How dyes work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yeah, but don't you think wearing black or white armor makes someone a target in pvp? I mean it's like you're wearing a suit made out of cash. :)

margaritte and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Then why don't we just do that with all the pledge items? Do you feel like that's a good idea? How do you think that might impact PVP?

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    hehe well thats your decision again. Make yourself a target or don't. :p

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

the add on store are not pledge items.

5. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Not only is it your choice to PvP, but isn't it also your choice to not craft the dyes and buy it? Captain Jack is aware, he thinks, that white and black dyes will be add on store only and if only black touches the Baron's skin then Captain Jack supposes you will be forced to buy it?

Captain Jack still thinks the bigger issue here is the automatic assignment of the "coolest" things into the online store. Dyes? Great! Black and white? Hold up there ye scrubby land lover, they be in da store!

6. Drocis the Devious

Ok, so you'd be ok with making all add-on store items lootable in pvp?

Do you think a decision like that would have an impact on what people wore in pvp? Do you think that might decrease the value of add-on store items?

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I don't see the problem with something from the add on store being a "consumable" just so long as it's made clear in the purchase description. Dyes are purely vanity items. It's not like they give any advantage at all. Sure, it's not like anything else, but why should it have to be?

8. Drocis the Devious

Yes, it's my choice to pvp or not. It's my choice to buy black or not. If that's how we're going to create this game, why stop there? Let's do that with everything. Pledges, stretch goal items, everything in the add-on store...tour guide hats...

I mean, surly this would be a popular change that would be welcomed by all. :)

CaptainJackSparrow likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

your twisting my words. No I would not be alright with making all add on store items lootable. I do however understand that the dyes would not be lootable. I also understand that using the dyes consumes them and they no longer exist. They do not bless items.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

your building straw men now.

11. CaptainJackSparrow

The only problem with it really is the recurring prescient set, that if something is made the best of it is really going to make you go down to your cargo hold and dig out the pieces of eight.

What happens when Captain Jack has to start sharpening his Scimitar with a royal ornate stone of black plus 3 sharpening? Captain Jack's ship is gonna get sunk.

12. Mandalar

Mandalar Avatar

If one is worried about losing the dyed item in PVP.... they should simply pay the "Ransom" to get it back. I personally love the Ransom the way it is. There should be some risk involved with PVP. And some risk involved with going into a PVP zone.

PS. I'm not a PVPer.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

BTW: Wasn't this a dev+ topic? Do we really have to make a big deal about it? It was a BS topic to start with and now it is being raised in spite of the final decision. I wish I could get the great baron in the tavern and get him wasted and laid to take the edge off.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  14. CaptainJackSparrow

Indeed good Baron, Captain Jack just linked his newest post which is not actually this post but newer in the tree than yours but older than this.... *hic* where was Jack? Oh, yes, I said something after that you may be interested in.

15. CaptainJackSparrow

Dev+ topics typically hit here about 30 seconds after the Instructions go out. Nothing new :p

16. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I agree with you. Unfortunately it means that I would not buy it. It would impact my purchasing decisions in a negative way.

Think about any add-on store item you may have purchased. What if you bought a hat that you could only wear 12 times and then it disappeared. That's similar to what we're talking about here. Hat's are cosmetic, and the dye you use is cosmetic.

17. Drocis the Devious

I'll remember that the next time you feel passionately about an issue. I'll remember how fair it is to just dismiss your concerns because I don't share them.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Captain Sparrow, I must admit that I don't speak pirate very well at all, but from what I can tell your concern is that the "best items" are being placed in the add on store to help generate money for the game, yah? I don't have a problem with that either, with the dyes, because again, they don't do anything except make you look pretty :D I think the devs have said many times that they won't sell items that give a player a distinct advantage, so I don't see royal ornate sharpening stones happening in the add on store! If they do, I promise to show up with a bucket and help you bail :D

So long as it was stated that I could wear the hat 12 times and I was making an informed decision, then I think that's fine. I am just not understanding the issue, I guess, because it seems like such a trivial thing. Buy the dyes or don't. Do you think that no one will buy them because of this, or just that YOU don't want to buy them because of this?

19. Drocis the Devious

I don't know what this means, I'm sorry. :)

20. CaptainJackSparrow

It may not be a good wager for you given the history, and especially if they decide to sell dyes int he store which you can't actually craft yet and at all before the game is live, but, its a date my bonny lass! You can be Jack's Bailman anytime!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.