POT draw

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

It's the concept of POT's I'm against and the constant wanting by some owners to make them more than what they are.
    Guild Castles Towns was a stretch goal, and for guilds they are a great place for them to have a place of their own.
    POT owners should just concentrate on recruiting Guild members for their towns and stop trying to make them an essential for everyone else.
    I would like the POTS to be turned off on the map, and maybe Portalarium introduce POT list similar to friends were if you want to see certain one on the map you can by adding it to your list.

Derium likes this.
  2. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Who would want to read through 230+ flyers every day, I get enough junk mail at home.

3. Derium

Derium Avatar

Ohhh, I love the idea of POT lists. That's actually brilliant!

4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This might be the best reason I've seen for random people to choose to enter I've seen yet.

Any active blessing a POT can provide, should have a visual effect on the overland map, so as we walk around the map, we can tell just walking by which towns will provide which blessings. That would be a huge draw if any of these blessings can be obtained simply by a short visit to the town center.

If the blessing/temporary buffs to our character are the draw into a POT, then everything else (bulletin boards, RP, vendors, etc.) can be easily discovered within the POT the player chooses to enter for that blessing.

This is a good draw to me, because I believe the blessings could be a short-term buff that just lasts during my current play session. So each time I sit down to play the game, the first thing I'll think of is, 'hmm which city should I visit to prepare for my adventure?' -And I'll be thinking about blessings/buffs to choose between to help me decide which one to visit for my basic needs.

Vaentorian, Aldo, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Miracle Dragon,

I think taverns should also be a big draw for anyone to go into a town, whether a POT or an NPC town. To get food and drink (with benefits according to the nutrition system), and listen to music (which can maybe have a buff). Inns maybe too, if they ever exist. I've seen a lot of really nice outdoor tavern areas built by players. Wody had a nice tavern, and there's been one in Port Phoenix by the docks with a theater stage. I think there will be a lot of nice public areas, with things that will be of more use than dancing in underwear or playing gustball (@wagram).

I agree with some of the complaint about map sprawl, though I'd rather the map just be larger. I think the suggestion of ignoring POTs is not any better than the suggestion of ignoring lots where you don't like the decoration. We don't want to be steering towards a game where everybody is playing in a different version of the same world, where a town exists in some person's world but not another's. Just my view: I think its a bad idea.

Besides, even before the idea for POTs, they were putting in PRTs (player run towns), to fill the need for player housing. People complained that there weren't enough lots for everyone. And I think something most people want is for there to be some lot availability. So I believe the map would have sprawl on it even if POTs didn't exist.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. Miracle Dragon

Yes, PoTs should be viewed as simply a better alternative to all the PRTs we were going to get otherwise. Such an improvement.

7. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I hope the devs give PoT owners more tools for player-created content. I plan to create quests for my own towns and I'd love to see what others in the community can come up with for theirs.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The biggest problem I've had with the few times I've gone into PoTs is that they're so stupid big. Usually any buildings are a five-minute walk away from the entrance, then another five minute walk to get out, assuming you don't get lost. I think I read somewhere that this is because they don't have a lot of templates yet, so most of them are using the same enormous template, but smaller PoTs may later get access to smaller templates.

The second biggest problem is that they're usually empty, and many don't even have lot markers placed. And the ones that do usually have them all restricted. But you have to walk around for five or ten minutes to find this out. All this is mostly because we're still far from release, and they probably have to be rebuilt every full wipe anyhow.

And I guess the third problem is when they're way across the continent. At least for E1, that could be a long way to go to reach the interesting places. Even with /zone to go home, it can still be a long walk to get anywhere.

9. Miracle Dragon

The lunar rifts and boats should help with the distances. Also, once official launch comes, PoTs will finally be able to establish themselves and grow, becoming sprawling community centers over time.

10. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

How are POTs going to grow? The lot count is static right? Not being a jerk, but just wondering what you meant by that comment.

11. Miracle Dragon

Many PoTs are planning to upgrade over time.. Also, all the lots won't be filled right at launch, which means over time, more people will move into them.. And then there's PaxLair's plan to RP as a new pioneer colony during the first episode.. It will RP as a new, just-established town, and build into a metropolis visually overtime in-game. Many others will probably feel empty at first too, but once everyone has settled and built up their characters, a more decorated and established feeling town with a booming economic trade system will emerge. So growth many different senses of the word.

Vaentorian, Solazur and mikeaw1101 like this.
  12. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

Instead of trying to think of why someone would enter a pot, how about think of why they would not? If you are out somewhere and need to unload loot or restock of course you're going to the nearest town you have access to, player owned or not. That's the entire function of any town or city regardless of ownership.

I don't really get what this debate is about at all. Geographical necessity, there's your reason lol.

Fister Magee and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Plenty of people in ours, have trouble keeping them off the lawn. It is people that bring in other people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.