Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Inactive, Claim expires in POT's

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Abydos, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Like me, I know several people who play and stop playing for more than two weeks. It's really unpleasant to come back and have lost our lots, decorations ...

Since we are in Pre Alpha, I suggest removing the inactive time for lots in POT's.
    In fact, I think it should not even have that option in player cities. We have governors to manage POT's.

I hope this adjustment will be done quickly.

Thank You !

-Abydos

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd like to see a more robust system of governance in POTs to be sure. I believe the problem is that deeds are either tax free or not tax free. So we can't remove the inactive timer in POTs. What we could do however is change the pledge rewards to be as they should, this would give people a longer period of time so long as they have paid up their rent (if it applies).

3. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

You are right. House decay in POTs should be handled differently than in NPC towns.

A suggestion can be:

- Allow POT Owners to turn on/off "decay" for their towns.

-- if turned OFF, no lots decay in the POT.

-- if turned ON, have some selections:
    -- Decay for open lots only (not restricted to a person or residents)
    -- Decay for open and restricted lots for residents (but not for specifically named people in lot claim restriction)
    -- Decay for open and all restricted lots (which is how it is now)

The above leverages existing settings/permissions for lot placement, so maybe a toggle can be added for On/Off for Decay in each of those settings too.

4. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

It is my opinion that POT lot decay should be set by the owner/governor. I still think the 2 week decay in npc towns is ok, because there is high demand for that lot space, being higher traffic areas, for shops/vendors/etc. As long as there is an alternative method of management for the guilds/families who know that their tenants will be back in 17 days instead of 14......

5. Drocis the Devious

@Winfield

This is a nice thought, however the problem that would not be addressed is what happens to taxable deeds? The reason this system exists is so new people can always have the expectation that housing will be available "somewhere" in the game over a period of time. This cycle (even in POTs) is necessary to ensure that non-active players do not gobble up all the housing at the expense of new and active players.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

HOG mode FTW +1 (granted reasonable limitations of course) really how bad would it be if you can't pay your taxes and the house you've worked 100 hours to decorate just goes poof, its all screenshots now better luck next time :p

7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

+1

8. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Oh indeed... taxable lots would have priority for decay (cannot be overridden by POT owner). Good point.

EDIT: In fact, this discussion is just for pre-Alpha where time constraints are not set for taxable and rent-free deeds (according to pledge levels) yet. In EP1, decay is based solely on that, not where you live.

9. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

...except some of us don't accept unknown players in our towns, and lock lots/permissions accordingly. Blackbear Cove grows slowly for exactly this reason. And that's why I also agree that decay rates in PoTs should be set by the governor of that town. I know who's there and which deeds are tax-free. I run a planned community. Housing "fold ups" are a real faff for those with demanding day jobs or young children. There just aren't enough hours in the day, which is why we pledged for tax-free deeds in the first place!

10. Drocis the Devious

As already stated, if you have a tax-free deed your time to be active is going to be considerably longer than 2 weeks.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

Yes, but that isn't the topic at hand. Per my post, lot decay rates are, because not all of my residents will have tax-free deeds. I'm set. I paid a lot of money to be set. But it's dangerous to assume everyone else is in the same boat.

12. Drocis the Devious

I'm not assuming everyone is in the same boat. I'm assuming that the design of the game is to keep people with housing active (probably 1 month before they lose their lot at launch).

13. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

Although this discussion is (by necessity) about the pre-alpha housing situation, I have concerns about lot decay in PoTs as we move toward a full release. Not all of my residents are lucky enough to have tax-free deeds, but that doesn't mean I'll evict them if they lapse. All lot decay means is that they will have to keep pulling their house out of the bank and set it up again on their reserved lot. I don't see the wisdom in this. Some of us don't take random "walk-ins," so decay doesn't add to the worldwide housing pool in general. Low-usage lots also don't increase the game's server resource burden as much as high-usage ones.

Why not let the Governors set this value, or allow them to turn off decay altogether? PoTs aren't the same as NPC towns. We can already lock lots to specific players, so why not take things one step further?

14. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

Does it really increase activity and participation? If I lock lots to specific players, and refuse to evict them for the crime of life getting busy on them, don't they just have to cyclically pull their house from the bank over and over again, while I wind up with lots that are periodically empty for arbitrary reasons?

15. Drocis the Devious

That's a fair question.

To answer it, we have to first think about how housing was designed, and why it was designed that way in the first place. In UO, housing was limited and quickly became a source of great status and wealth. Originally housing didn't decay and so every square inch of available land had housing on it. The entire world of UO looked like Rats Nest. :) The other problem this caused was that it was very hard for new people to get housing because it was all gone.

So the devs in creating SOTA decided early on that housing would not only be limited, but that it would need to be claimed by active players on a continuous basis. This is not a difficult thing to do, you simply need to log into the game and click on your home or moving something around in it (and if you have a taxable lot make sure the taxes are paid up). The idea that performing this task once a month is too cumbersome seems a bit picky to me. But I do understand that life gets busy and this may be a problem from time to time.

One solution that might work (but I don't think it works this way right now) would be to have someone listed on your home as a curator (kindred) that can pay your taxes and click on your home to keep it from being lost. I could see this working especially well in small communities (like POTs), and it would also give the more active members of the game something to do that would be appreciated by the less active among us.

Elwyn likes this.
  16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, much longer
    [​IMG]

17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

The original 1 week, then 2 week decay were necessary during the early releases do to the limited amount of housing available at this time. Wipes during pre-alpha, alpha are a necessary evil.

Once we go live the folks have considerably longer to just log in ( you don't need to move anything unless your kindred/trustee to refresh).

That being said there really should be some kind of military or vacation check box or mode that prevents home decay for qualified folks.
    I know a number of details would need to be hashed out, but I think it worth the effort for those BACKERS that are affected by RL situations.

All IMHO of course.

Artair Geal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.