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.