Naga symbol at the tower of the shuttered eye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flientje Vantmeeden, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Here's to the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave! Now....so what if it's snaky and sort of resembles Richard's serpent -- (because it's serpenty??); it's still a company logo. It's a company logo. It's like seeing a Ford symbol or the Apple logo.

I'll buy Razer because I dig the Razer products, not because I see Razer advertised in our game.

Time Lord and GimmeUOPlz like this.
  2. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

I also think we should not call people who disagree with something about the game "whiners" or "complainers" or "ranters." Personally, I'd like to see this forum be more democratic, as in democracy. Perhaps, less sycophantic.

Time Lord, Mordecai, Bubonic and 9 others like this.
  3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You've never seen the British parliament in action have you? It makes the people on these forums seem tame when they disagree. 8^)

Although I agree 100%. I wish people treated each other with more respect and actually tried to engage a proper dialogue without being dismissive of the people. People are not the sum of their ideas or positions, they are humans (hopefully) with feelings and should be treated as such.

I finally managed to get to the tower and was expecting a massive amount of everywhere plastering of the symbol. Its actually a lot more "tastefully" done in my opinion. And if I hadn't read this I probably wouldn't have even registered it was a logo (I don't use Razer so that symbol has little to no connection to me). I would agree that altering the color or aging the banners to make it fit the scene better would be a nice touch, but I don't really see the huge frustration this is for people (again, probably because I don't see that logo every time I sit at my computer and it holds no association to me).

Please don't think I'm belittling opinions, I'm not. I just don't see the importance of it and that is nothing more than my opinion now that I've seen the scene.

Acred, Time Lord, Mata and 4 others like this.
  4. Gomi

Gomi Avatar

Wasn't there supposed to be a Death Adder cloak with the logo on it?

5. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, this was added back in Release 18, which was created in time for E3 2015, when Portalarium was at Razer's booth. They also issued a press release that also mentions the cloak.

No idea if it's still in the game anywhere, but here's a pic, taken from Update #129.

[​IMG]

Acred, Time Lord, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

E-Democracys have the bad habit of going down in flames.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Seriously! the BMC coffee shop has red cups!

8. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

Ugh. Razer naga capes too. Sad day.

I hope it was just a r18 thing but I'm sure it's not... so I guess it won't just be when we walk into areas where that cult is, I guess the logo is going to be worn by people. I can't believe they think this is a good idea...

I guess I'll just be here to say "I told you so" after release when the backlash happens since the majority seem to feel this is ok. Can't believe it, just simply can't believe it. Surely this is all a terrible dream.

Part of me hopes other top level backers ask to get their business logos into the game. For one thing if one person can do it why not any other, and for another I'm serious how far they'd actually let this go... perhaps companies can actually start donating large sums of money even at this late stage to get their logos "tastefully" put into the game. Would raise money to make the game better right?

Ugh

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I think that I might not have been clear enough if you interpret that post like this.

The opening poster asked specifically for an explanation why this is in the game.
    So I did what I normally do in these forums, I answered that question.

Then since I don't have any strong opinion about the logo topic I stepped out of it.

The ranting part was added since I think that the OP brought in a valid topic and explaining the reasoning for their discontent, while UOplz was obviously just ranting away at other stuff like addon store and crowd funding starting the descent of a topic that could have yielded a good discussion.
    This was then later affirmed when UOplz continued the rant with things that can easily be shown as false.

For the record I think that Katrina was also out of line bringing in yet more stuff also completely needlessly.

So I think this is a lost topic that could have been much more productive.

10. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

And yet here you are, long after everyone has calmed down, still trying to bait people into starting the same old "rants" that you disagree with and feel derailed the thread.

Here's a brilliant idea, if this thread is such a waste of your time, and if you "don't have a strong opinion" about it, why don't you just stay out of it?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Is this where I request pitchforks, to wield with our torches so we can RP an angry mob in front of the Razer Tower of Power?

