How dyes work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@DarkStarr
    What happens if I buy black or white dyes and use those dyes on items I own. Can the dyed items be lost in the pvp ransom system? If yes, why? If no, why?

Personally I think the dyes should be renewable and unransomable since they're purchased in the add-on store. But I do have concerns about balance in pvp.

I think Browncoat Jasyon has a perfect solution that makes sense.
    I'm not looking for a debate here. I'm looking for an answer regarding the ransom system, and why we feel dyes should be the first item that is consumable in the add-on store?

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Right now you lose the item you dyed just like any other item. Will give longer answer about consumables when it isn't the night before a release and we've been working 15+ hours to get a build ready. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Whitestag, Ellrynn, Greyfox and 16 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Thank you.

I appreciate your patience and ability to take a deep breath and not give into the darkside of the force. (and chain lightning my forum account) :)

4. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack would love to understand what Dyes have to do with balancing PvP....

5. Drocis the Devious

I would love to tell Captain Jack Sparrow how it's a PVP concern.

Because if I were able to buy the dyes and use them to protect my items from being looted in PVP that would be bad. Darkstarr just confirmed that it doesn't work that way currently.

So now that we know that it doesn't work that way, the concern would not be PVP balance but instead that we have a consumable item in the add-on store that once you use it it's gone. There are no other items like that in pledges or the add-on store (other than the crystal swords - that can not be purchased without a pledge, making them very limited).

As someone that would like to purchase black and white dyes, I feel like I'm an example of their primary customer. However, I do not want to purchase something that 5 seconds later will not exist if I use it. That seems like a huge waste of money to me, even if the dyes are 100% exclusive to the add-on store. It seems like I'd be better off saving in-game gold and trading it with another player that is willing to shell out the real life bucks for a consumable item.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay :) Well, I made my position clear on the other thread, at any rate.

I didn't foresee this particular problem, no.... but, in general, I think there's a reason why you have to narrow down the criteria for the add-on store and think about the consequences of putting each item you do on there.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I believe to conform with the add on store items that the purchased dyes would not be lootable. but, after they are consumed on an item the item should not have the same standard and should be lootable. This is just my logic and sometimes its faulty at best. :)

8. CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack does think even if they were lootable the player needs to make the decision to carry that sort of thing with them or not when they are or are not flagged for PvP. The looting of consumable items is preventable through conscious decisions whether the items come from the store or not.

Don't worry about that, Captain Jack is quite positive there will be many and numerable things in the Add-on store before December 2016.

Captan Jack does wonder though, are the dyes which currently cannot be crafted in the game available right now for purchase on the store?

9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Just checked. Nope, not in store (or at least not listed yet, might be when release goes live later).

And completely agree about loot-ability of dyes. Add-on store stuff goes directly into bank. Short of having someone camp the bank in hopes of grabbing someone who just bought them, I don't see that as being a major risk item (would definitely suck to lose... but that's part of the fun if I understand the PvP loot mindset... fully acknowledge I'm a hopeless PvE/RP person).

Leelu, Ice Queen, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  10. CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack checked also, didn't see. Captain Jack would be a little more worried about that than the looting of these items, consumables should not be sold in the store before the game goes live, that is a very questionable decision!

Ice Queen, Moiseyev Trueden and Tahru like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

At least some things have not changed since I went on hiatus. The dev team does actually make good choices despite the banter most of the time. I was really scared for the the past few days that they caved to the the banter. It is not like I had any strong opinions, but nothing is worse than trying to appease the squeaky wheels, who are also awesome people in desperate need of a game to play.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is another thing that has not changed... Capt still thinks of himself in the third person. :)

13. Drocis the Devious

Just keep in perspective @Moiseyev Trueden and @CaptainJackSparrow

That no other add-on store item can be looted in PVP EVER. NEVER EVER. CAN'T happen by default. You can't loose a pledge item, a stretch goal item, or an add-on store item.

But now, if you buy a dye and use it on one of your items it's gone in pvp if it's not one of the pledge, stretch, add-on store items. That's a change, and it's a considerable change. It means that if I want to wear all black and pvp (which I do) then I have to buy a consumable for real money (or find someone in game to trade with) and if I die in pvp it could be gone forever (assuming I don't or can't pay the ransom). Again, this is added risk for an item that is exclusively sold in the add-on store and works unlike anything else in the game.

14. CaptainJackSparrow

Everybody knows that an isometric view gives you better visibility :p

Welcome back.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

your not buying insurance for an item that you will use the dyes on. The dyes themselves are the thing that cannot be looted. What your suggesting is like saying I used the blacksmith hammer of prosperity to craft my armor and now you cannot loot it.

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I didn't know that (like I said, ignorant of most PvP stuff). Interesting concern I hadn't considered. But as you pointed out, that does also give an exploitable way around the PvP system if they did enable it. Interesting dilemma.

17. Drocis the Devious

That would be true, if the blacksmith hammer was a consumable and once you used it to create your armor the hammer was gone (after 12 uses). This is different. This is me paying money that will be consumed by use in the game. We have nothing else like it in the add-on store.

18. Drocis the Devious

I would be fine with having the dye replenish periodically. I just don't want to have to pay continuous amounts of money for the same thing, and I don't want to have to make decisions about my real world cash in pvp. Decisions like "Should I wear my black armor in pvp? Sure it looks cool but if I lose it it's like I lost $5."

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I see your point, but I still stand with the knowledge that once you use the item, it does not "bless" the item it was used on. Sure you spent 5 bucks on a dye, but the dye is consumable, and after its consumed, its used and gone.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

well its your choice to pvp, or not to pvp. Do you risk it or not risk it. Its a decision you need to make.

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.