Ok here is why Taming of pets needs to have some adjustments for Pet Control - -

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Weins201, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I went out with a New pet and just let it go fight in Deep Savernoc Tomberlands (first Video) and then on to the Savernoc Stronghold (second Video) and let the pet fight a few critters - I did NOTHING else but summon her and let her go crazy.

I did wander up the hill in the Stronghold toward the Elves but she went Crazy and ran into the camp and tried to take on EVERYTHING at once :-( She did take out one Hardened Mage before her demise but :-(

Here she just WALKED thru her targets :)

And here like I said we tried the camp but - when she recovered she ate up a Hardened Skeletal Mage - then on to some more Wolves :)

Now it has been mentioned that some kind of Control Skill needs to be added - sorry but NOPE, I have worked hard enough to get what I needed to tame these, if you add a control Skill then I would have to train it. If it is just an innate then OK but that is exactly what I am talking about.

It would just be easier to require a certain level of Taming / Summoning / Healing / Resurrecting to just Equal a number which can be used as a Control ability.

Pets - Especially High Power ones HAVE to have some requirement for use.

If not a player with NO skill - as I have shown - since I used NOTHING but a summons, can wield a pet that can walk thru a Tier 5 Area.

Bad - VERY BAD.

I am going to go out later with a group of player with NO taming, and a party of spiders and take on critters to show MORE proof that some kind of control needs to be implemented.

I know, and am sorry to my fellow tamers, this will most likely get these critters also modified :-(

Aldo, KuBaTRiZeS, Beaumaris and 2 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok tried to get more (have two) burned up 52 collars to no avail (reached 104) but decided to just take mine out to the simple bridge trolls and see what happens;
    Video is her just eating him up, did it two more times - 2nd she got hit 3 times and died - left troll with 12 HP which I closed out with two shots and 3rd she knocked his socks off again with only one hit, yeah it did like 200 dmg (1/2 her life) but didn't work as he fell to her again.

I know these are Simple Bridge Trolls, but the point is, ATM any char with NO skill can buy one of these and go out with it.

Higher end tamed critters HAVE to have some kind of mechanic implemented to prevent a player with NO Taming skill a chance to use them at will. Some kind of control requirement HAS to be implemented, and NOT an additional active skill, Taming already has a HUGE requirement in Skill and resources to even be able to tame these critters.

Again just like UO has now; combination of Taming / Summoning / Creature Healing, can easily be used as a Control level.

Aldo, KuBaTRiZeS, Beaumaris and 2 others like this.
  3. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

The summoning skill has so far no worth, but if we could bind the level of summoning on the level to call pets, it would help much. This way no lvl 5 char which a rich sponsor would start with the highest pets.

Whyterose Flowers and Weins201 like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeah - but I fear is something is NOT done ((I am sure it will be)) player will just run amok with High level tames at NO skill and wreak HAVOC :)

And Again I am sorry but I feel I have also set these critters up for the nerf bat :-(

6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

How does it impact you when people walk around with purchased pets? Would not purchased pets benefit tamers who wish to engage on the open market?

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Way off Base - I am not trying to kill the tamer market place I am trying to make it so that a player fresh thru the portal cannot just grab a whistle with a Ferocious brown and walk minto a tier 5 and have a field DAY. Please do not try and read into this I am trying to achieve a Balance for Tames.

KuBaTRiZeS and FrostII like this.
  8. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I am not implying by my two individual non-linked questions that you are trying to kill tamer markets personally, though it would be a side effect of what you propose. Then I am asking why you don't want a newb walk into a tier 5 area with some nice beasties? How will it affect you personally if they do? I just want to understand why you are requesting this change from an angle on how it affects you directly.

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Oh that would be such an Imbalance since they would be in the Hardest Areas, Surviving, AND killing those critters, and they would be doing it without ANY training at ALL.

Again as it stands now ANY player can walk thru the portal into the world do ONE quest, go to the trainer, turn on Summon Pet, get handed a one of these and then just go NUTZ anywhere in the world they want.

ALSO and I hate I have to say it (as I don't like the PvP side anyhow) but - One of these as a companion with NO skill but 1 in summon and 1 in pet res so you don't have to lose it completely and Wala you have this crazy strong partner on your side, OR even worse some dumb army of them when you come across 10 p-layer who just bought them and now you are fighting 10 players and 10 of the strongest beast on their side - Really (( I hate to use PvP to prove my point but ))

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Doesn't matter if a point is PvP or not it is still a point so that is fine, but on the flip side if you were a lower level PvP player it would also be great protection to have a nice friendly beast next to you protecting you from the 10 other high level PvP players in your zone, no?

The only thing that could turn me off taming as it is now is if I was forced to buy a pet due to not being able to complete a quest solo.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

In UO, you would need animal lore (and some private shards require vet) to be able to control pets on top of animal taming skills.