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Ironic how that in a way is the story behind it all.
    I found that the Death Adder cult, splinter of Obsidian resurgence, and it triple-agent leader, are a key part in the Ardoris story, and you're expected to deal with him/them with extreme violence, once you discover the truth behind their machinations and the real effects on the City of Eternal Dawn.

They even yield no less than FOUR Steam achievements for the line ("A Writ Of Betrayal", "A Ring Of Betrayal", "The Minister of Vipers" and "The Viper's Strike").

In a way, Razer and his CEO are the bad guys in the first part of the Path of Love.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. Logain

Logain Avatar

[QUOTE="GimmeUOPlz, post: 456487, member: 35003"If the ceo of FedEx was a Baron level backer could he make a fictional parcel service and use FedEx branding?[/QUOTE]
    I know you meant this as an example of how bad it could be, but amusingly enough, I'd ~LOVE~ this! Not exactly the way you mentioned it, but the concept would be something I'd consider totally cool. First off, FedEx seems to have no 'symbolic' logo like Razer does, so I'm going to use 'Deutsche Post' in my example instead, since they have a non letter logo (horn with 4 lines below it).
    ~IF~ a CEO of the 'Deutsche Post' decided to donate quite some money AND employee time AND Portalarium would be enabled to allow us to create custom drawn shop signs in-game (similar to the CoA we're getting, but for shop signs and editable in-game) AND some of the 'Deutsche Post' employees would be allowed to run an often requested (can't find the threads right now, but there have been plenty of 'I want a parcel/mail service in game' threads and most people concurred that this should be player driven instead) parcel service in game, heck I wouldn't mind at ALL to see the 'horn' symbol on their shops in a couple of towns!
    Now don't get me wrong. I appreciate your concern! But IMHO the symbol hasn't crossed a line as long as it makes believable sense in the setting, which it certainly does.

Acred, Time Lord, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Because if someone address you directly and ask you a question then the polite thing is to answer them? It's kinda my thing around here. Like I'm responding to you now.

Now I did not state that it was a waste of my time. Judging by my post count such a statement would be quite hypocritical, don't you think?

I don't have a strong opinion about the naga logo since I see it as a derivative of other recognizable icons in the spiritual ultima legacy. I do have strong opinions about a lot of other things though. But for this one I can see both sides.
    There are going to be some folks who will dislike seeing something like that in the game, while for others it will be a really cool easter egg when they walk down the path of love.

So I'd say that they should look at the suggestion above and consider toning down the bright green and make that a more moss green. For those who dislike the logo it wouldn't be as much in-the-face, and for those that like it the easter egg will be even more fun since it's harder to spot.
    But for me, I don't have a strong opinion, so for me they can keep it, change it or remove it. Doesn't matter that much.

Acred, Time Lord, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  15. Miracle Dragon

Nah.. FedEx doesn't have a good logo for NewBritannia..
    They have their name, and this:
    [​IMG]
    Which looks more like 3 pairs of pants.. but could be seen as a joining of the 3 principals? (truth, love and courage)?

Nah, for a messenger company, I'd rather see something like this:
    [​IMG]
    FTD (Financial Times Deutchland)

Time Lord and Bubonic like this.
  16. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

See I think all of those possibilities cross a line, and the line for me is it being an actual company logo. I'd much rather keep that sort of thing out of sota since we're already bombarded with advertising in our every day lives. There's a time and a place for advertising, and imo an indy video game should be off limits.

Predicting backlash about this after release. We shall see. I really hope that at the very least the naga logo will be it and we won't see any more.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

That's actually the logo for FTD Flowers. ;)

18. Mata

Mata Avatar

yes, fleurop...
    and flowers are beautiful. ;)
    [​IMG]

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  19. Miracle Dragon

@Bubonic: Yeah, I know. I always loved that symbol. Hermes and/or his winged boots have been iconic for thousands of years.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Come to think of it, maybe ups would consider funding the llamas and donkeys as they're in a similar business?

I wouldn't mind having my llamas and donkeys a bit faster due to corporate sponsorship.:) Heck, they can even put their logo on my saddlebags.

Time Lord, Miracle Dragon and Logain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.