Best place to get the most Iron, ... Fast? !

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Thore Gundi, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i will also add i was one that got a lot deed there from spoon it truly is one of the best locations in the game... hands down

i am there regularly as well if you ever need it cleaned out for you add me in game and let me know and ill head over there and clean it out for you and leave so u can mine to your hearts content

tazntaylr, majoria70 and Spoon like this.
  2. crydee

crydee Avatar

Where abouts are the gaff mines ?

I have been trying to find a place to level my mining up reliably. It seems to be constantly lagging behind the rest of my professions and has a low success rate + takes forever to mine a node. So as I progress in adventure levels, the nodes I tap get further and further out of my reach

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In the far north of the Drachvald region of Novia
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Novia

From Soltown you head north over Solace Bridge, further north you will find the Eastreach control point, run through that, you are now in Grunvald, head due NNW past Grunvald Barrens, once through the desert, find the road and continue NNE continue past all civilization and you have reached Drachvald, then in the top northern mountains you will find Graff Mines.
    No need to battle the Kobolds outside the mine itself, instead run past them until you find the mine entrance itself.

...or in game chat write
    /friend Spoon
    and see if I'm online, then whisper me and I will take you there so that you don't get lost in the wilderness along the way.

Moiseyev Trueden and Tydes like this.
  4. crydee

crydee Avatar

Thanks spoon that was a great help, i managed to get there from around Brittany, and sped past the kobolds like you suggested. However, unfortunately the nodes are still too high level for me ! Right now it is taking about 20sec+ with a 47% chance. The only place I've had great success is at north vale

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Those are the metal nodes, you need to go down further to reach the crystal nodes which are level 1 and spawn fast.
    I will be in game in one hour so whisper me and I could show you.

Moiseyev Trueden and margaritte like this.
  6. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Crag mines is the place to go for me. You might die trying to get to it but as a ghost you can run all the way to the mine and rez as soon as you get in there. Top level of the mine is gold and copper. Second level is gold and iron. Third level is death until you have the equipment and power to kill the ghost that keep respawning and there are plenty of them. I went there at level 20 and mostly leveled up mining. I beleve it started out at 51% chance.

Numa and Alexander like this.
  7. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Oh... 4 hrs in the Crag mines will get you 200 plus Iron. You will also get 10,000 gold worth of Tungsten and Granite Blocks. You sell them to the Tailor (Go Figure) for top dollar on those. You would of thought you would sell to the Armorer. You will get full price from the Tailor.
    Once you kill the slimes in each of the 3 rooms there will be nothing else to kill. You have a few bandits you have to kill on the way to the 3 room but you wont see them again as long as you don't go past the first room you clear.
    Leaving the Crag mine I log out and come back on choosing log on to world map. Then I type /stuck to get to Ardoris click on the boat to get to Kings Port. Then I just jog on over to Olw's Head and sell my stuff and put ore in the bank.
    I write this more for the new folks not the ones that all ready know this stuff.

8. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

For you that don't know. It takes 432 iron ore to make a full suit of White Iron plate armor. More if you want it Crited, which you will. So I don't know how you play the game if you want to sell armor on your vendor. You still have to harvest Suite, Cotton, Tin, and copper. It's a job not a game.

Liekki, Turk Key and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Agreed. As of this release (R23), the Etceter Crag mine is the best location for both Iron and Copper, but you need to deal with some annoying Kobolds and Ghosts.

10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

You can cut that down by using scrap metal.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Where is iron in Etceter? I can find copper and gold on the first level, no nodes on the second level, and the third level has ghosts which so far still kill me too quickly to even explore yet.

But I can clear the first level of Graff with no trouble. There's lot lots of iron and copper in the first room, some gold elsewhere on the first level, and some silver down on the third level even if you can't beat the satyr.

There's also iron and copper in Spectral, but the skeletons tend to be a bit much for me, especially when it drops Hardened Archers and Mages in there. (And unlike Graff, these skeletons DO repop!) I can usually do the front room with no problem, but the back room is where most of the skeletons hang around, and I can't farm enough nodes to get them to repop at a decent rate in the front room.

And yes, you can cut down the number of ores needed significantly if you use metal scrap. But it's still easy to mine enough ores that you go out fighting stuff just for loads of rusty weapons to scrap.

Oh yeah, and Owl's Nest has iron and copper, along with crystal nodes to help you skill up faster.

12. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Search for breakable walls in Etceter. There are several in the second and third levels down. I currently don't go down to the ghost levels.

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Osiris3

Osiris3 Avatar

Gramps, can you tell me what you mean by Crited? I've seen that mentioned before but have no idea what it is and how to do/get it.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

It's part of the mechanism of crafting, which will no doubt be refined and much further tweaked as the game development continues. Basically, there are four options when you try to craft something:
    1) Crafting succeeds. You make the object.
    2) Crafting fails. Consumables (coal etc) are used up.
    3) Crafting conditionally fails. You get a popup saying that crafting has failed but you can salvage it by adding more wax, coal, or whatever you were using. Your choice.
    4) Crafting succeeds, and you get a popup saying that if you add more items (more leather yards, straps, iron bindings, iron sheets, extra sword blade or whatever) you can get an extra powerful item. This is a "critical success" I had it happen only once when making armour during this release cycle - my leggings give me +3 strength on top of their other properties.. Really rare, but very nice when it happens. Have spare resources ready just in case!

15. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Brightbone pass. The only thing I have surveyed there is iron ore as far as mining nodes. As far as I have seen anyway.

16. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

I just found a ton of Iron Ore in Brightbone Pass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.