Something wrong with EXP POOL and new players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatsu., Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I still think all the usebased skill system and xp/adventure pool is somthing that doesnt make fun at all for my self.

I wished we could have kept the normal old level, put points into skill tree system.
    And i still think if we go alonge with this use based system and xp pools even they get optimized by the devs, nobody should be abel to speck into each tech tree.
    I cant see how this should ever work with a player driven economy.

For pure singelplayer let a player reach each skill tree. No skill decay nothing.
    For Multiplayer go and limited how much skill treas you can choose from. Limited the players choise for crafting or harvesting skills to 2 or 3 maximum.

In that case has something to be done, cous its not only something i dont like i know how negativ the reviews will be if the system stays that way when the game gets out, which could easly lead to the downfall of the game.
    To dramatic? Well i watched carefully all the reviews i have seen games like wildstar falling by a lot of flawed stuff that i and my Friends pointed out got ignored on, and in the end we where right.

Chris and everybody else who work on the skill and combat system have such a hard and at the same time interesting job to do and i wouldnt be like to stick in his shoes for one second. You have all the people come to you and say what you done all the time you invested, thx for that but we dont like it or it doesnt work. But the skill treas the level system arnt fun, i cant speak a lot about combat maby it will be more fun with propper animations and sounds and batter presentation but i cant enjoy the combat and charakter progression in sota doesnt matter how much i try.

2. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Just ask Themo Lock to make one :D If there is someone who can do that, it's him.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I felt this way as well, and struggled for a while to advance my character in any meaningful way.. and I believe my problem stemmed from using up my 4X bonus (which is fair, since we shouldn't start with this in the live game anyway) and using up my available starting xp pool up on supporting skills early on. Advancement is much slower while your xp pool is low or nonexistant. You gain more xp per hit, with a larger pool is what I'm saying. DO NOT USE UP YOUR POOL!

It is hard to make gains early on because of this. With micromanagement, you can gain the skills you need to survive much faster, but it certainly is not apparent to a new user.

Always keep something in your pool, turn off skills to maintain a certain level of points.

Gatsu. likes this.
  4. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

I think it should be one or the other. Skill based or level based. A mix doesn't work simply for the reason that it's unnecessarily complex and frustrating.
    I do want to plan my build, but I don't want to be forced to first lock everything, then gain skills one by one, lol.
    That's a horrible mechanic.

5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree

6. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

I'm currently playing Shards Online, where everything works like in UO and it's easy to understand even for newbies.
    Open the stats / skills, you can set them to rise/fall or lock them.
    There's a cap for stats and skills and it's being displayed.
    Everything's neat and clean and easy to comprehend and that's how a game should work.

[​IMG]

7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree with this as well.

Miracle Dragon, Solazur and kazeandi like this.
  8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'd much rather a skill cap for skills/stats. The overly complex/confusing system we have right now is not fun. From what I'm reading from others Shards Online has kept it simple and fun. hmm... :)

9. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Yea, a clear and simple cap makes it easy to plan your build, that's a lot more fun than guesstimating your exp/kill vs used xp / skillgain

Ice Queen and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

New Players HAVE to be directed to the forums and guides out there - yeah this IS an issue, and I have said over and OVER that this 4x exp needs to just go away so player can learn what it actually means to PLAY this game.

95% of us have NO idea what it feels like to be a new player.

They HAVE - yes HAVE to do some of the player staring quests (as I have clerly shown in my thread) and they also HAVE TO MANAGE THEIRS SKILLS !!!! 95% of us have no idea what this means - and I cannot wait till I see all the complaints that come out when we have to.

I have started a new char and feel their pain, but I do know the tricks.

The tutorial should be MUCH more directive as to these froums and the tutorial and instruction out there.

As asked for a few time INFORMATION - HAS to be put out clearly and in ONE place.

kazeandi, Luca Xante, Solazur and 4 others like this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is a little complex for brand new players, but it is not like you don't advance without the information either. You will still level up by just doing whatever you feel like doing, just not at an optimal speed. The information hasn't really been released anywhere, except by players who figured it out and shared. I think the tutorial intro can be more in depth once all the mechanics are finalized (to avoid wasting time and remaking it for every adjustment).

Fringe, Aldo, margaritte and 5 others like this.
  12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

That being said, there is nothing new with recreating a system that worked in 1997.

I do like that our devs are creative and are taking a stab at designing a different player experience. We went from pure decks to a blended use based deck system. While it lacks a good "how to shroud guide" I think that is understandable since we are all learning how to Shroud release by release. In this sense there are no new players only new testers. Once Alpha and Beta happen I too hope to see an understandable game guide and an intrisically understandable game by design.

Right now I'd like to get the next two archery skills and give feedback on those :)

Miracle Dragon, 4EverLost and Hauk like this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

A NEW PLAYER (FROM LEVEL 5 to 8) needs 135/165 ADV POOL POINT to kill a Large Wolf (for spiders and bears is worse!)... but the Large wolf revenue is only 105 adventurer pool exp points...

