Bye Bye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E n v y, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack observes that the only problem here is that we maybe haven't even read the rules? Perhaps if we all followed the rules a little more closely, the unprofessional moderators wouldn't have an issue when they attempt to moderate? Maybe everyone just needs to be drunk! Works for Captain Jack.

Act with Virtue:
    Treat others as you would want to be treated. We are all people united under the same banner, with similar hopes and many different opinions. Show respect for one another, disagree with grace, and offer opinions with humility. And sheath those swords… there are absolutely no personal attacks allowed.

Be not a Troll:
    Do not purposefully patronize others or make posts designed to instigate an argument. Our goal is to create a great community for a great game, not to pummel each other with virtual sticks and stones.

Badger Not thy Kingdom:
    Harassment or bullying of any type is not welcome in this community. We are here to encourage a collaborative spirit, not to shut it down by repeatedly invalidating others opinions or feedback. Consistently strong-arming others into the same discussion, or repeatedly posting the same ideas/opinions in multiple threads/forums also falls under this category and should be avoided.

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I fully admit I never read them.
    But let's be honest: It's nothing I couldn't come up with myself if i would be willing to behave like an adult ^^
    Alas I am not willing. But that's MY problem. Not the problem of the rules or the mods (well...of course it can turn into one for the mods. But that's a different topic ^^)

Leelu likes this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Paid won't make a difference. I was a paid MYUO forums mod, from the first day to the last. It's a hard thankless job where folks get upset from either side of the conversation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I skimmed this thread and noted the points starting from where @dallas chimed in.

I tend to put heavy trolls on ignore, as well as people who read my posts and respond with acerbic language. The few times I've tried to call people on their attacks by fighting fire with fire, I've been moderated. This appears to be working as intended. I also ignore people based on the principle that 'if I read their posts, it's going to annoy me, and probably provoke me into responding in a way which is against the forum rules'.

Previously, if I had a problem with a post, I would report it. I was soon addressed for this behavior as "trying to guide moderation", and was asked to stop, which I did. I don't want to report posts now because I'm too worried that instead of looking at the post, the mods will look at me, and I'll get another stern reminder not to attempt to moderate the forums by proxy. Maybe we could have an official document stating preferred methods of conflict interception, conflict resolution, and damage control? I know that I can email support@portalarium.com, but I don't want to create even more CS JIRA tickets. I want to respond to an incident where it's happening (the forum), at the place where it's happening (the post), and give my testimony at that point.

There are things happening outside of this forum which have everything to do with this forum and the game, and there's no way to stop it.

-DDOS attacks on various community TeamSpeak servers
    -attempted Anonymous / 4chan dox attacks

In a sense, there's some real-world PvP at play here, and it's outside of the purview of Portalarium. The fact that people are taking things to this level over this game is something that really bothers me, because it's proof that people will sink to any depth to seek their own personal justice, at the expense of the community as a whole.

The problem with taking the high road, and expecting people to do the same, is that there's no end to people who will take the low road, or find deeper depths in which to sink in order to achieve their objectives.

Katrina Bekers, Budner, Acred and 8 others like this.
  5. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Of course paid makes a difference. If it is a job you can treat it as such. Having voluntary mods is one of the many ways in which they disregard all of the things publishers provide. They claim the publishers are useless yet discover the hard way that professional management, public relations etc. are jobs that exist for a reason.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Mordecai and Leelu like this.
  6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

My past years of experience have me disagreeing with you. I stand behind my statement.

7. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Its pretty clear no one has to post in this forum for their voice to be heard by the devs. I got a pm from DarkStarr last month for posting on the steam forum and whatever is said on the Green Monster's forum is known to just about everyone of the devs. In fact I would advise: If you want it to be read, post over there. I am Tarsilion in games for almost 20 years. That would be a lot of dedication to keep that up as an alter ego :D. And all of it just to have an alt account in case of being banned 20 years down the road ...

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

9. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

LMFAO!!!
    OooOOOooOoOOOooo, I know she wanted to cuss him... BUT... She cant do it here... ;)

Leelu likes this.
  10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

11. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

And somehow asking for critical threads to be locked is always the answer to everything.
    I am sure the mods will oblige soon. In fact its easy to get any thread locked in this whole forum in that way, and the mods always do it :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Leelu like this.
  12. Womby

Womby Avatar

The $5 fee was very reluctantly imposed in a last ditch attempt to prevent a ceaseless barrage of spam. It worked. If you want it removed, then your best bet is to provide a solution to the spam problem that the devs were unable to find.

13. argyle

argyle Avatar

I stopped reporting (and participating) here to a large degree after I was threatened with a ban for not acting with virtue. My crime was reporting a popular user spamming a thread after a dev specifically asked people not to spam the thread. Its the only time I've ever used the report feature here, but I used it on each one of that users excess posts after the first. I was threatened with a ban for 'abusing the report system'. I apologized, but asked for clarification on why I would be banned for using the report feature to report posts the devs asked not to be made. I never received a response. I actually thought I was doing the proper thing at the time. After that incident, I went elsewhere to discuss the game.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  14. argyle

argyle Avatar

It is removed.

Myrcello and Leelu like this.
  15. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

The way I set up the BMC Forums was like this...
    We have a public area that's moderated for all the folks who wanna love everybody, but we also have an invisible members area where it can get heated, then EVEN further down into the rabbit hole, I set up an officers area where it's scorching, then EVEN further down into the bowels of hell itself, we have the leadership forums, where people REALLY speak their minds...

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

But it still says that you need it?

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think the idea of setting up a less heavily moderated area is a bad one. In my view it will be a petri dish for pestilence, a place to spawn and nurture disruptive and damaging inter personal acrimony that will be detrimental to the game.

18. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Well... Unfortunately, not everybody thinks that smelling flowers and hugging teddy bears is the way to express themselves... Some people want to whack a hornet's nest and feel the stings...

Benny Hinn likes this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

I prefer clear logical statements that are free of passion. More Vulcan than Klingon. No flowers or teddy bears, unless they are the subject for discussion.

20. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Guys listen... I'm the leader of the largest guild so far in the game... I KNOW what I'm asking for... I KNOW the BMC will get railed beyond belief on a 17+ sub forum... But you know what? I would rather those people have a place to do it than to feel like they had to leave the forums for over moderation...

Here's some truth for you guys... Envy is leaving the forums cause I posted a the NBTF thread and then he called in all the Weeping Seven supporters and they started the "NoKneeShallBow" stuff and bloated up the thread... So... I reported them and told the MOD that it was the second time the group had done it and if they done it again, I was gonna contact Dallas Snell... I KNEW the MOD would spank them and clean up the thread... I didn't expect Dallas to personally come on here and investigate.

That's the truth guys... That's what happened and why were here... Bottom line is, and I can say this cause I know BMC was the target... We need a place where people can express themselves openly... Set the forum up so the threads are auto-moved and deleted into a graveyard forum every 2 weeks or so, everybody have a coke and a smile, and lets get back to building the game...

There ya go @E n v y ... Talk all the **** you want to about BMC... I just got your back... Peace...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.