Looting your own corpse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

In single-player if you lose, you just load up an old save game and go from there. If you save constantly like I do, you don't even repeat a lot of content. There is thus no "real" risk as you don't lose anything in-game. And yet you know what? I don't hear this risk BS from single-player gamers. I don't see people going to Obsidian and being like "where is the risk in Pillars of Eternity!?"

I always wonder why the MMO players are so much about the risk. Sure you don't get the game over screens but right now SOTA forces you to either wait out the ghost timer or find an Ankh. But guess what? If a skeleton easily kills me, I don't go and face them again and again. Sure I don't risk anything but guess what? I don't like dying. I don't like losing even if nothing is at risk. Since there is a story, you'll have a reason to win. But even if you don't have a reason, do you really need to introduce this concept of risk? Do people just carelessly throw themselves at dragons? Maybe the first time they face the dragon but over and over again?

If I see low-level people go into a high-level map, I see them try to outrun the danger rather than try to face it because they don't want to die.

I think risk or not, people are going play carefully. And people will feel accomplished if they beat that dragon because it was hard even if they risked nothing. And if they don't feel that sense of accomplishment? It's because the dragon was too easy not because there wasn't any risk. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, I risked nothing as I fought dragon (because I could always load a save right before). And yet when I killed a dragon? I felt that sense of accomplishment. That dragon was dead, my party killed it, and I got to then celebrate with Iron Bull.

So, no, I don't want to waste my time doing corpse runs. Because it's not adding risk for me. It's punishing me for playing the game.

Womby, Elwyn, Vaentorian and 2 others like this.
  2. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

wrong its punishing you for dying not playing the game.

3. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

No you are being punished for playing. Because with playing comes winning and losing. I don't need to be punished for losing. I play games to have fun and in order to properly play the game I need to be able to lose. Trying to add risk to "losing" thus diminishes the ability to properly play the game. There should be nothing wrong with facing a creature and dying. But by punishing dying, you are telling people it's not okay to lose in a game. Guess what? I don't want to lose. I don't want to die. But I don't want to be punished for dying. I want to be able to go back in the game and figure out how to advance so I can eventually win-in losing, I suffered a setback. I don't need an additional setback (like a corpse run) that I won't find to be fun, that is tedious, and will only discourage me from trying to win in the online modes.

Duke Gréagóir, Womby and Elwyn like this.
  4. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

so... you would like this to be a reward vs reward game?

5. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

choises and actions have consequence

6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

WOW. . .LOL

Derium likes this.
  7. Derium

Derium Avatar

Honestly, when I first played this game I was being tactical and planning my moves to get around creatures that would kill me.

However, once I did die and learned I got to keep all of my stuff, I simply brute forced myself and just kept running forward and dying until I made it past the creatures. Yes I got to where I wanted to go faster, but it became brainless and took out all of the thrill.

I think death should drop some items. Even if it's your gold and equipped weapons/armor.

Brink1123 likes this.
  8. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I don't see a game as "reward vs risk" or "reward vs reward" terms. I see a game as to what is fun and trying to figure out how to beat it. That has to involve trial and error. The error part is losing. You can't try different strategies to beating a boss if you every time you lose, you were punished. If it's not okay to lose, you are telling the player it's not okay to try to figure out how to win. It's not okay to try different strategies.

"Risk vs reward" has nothing to do with choices and consequences.

If you disagree with me, that's fine but you know what? Single-player games are okay with you losing. I play KOTOR and if I die, I can just try again. I'm allowed to lose in KOTOR and I don't get punished for it beyond not being allowed to advance. Same with other RPGs I play. It's only MMOs that feel the need to add penalties to dying. Why? I still wasn't able to advance. I still need to try again.

Womby and Elwyn like this.
  9. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

Honestly since there really is no death penalty, Just remove death as an option, we all just keep fighting until we get our pixel crack. Maybe even make death give you health so you dont have to take potions, because its not fair to have to waste my time healing when I need that time to kill another skeleton. All these old school game concepts are soooo outdated like death, healing, questing, walking from mob to mob, clicking my mouse, looking at the screen. These are challenges I shouldnt have to do, Im a busy man with no time to waste on some old school ultima style rpg. Clicker games are the real future, give me what I want and give it now!

*Goes back to staring at iphone for hours/ :confused:

wagram likes this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

There are two types of player: those who play for an adrenaline rush (full loot PVP players, for example), and those who play for story or other reasons.

Those who seek an adrenaline rush want the game to contain lots of risk and punishment. For them the possibility of suffering dire consequences enhances the game.

Those who simply wish to follow a storyline, roleplay, etc. find punishment tedious and unnecessary, and for them it detracts from their ability to enjoy the game.

Neither group is wrong. They merely have different perspectives. Sadly, these two groups rarely understand each other.

Sir Frank, Heradite and Logain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.