Combat For Lazy Avatars

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Leelu, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I understand that the combat system is by the deck system, but could it be possible to have a quick and easy preset for combat for those of us who just like to click and go. I know its lazy . I am one of those who suck at battle and always seek the easiest way not to fight. I never will understand the dynamics of any fighting system, have tried and played many games, but alas, just have never acquired the knack for it . So, just asking if this would be anyway a viable possibility for those of us who are kaboodled when it comes to fighting and setting up a fighting strategy?

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Avatar

In the days of Old Britannia, melee combat and archery were largely considered to be the quick and easy roads to battle. Although I feel that SotA's combat is already pretty easy to navigate, perhaps you could simplify it further by stream-lining your deck with many duplicate skills, or by locking a couple of skills that you can repeatedly use?

Leelu likes this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I sympathize with you, since I'm not a good fighter. Heck, I even have problems navigating my avatar across bridges and through open doors :oops:

My latest strategy is to call an elemental to divert attention from me and use the root spell to get the mobs to stand still. This spell is sure to be nerfed soon, though. Fighting in a group is easier than fighting alone, too. Feel free to give me a whisper in-game if you are looking for company. :)

4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Yea! Dev /kill commands for players please. You know, for testing.

5. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Yea, you can add me too and we could run around in a small group. I'm also running various pets (animals, elementals - probably only elementals in group till animal pets are viable)

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeah it is called Auto Attack - Hit "t" and just stay close enough and face the right way so you can hit the target. I am sorry but this is not just lazy but weak. BUT they seem to want to leave it quit powerful so you already have you "lazy" attack :)

Leelu likes this.
  7. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I'd love to see global cooldowns reduced by .5 or 1 second across the board just to see what it looks like.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  8. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I think they could make a more lazy auto attack option: when you are reasonably close to a creature, press a hotkey that will auto target the creature, move you to close enough to the creature to engage in hand-to-hand combat, turn your avatar to face the creature, and then attack the creature with your equipped weapon. And if the creature moves, your avatar will follow the creature and continue to face the creature, so your weapon strikes will not stop.

well, okay, so this system would be ultra-super-lazy. Hit one key and your avatar essentially becomes a guided missile that follows and attacks the target until its destroyed.

I probably would not use the option described above, but I would like an option to keep the avatar facing the target automatically during combat.
    The target moves a little, and my avatar just stands there getting whacked in the head.

With regard to deck building: It may be interesting to be able to save and load decks. Portalarium can create a few "starter" decks for new players. Also, players can trade decks. I guess someone (who is very adept at deck strategy) could design a deck that maximizes combos and damage, while being very efficient with regard to minimal mouse manipulation during combat. Could even sell these decks in game...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

A Hot key to just face your target would be nice

10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I'd be happy if it was just easier to tell which mob IS my target :(

11. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I meant at the beginning , when you first started out is all, you could go back later and improve your deck from there. Just at the beginning it is so hectic to have to run here and there. I know most like a challenge and are all ready for some serious combat, just at the start gonna be a lot for avatars to process , especially those that haven't played the alpha or beta later. Sorry for not being clearer about my suggestion. :rolleyes:

12. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

This too. Some sort of highlighting shade for selected target, or a easily visible ring around the base would be ideal.

13. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Slots 1 - 4 open slots most likely to have attack skills show up here. Might assign if I have combos to 1 and 4. Probably only one.
    Slot 5 - special magics that does not combo with anything else or magic that might combo with slot 1 (assigned slot). If it glows, throw it with slot 1.
    Slot 6 - possible healing skills pop up randomly (assigned slot)
    Slot 7 - defensive skills might pop up (assigned slot)
    Slot 8 - possible healing skills, cure pop up randomly (assigned slot)
    Slot 9 - night vision or light spell
    Slot 0 - possible healing skill, greater healing (assigned slot)

If 6/8/0 light up, I most likely can throw a heal combo. If it doesn't, smaller heals will be available.
    If 1324 lights up, looks to combo with anything in 1234. If it doesn't light up, throw at random or wait if I know a combo might come up.
    If 5 comes up, throw it out. If it lights up, throw it with 1.
    If 7 comes up, throw it out.
    If 9 comes up, throw it out - if I need it.

Am a total nub, so I do not suggest this is the ideal layout or that it will work for what you do. :p Mostly aimed at my melee stuff - with range or close range.

Ice Queen, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

There is a slider in game options for highlight strength. You can increase the highlight color on target mobs with this slider.

15. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

I checked this when I logged on, and to my surprise I already had the bar maxed :( It really isnt as noticeable as it should be IMO.

Ice Queen, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Some of the selections in the game options do not work correctly. Try sliding it down. Then close the gump. Re-open again and slide up. This may reset it for your game. You may have to do this every time you log on because the default takes effect regardless of your choice sometimes when logging in. The footsteps choice works this way. No matter if you have steps selected or not, they always play until reset at game time. I am not sure it will work with the highlight slider for you, because at max for me the target is bright red. I do not have to reset it.

17. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

I know how you feel. I had taken 3 months off from this game to get away from a fixed deck I no longer liked and dissatisfaction with the random deck. I tested 2 other games and came back to SOTA this month. I started with my favorites of sword and bow with flame fist and gust. It is embarrassing to say, but I started out only killing deer, rabbits and chickens. Ranged bow is great on animals, even wolves and bears in the easy scenes because they won't move until you hit them or get to close to them. But when you use a bow, do not use auto attack by double-clicking because you will run out of arrows. Select T and then select Aimed Shot from your combat deck. It is a grind, but once you level up, you will actually look forward to killing something. Also set a new card in your deck, like Aimed Shot, as locked to guarantee that it will be available. After you level up you will get another card to add to your deck. Add that additional card to your deck in a random slot with other cards. Then when you are ready to shoot an arrow, you could get lucky and stack the two identical cards for an even more powerful shot. When you have all five cards for a skill, you can set them all to random and have a blast. Then you will want moving targets to kill.

It is also important that you get a second tier Root or Stun spell in your deck. When you level this up, your targets will stand still for you while you have fun killing them. They are under the Earth and Air tree. I want to electrocute my targets so I am in the Air tree, which means I started with Gust and now use Stun. It works like a charm. You will love those two spells!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.