However, before we implement the "control" skill for taming, I think the actual taming skill training might need to be revisited first. It just seems meta-gaming for training by burning through a bunch of collars.

KuBaTRiZeS and AvatarAcid like this.
  12. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I think the summoning skill would be fine for limiting the effectiveness of higher end pets being used by people who haven't trained a skill. I would like it to be where you can summon anything and control it but after a certain amount of time, based on level of the pet and summoning skill, it unsmmons and you have a cool down. So at lower level summoning skill you can summon say a wolf that would stay with you for 10 minutes and have a cool down timer of half an hour but if you had a higher level pet it might stay with you 5 minutes with an hour cool down. Obviously the times would need to be adjusted but that's the basic thought.

Adam Crow likes this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I think this is an excellent idea. It would allow for players still to buy the high end pets at lower levels, but they wouldn't be able to use them constantly. They would however still be able to use them for a small window, which would add quite a bit of strategy since you will have to choose when and where to use your high end pet. I don't see much of a problem with a player with no skill being awesome for just 5 minutes and then having a huge cool down period.

Also would like to add, I think if there ever is a control skill it shouldn't be the only thing that determines how well a player controls a pet. A GM tamer with GM control should be able to control a pet much better than a player that just has GM control with no actual taming skill IMO.

14. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

Being an old UO tamer, I do not want to see low level players running around with high level tames at all. I remember the work I had to put into taming to get to tame AND use a dragon. Sorry, but if you do not put in the time to use a higher level tame you should not get to use it period.
    The taming market will not hurt from this as people will still buy tames they do not want to go get themselves.

KuBaTRiZeS, Beli and Aldo like this.
  15. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I was and still am a UO tamer and there is no cost associated with taming there So it doesn't really compare to this games taming skill. In UO the only thing you spend to gain is your time, not time plus a consumable item that has a bit of cost to it. As long as taming requires an item to gain them I'm all for allowing control to be based off a different skill.

kazeandi and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  16. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

120 taming cost plenty :p All I am saying is a noob should not be able to control or even call on higher level tames. It is to unbalancing. The only reason people want this is to make a buck from newer players. Also as a UO tamer you know you could not sell or transfer a tame to someone who could not control it. So why should it be different here?

KuBaTRiZeS and Beli like this.
  17. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

There are so many differences between the two that comparing the need for taming in UO and Shroud is kind of pointless really.
    • Yeah, a 120 tame scroll was/is expensive. You didn't really need it so much though and you certainly didn't have to use more then one.
    • Control chance is calculated by taming AND lore in UO. That would actually be the equivalent of requiring taming and summoning to control a pet.
    • Once you have your pet and bond it you never lose it in UO vs having to be able to get to the body and res.
    • I can start a new character and start taming immediately in UO vs needing to either be able to afford to buy the collars or working up my crafting skills to be able to make them.
    The way I see it requiring taming to control a pet is locking everyone out of using them unless they have help either in the form of gold/supplies, or until they get high enough in other skills that aren't related to taming at all to be able to afford to do it. So the tamer in me says if I want to sell pets or use them effectively then control needs to be based onsomething else or a combination of taming and something else. If I was just trying to make gold off new players, even though your average new player wouldn't be able to afford high end pets, I would be arguing to leave it like it is.

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

While I totally agree trying try to compare UO to Sota is really pointless and has no base, the concept that a Non Tamer should NOT be able to control the toughest tames is still based in FACT.

Any argument that ANY player should be able to use some of the Hardest to Tame (strongest pets) other than the having some level of Taming and/or it's related skills has NO substance - NONE.

I have NEER said that you cannot use them, I just state and will say it till it is implemented - that in order to CONTROL / USE something like the Ferocious Spiders a player HAS to have some level of Taming and/or it related skill, or even an added control innate, to be able to summon and control these pets while in game.

If you want to spend a million gold to buy one and have one great, I am a;l for a player market for tames, BUT - - - a new player given the access should NOT in any way be able to just grab one and run around (like I have clearly shown) and use them anywhere.

These pets MUST have some kind of control requirement!!!! If not taming will be a complete JOKE, Hell even I would do it, go out tame them and give them to my other character to have them to go out and do whatever I want with - sorry but that is weak.

Hauk and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  19. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I never said they should be able to control any pet without some kind of control skill. What I said was I'd rather it not be taming that determines control.

20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

What is the difference between a purchased tamed high level pet and a vanquishing silver sword of Liche slaying? It has been said time and again that equipment will not be overpowered or essential in this game. By that logic, why would being able to buy (or even use) a high level tame be allowed? I vote for both or neither.

kazeandi, Ice Queen and Beaumaris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.