How dyes work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Basically what you are, Captain Jack thinks. Hard earned RL loot for Consumables on the store is bad. Even worse if you take into considering he game isn't live and you are literally flushing your loot and dyes down the drain...

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not trying to straw man you here, Ravicus. I'm also not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm simply saying that if you are ok with one add-on store item being lootable (and it's not how it works) then you must be ok with them all being lootable.

To your point, the actual dye is not lootable. But to my point, you can't wear the dye you have to put it on something that is either lootable or not lootable and so that kind of forces your hand. I can't put black dye on lootable items if I don't want to risk loosing them in pvp and to me this is exactly like saying the thing I bought in the add-on store is lootable. Which I don't think is right.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

No need to wait https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/tacos-a-la-shroud.42435/

:)

In seriousness, I really do want to get your ass drunk. You should have taken a hiatus too. It will make you live longer. The stress level is not healthy for you. The saying, "if you love them, set them free" does apply here. Just looking out for you, not SOTA bro.

4. Drocis the Devious

Tahru likes this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    well I think your missing my point. You are assuming that the dye will make the item you dyed an add on store item. It is not. The dye that you bought is the add on store item. When you use the dye it is consumed, it is changed and becomes a part of something else. If you choose to buy the dye from the add on store and never use it you can carry it around. If you use it, it is not the same thing you bought from the store. It is consumed. Gone. Empty. You cannot sell it as a dye, you cannot give it away as a dye, it is gone. I hope you see that the armor you dye is not the same thing as the dye you buy! hey that rhymes! :p

6. CaptainJackSparrow

Then you are out as a masochist Baron!

7. Drocis the Devious

I have thick skin.

8. Selene

Selene Avatar

As I have said several times before about other items in the add-on store that peeps have chosen to gripe about, if you don't think it's worth your dollar, DON'T BUY IT!

No one is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to buy black dyes. If you think a consumable vanity item is ridiculous, go back to drinking a $6 one time use latte or a $4 one time use craft beer and let those of us who use our EXPENDABLE income on something pretty enjoy our options.

9. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I understand that and agree.

Yes, that's true.

But other add-on store items, like the snowball chest will replenish. You don't loose all 50 snowballs when you throw them, they come back to use. Fireworks are the same way. You use them and eventually they come back.

Yes, I do see that. However, I feel that the blackness of the armor, since it can not be put back into the bottle, is something that should be replenished over time like the other items I mentioned.

If eventually the devs give us a way to remove the dye and return the item to its original color, then the money we spent (unlike any other item) is gone. It's a waste. I don't think that's good.

10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

A point Captain, everything comes back to your account with each wipe. One just needs to know when the last one has occurred.

11. Drocis the Devious

Yes, you're correct on all counts.

And I won't buy it from the add-on store. I would hope the developers appreciate my frank and honest feedback. I want to buy it. But I don't want to buy it if it's consumable and will never replenish.

If Portalarium offered me a special real life Shroud of the Avatar cup of coffee, I wouldn't buy that either for the same reason. The thought of buying a DIGITAL cup of coffee that will be consumed on use seems EXTRA stupid to me.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

The issue @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos is bringing up is that people who play for PvP and not for PvE will avoid buying black or white dyes.

Knowing PvP players, they're probably the ones most eager for the black & white dyes to begin with ;) Just my sense from playing UO...

13. CaptainJackSparrow

You like mazes right? What if you could only craft mazes with left facing 90 degree angles? What if to enjoy a robust maze in a great game you had to go and buy right facing 90 degree angles?

Some things are more personal to some people, so "don't buy it" is a little bit of an over simplification of the matter.

14. Selene

Selene Avatar

4B was building mazes when all there was to build mazes with was potted plants and book cases. How many craftable color dyes are in game?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

I agree with this. We can't overlook that not buying it in the add-on store does not mean you can't purchase it from another player that did buy it in the add-on store. There's still an in-game market.

I personally have no problem with black and white dyes being sold in the add-on store. My problem is that they're consumable.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    you do realize that if they used the dyes to "bless" the armor that gets dyed would create a serious game imbalance. Everyone would dye the armor and it would not be lootable. There is a difference however in seasonal items (non wearable and not consumable) in the add on store. You cannot wear or display the fireworks or snowball chest. They cannot transfer properties to other items either. I understand you want what you want, but it is not practical to have the item that you use the dye on be "blessed". Maybe it should not be for pvp if it can be looted but pve will certainly love it.

17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

And yet if they sold Corpion juice I'd consider getting a case of it probably...

18. Drocis the Devious

I do realize that, I'm in no way advocating that they allow black and white items to be unlootable.

I'm pointing out how silly this design is and that it impacts pvp in a negative way. As well I'm calling out that the consumable part of this is going to make one of their best customers not buy it even though I want it. I'm hoping they'll change what's being sold to no longer be consumable and to replenish over time like the other times.

Even if it only replenishes once a year, I'd be happy with that! I would not be happy however if the twelve things I dyed were lootable and I lost the dye in the process. So I like the idea of having the dye return to you once the item you dyed is looted. Simply because that removes the ability of people to LITERALLY lose their money in PVP. That's only going to hurt pvp participation or give people further reason to avoid wearing good stuff in pvp.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, I don't see the dyes on the add-on store yet, so they could always postpone this decision if they wanted to.

20. Selene

Selene Avatar

Or you wear ALL black because people will think you're a total badass and out of their league because you're not afraid of losing $2.

Fister Magee, Acred, Spoon and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.