Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Awesome pet suggestions thread mk-I

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Dirk Hammerstrike, Dec 14, 2015.

?

Pet's should be able to:

1. Learn their name "naturally"

25.0%
  2. Gain xp and improved stats through usage

91.7%
  3. Have a recoverable and resurrect-able soul

41.7%
  4. Have a soul that can be used as an ingredient for crafted items

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

So yay, I was kinda taking a break from SotA after R18 until this release and I'm pretty happy with the new stuff. I finally started playing with a pet for combat and had some thoughts... some of which apply to both summoned pets as well as tamed. I saw the awesomeness possibility that is having a phoenix and worked toward one. We've been working together the last few days.

His name is Fawkes as you might have guessed being that I am un-original. Of course, he keeps forgetting his name and I have to remind him every time I summon him. By lvl 6 of summoning him it was starting to get annoying. Originally this was going to be a comment-complaint that pets like Fawkes can't remember their name. But then I realized a few things... One of which is that of course any new pet needs to learn their name. Wit that thought in mind, I kinda hope that we don't get to just name the pet... but that over time [hidden innate associated with the pet anyone?] my pet will eventually remember its name if I keep repeating it often enough to him.

I would also like to suggest that my pet gain xp and get stronger the same as I do. I don't know if they get stronger as you level the summoning ... but if they do I'd prefer it was due to actual interaction: time summoned, attacks, delta in health (showing they were actually fighting), or something else dynamic and not just a script of summoning over and over.

Third thing: when pets die I have read you can rez them. Thats nice. Unless you can't. I would really like to be able to pick up the dead pet or (for dramatic effect) their soul which can then be carried to someone/thing to resurrect them within some time limit (everyone who has seen Sword Art Online, can I get a show of hands?). Say a trip to the oracle first, then to some healer with some trials or tasks to be performed based on the pet type and/or level.

I really would be happy to see the soul route... with idea #4: the option of using the soul of a pet as an ingredient in a high level crafted weapon or clothing/armor. I'm not sure if this idea is bad@$$ or just creepy... sorry, please feel free to judge me.

last thing... would it be ever so possible for birds to ride on their owner's shoulder? I'm sure CaptainJackSparrow would agree that its just more... awesome that way.

2. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Using the soul to craft something? Sounds very obsidian.

Leelu likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Re: no.3,
    I'd still like both player health and pet health to have an injury system that would work sort of like how item durability works. When you'd die, or when a pet would die, injury would be added, meaning that max health would decrease. To get max health back up to its limit, you'd need a special healing potion or special healing spell. That way, pets could res with their owners, just both and them and their owners would have injury that would need to be treated.

Re: no.2,
    I'd like to see both NPC mobs and pets start to have skills which have Focus costs. Why does Focus only matter to avatars? Once they put that system in, they could also add a skill gain system for pets.

Re: no.4,
    Would be creepier if you could use avatar souls as ingredients.

4. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

I would like to see a Veterinary skill or 2, only applicable to animals/pets. Heals do more on animals/less on avatars, and only a vet can rez your pet. Also with durability, if your pet gets injured and loses durability (a la Redfishs' post), then maybe only a Vet could fully heal your pet to 100%

Leelu likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey Kvothe,

I went into that a bit further in a thread in General discussion, https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ers-of-new-britannia.42410/page-2#post-472576

I also think its fine to have Tamers rely on Alchemy & healing pots, since its a different XP pool from taming and healing potions are purchasable if they don't want to invest in those skills.

Leelu and Kvothe Kingkiller like this.
  6. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

Leelu likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Should work like healing pots work for avatars, shouldn't they? I don't know whether you're able to use a healing pot on a different player, but you should be able to.

As for resurrecting, my suggestion was that whatever stronger potion was used to treat injuries and restore max health (for both pets and avatars) would also revive someone that was fallen. It would also be more expensive. If you didn't want to use it, the pet would res when you did.

Leelu and Kvothe Kingkiller like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Or a Revive Potion and a potion to treat injuries can be separate things. Whatever they'd decide.

Pet would die permanently or need a resurrection spell when their max health reached 0.

9. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

I like that too. My only concern is, are health potions ranged?

10. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack certainly can get behind this.

It would be great if Pets could communicate with other pets too, in case Captain Jack runs out, Killer will need to find Captain Jack some new medicine.

[​IMG]

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.