As Stated before a NEW player should NOT be taking on a Large wolf - If they cannot kill it go to a lower tier area and work on your skills - again this goes back to MANAGING your skills - if you start and just leave all your skills as set from the quest you are WASTING your time -

Look at the guides - personally I am going to focus on what I need to KILL then work no some defense then spread them out-

M A N A G I N G your skills is going to be the key - I know ALOT of player HATE this but - learn to deal with it and then make suggested changes. Not it sucks - fix it.

Need to start R26 with NO bonuses and let player figure it out.

The perhaps after next wipe let us set out skills so you can test high end stuff as needed to test balancing.

We already know how the grinding works and it does seem to work just fine - next test.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    agreed
    agreed
    agreed
    agreed, but the "in crowd" shouts down dissent and discredits them.
    agreed. Its because the devs only listen to a select group of people and ignore the larger player base and reviews.

Mishras, kazeandi, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The "select" group of people you carry on about were pretty happy with the old system, what we have now is due to public demand and very popular. Sometimes people disagreeing with you has less to do with a secret Illuminati and more to do with it being a bad or unpopular idea.

Fringe, Aldo, Kara Brae and 4 others like this.
  16. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

I never say this.. .the player i instructed have STR+INT BUFFED ARMOUR AND IT CAN MANAGE THE FIRE COMBOS.. AND HE CAN KILL EASLY 1 LARGE WOLF.
    What i'm saying is that player can't INCREASE the adventurer POOL... and after several NPC kills.. IT HAS ZERO of adventurer pool points. (this appens with large wolves... low level skeletons... bears.... small spiders... etc etc etc ect.)

what this mean? that it has a change of increase skills of 60% and not 100% compared to someone (all peoples with 4x) that has points (500+) on ADVENTURER BAR.

please stop misrepresenting my words.. i'm not talking about SKILLS settings, anyone can choice what skills increase and this is NOT THE POINT.

EASY SKELETON GIVE 88 ADVENTURER POINTS .. BUT NEEDS 130-140 POOL POINTS TO KILL IT

SMALL SPIDER GIVE 68 ADVENTURER POINTS .. BUT NEEDS 130-140 POOL POINTS TO KILL IT

LARGE WOLF GIVE 105 ADVENTURER POINTS .. BUT NEEDS 150-160 POOL POINTS TO KILL IT

(After some HITS the adventurer POOL decrease to ZERO.. and the player has NO CHANCE ON 40% of a single fight to INCREASE A SKILL)

ME and all of YOU... have 100% of chance to INCREASE OUR SKILLS during a single fight. (just because we have always enought adventurer pool left during a fight)

WHEN A PLAYER REACH ZERO ADVENTURER POOL IT CAN'T INCREASE SKILL (AND THIS IS A NICE THING BECAUSE THIS REDUCE MACRO-ING/GRINDING ON CITIES) BUT A NEWBYE THAT IS NOT ON CITY AND HE IS FIGHTING CORRECTLY USING HIS SWORD AND SPELLS NEEDS TO HAVE ALWAYS SUFFICIENT ADVENTURER POOL POINTS TO INCREASE HIS SKILLS DURING ALL THE FIGHT TIME. (this is my last reply)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I will say it again - MANAGE YOUR SKILLS AND YOU CAN GAIN, ANYWHERE.

4EverLost and Fister Magee like this.
  18. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

First of all I would like to say that " This game is still in development" so Yes there is some issues ( All games have issues in this stage of development ) So with this said, its important say what you do not like BUT ALSO important to include a potential solution to the issues of report to devs in the proper location in this forum..

Ideas are always welcome ( Good and bad ones : ) ). Thats what make open development so important and I dought very much that the devs would be so narrow minded to only listen to a small group when there is a fountain of youth of feedback at there doorstep.

Yes I did notice myself just today actually that I was losing XP with everything off but one skill at only level 63.. Which means that something is off balance as XP should not drop like its doing but perhaps just stay where it is or very very slowly increment ( Not at my level anyways ). Users Should not be losing XP in a battle that you Win ( But it does not mean that you should necessarily gain XP either )

Is it micro managing? Well I have to agree that it is at the moment for anything above adventure level 65. But its still not balance yet. I do prefer however a game that's difficult to master.

Yes there is great tutorials in these forums ( Themo lock as posted a very good and informative thread ( About Leveling ) recently for those who which to dive a little closer on how the present Leveling system works) and for those who do not want to know such details then I would say do not worry too much as things are not balanced yet and things should be better during beta ( And maybe even before that ) Grinding or micromanaging should only be for users who wish to level up faster and it should not be absolutely required.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

There do seem to be some oddities with the starting experience. I recently gave up pole arms and started training blades from scratch, and while the skill (K) screen shows it is leveling, I have not see a notification of it leveling in chat. Though I have seen a few other skills go up. But blades should have been increasing the most and have been obvious. So like the OP I have been wondering about the pool as well, though I think it is working.

20. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

It is not difficult to turn off skills and grind, that is all we are talking about here. It is a little two dimensional and needs more creativity though. But like you said I suppose: " This game is still in development"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.