Why were forums titles removed ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

He just said we can't have nice things. That, is a nice thing!

Captain Jack would like to see a censored example of why they turned the feature off after allowing the community to gracefully trial it after they accidentally enabled it...

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I wanna be grand poobah

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Womby

Womby Avatar

If they had the time to implement it they could probably let us choose from a drop down list. They don't have the time.

Kytail and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Thank you for the reply and honest answer, @Lum!
    ^ This. I would very much like to display a title from my pledge on the forums, officially. I would much rather do that, than be forced to include it as part of my Forum Name. :(

Obviously not a priority for them, but I think it would be a cool selling point for pledges. *wink, wink*

5. smack

smack Avatar

I guess you could add it to your .sig as an alternate solution?

Kytail likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Photobomb ! XD

[​IMG]

Manerd and Kytail like this.
  7. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

I might do that, but I'm kinda waiting on two things before I create a fancy signature:
    1) I've commissioned an artist to design & draw an avatar/picture for this alias (no spoilers, sorry), and I'll probably incorporate that image.
    2) I'm waiting for my overworld POT to be renamed, so that I can call myself, "Duke Kytail of ______." (again, no spoilers).

And...
    OMGWTFBBQ?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

"High Tail"?

9. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Only when running.

10. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I knew it! Budner has also his fingers in Monkeys .....

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

But muuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!!???!!!1111

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So its your word against the word of an officer :p

Budner likes this.
  13. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

There is a way to make it happen again. First, the parameters to the solution:

1. This is a fantasy game and people want to live out their fantasy, which is supposed to always be better than what they have in reality.
    2. The majority of people cannot or do not want to buy things the way we are in order to achieve their fantasy dreams in a game. (I am not implying that you cannot also earn something in the game--you also are monetarily supporting the completion of the game.)
    3. People do not mind a person having more than they have if they can also have it someday by earning it (this is true in real life as well as a game).

Therefore, if SOTA makes it clear that any player can earn a title in this game, they will not mind. Apparently this has not been made clear to newer players. This probably causes them to send a personal email to SOTA that we never see. All issues such as this one should be made clear in a message from SOTA that has each issue numbered. The numbering is important because most people either do not like to read or are too busy to read a lot. This way when a player has an issue such as why a player has a title and they do not, you can tell them something like the following: See no. 3 [link to thread]. Then the player would not have to read the whole message.

I know that you are trying to have your fun, but you need to remember that your way is the minority way and most people won't mind as long as they have a chance to earn the same thing that they cannot afford to buy. This includes the title. As it is currently, this game will never appeal to more than about 150,000 people. If you appeal to the majority you will have a lot more. You actually make it very hard for SOTA to achieve a higher player count. They know what I know, but how do they get you to understand this?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I believe there is some confusion here. The current discussion is about forum titles, not in-game titles.

15. Selene

Selene Avatar

But we wouldn't mind having some schmancy forum titles, too. :D

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

No monkeys or just specifically fingers? Does that mean we should start questioning the whereabouts of your elbows?

Must admit though, I'm surprised THAT is the line you draw.

Budner likes this.
  17. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I miss being Chief Snarkitect... :oops:

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I didn't feel the slightest bit targetted by Lum's comment so thats why I haven't replied properly... thanks Lady Amethyst for taking the time to voice the real concerns, which are about communication and not really about "nice things" we cannot have.

I understand Lum is trying to free himself from trivial matters so he can focus on getting the story and lore forward, but this is part of it ; I'll say it again you cannot make such a game after people have been waiting so long for "a lord british game" and then try to limit their exploration through scary shadows on the wall... yes I'm going full on plato here.

Heck you guys even made an interview with Spoony Antwiller part of the kickstarter, he's the most entertaining yes but also the most snide critic of the Ultima series. The goal of every such artful game or story needs easter eggs and subtle humor that takes your mind off serious things once in a while, but thats not the means to the end of storytelling.

When I saw his videos and even the interview with Richard, I was like... what was the idea behind this : until they got to the point "talk about it in a good or bad way, you are talking about it" it was for publicity I'm not sure I beleive Richard is really a "fan" of spoony as he said ; its really a carefully crafted PR stunt.

Back to the point, you can't expect people with very intricate personalities that were built over 10 sometimes 20+ years of playing the ultima series to not affirm their character with bold incisiveness.

Aight I might be the only one crazy enough to say he's become the avatar of legend in the flesh after time travelling with the xorinite... but that only means I was the only one crazy enough to follow those strange beings. It dosen't mean I'm "special" or more than anyone. My intelligence is average, my coding abilities are average, my musicianship is average... I'm not better company than anyone in here I feel we are all equal. But I'm a lucky guy, I was lucky to take part in UO as a seer and programmer at my young age (I wasn't even supposed to be allowed to play). Sometimes luck leads you to other things than money, and I beleive this is my case, a case that should be studied by in and out game scholars before we even attempt to recreate the depth that was a once in a lifetime thing.

There is a veil to be kept between the devs and the players for sure, but you cannot tell people who've ran into the wall not to write their name on it, unless you are ready to judge them or to tear down the wall... truth is you are not ready to judge them, you have not understood all we went through, you do not know what we have become and the purpose we fulfill.

I'll stop there, because I beleive the rest is obvious and wasted saliva... err finger sweat.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    allegory of the cave? :p

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not to mention the republic :p

Concern over conflict of interest between public duty and private interest are topical in Canadian public life today, but they are hardly new to issues of governance. Plato, for example, in his ideal Republic of ancient Greece, recognized the need to ensure that private interests not conflict with the welfare of the whole Commonwealth. [The Republic, Book II, Ch. X] In his Republic, Plato called for a special group of governing Guardians, who had attained the self knowledge of good and evil to contemplate public duty and life. To ensure that those who would govern avoided conflicts of interest, Plato’s Guardians were not to be allowed either private property or families: “to free the Guardians from the temptation to prefer self interest to those of the whole community.” [The Republic, Book II, Ch. XVI] This public sector monasticism of The Republic may appear somewhat harsh as rules for undertaking public life today. Yet it highlights the level of concern public sector ethics and conflict of interest in governing has generated historically.

In Canadian terms, Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald’s solicitation of almost $400,000 in campaign funds from railway promoters for the 1872 Canadian General Election, and the subsequent awarding of the initial Pacific railway contract to these same promoters, produced Canada’s first major post-Confederation scandal. The ’Pacific Scandal’ of 1873 allowed political cartoonists of the day, such as John Bengough of The Mail, to bemoan that the Government seemed “to have lost all idea of justice, honour and integrity”. (Sept. 26, 1873) Macdonald’s conflict of interest also resulted in the resignation of Canada’s very first national Government. It was not to be the country’s last lesson in conflict of interest.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.