pvp?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Hughes, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hughes

Hughes Avatar

by saying consensual do you mean that they have to flag themselves to be attacked in the open world? if thats the case then were talking about a 95% trammy world where nobody is gonna flag themselves.thats a major game killer for me and about 33 others.

Nebuchadnezzar, Abydos and Brink1123 like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I have been flagged for a year, come at me.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's what they mean, yes.

And the only people that flag for pvp are those that don't risk much because they're either carrying nothing or they're at the top of the food chain already.

There are open PVP areas called Shardfalls, and a very few open pvp POTs (like Rats Nest) where anyone in the scene will be flagged for pvp. However, there are even ways to avoid that by going into single player online mode.

In addition, to flag for pvp you can literally wait until you see someone else flagged for pvp and attack them. This flags you for pvp, but it's assumed that you're not attacking the other person because you think you'll lose.

So yes, there are big time problems with pvp as a whole.

4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I was flagged PvP until I started getting cleaned out by pickpockets. I don't want to have to be constantly watching for ghosts silently stealing from me while I'm having a conversation or game of chess...I don't mind the concept of getting attacked in the same situation.

KuBaTRiZeS, Logain, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Well there will be if you keep giving new people the wrong information yes. There is 4 guilds flagged and quite a few individuals ranging from level teens to me (93). There definitely needs to be more, but the world is by no means empty of PvP'ers. It will never be nonconsensual full world open PvP though.

KuBaTRiZeS, Logain, Gaelis and 4 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

That's the problem with this system. It allows people to get their PVP ala carte.

Here's some choices for you, please select one:
    1. Be open pvp 100% of the time. You can be pick pocketed or attacked by anyone else in the game. Your current level is 93 and you can destroy 99.9% of anyone that dares attack you because your character is super powerful. Also a six year old could accomplish the same thing using this character.
    2. Be open pvp 100% of the time. You can be pick pocketed or attacked by anyone else in the game. Your current level is 55 or less and you can be destroyed by 80% of the people that will attack you in pvp.
    3. Do not flag open pvp. You can not be pickpocketed or attacked by anyone. You always have the option to attack people that ARE flagged for pvp, so you can decide ahead of time if you think you'll win or not. You can also flag yourself on the spot and attempt to pick someone's pocket, risking nothing until you actually flag for pvp.

I mean, it's not difficult to see how this works to the advantage of people that don't want to risk anything, which is why the pvp population is low and the pvp is bad. The idea that somehow this will eventually turn into a good environment for pvp would be laughable if it weren't so depressing.

So of course you (Balec) don't want to be on guard 24x7 from pickpockets, especially if you don't have to. Which you don't, and that's why you're not flagged.

A few things need to happen before PVP will begin to have a robust population.

1. All players need to have a chance of winning in pvp. Having a few people at level 90 something, walking around saying "come at me" is not fun for anyone but those few people. This doesn't mean there can't be progression, and it doesn't mean that there can't be an advantage for people that are higher level. It just means that the advantage can't be so monstrously pronounced as it is now.
    2. Players need to know who's playing in the (pvp) game and who's not playing. You can't have people unflagged for pvp just showing up in the middle of a fight or as soon as someone goes AFK and then picking pockets or attacking someone. Again, it's not fun for anyone that's on the losing side of that.
    3. Single player online mode needs to be removed in PVP areas like Shardfalls and PVP POTs. This goes back to the PVP ala carte arguments above.
    4. We need to have a more sophisticated accountability system that will police players that can't police themselves. Things like spawn camping and death mechanics and improvements to the ransom system that make the rewards for PKing more meaningful all need to be addressed.

It would be nice if the people that claim to want good PVP actually thought about more than "how they play the game" and began supporting a direction that would be good for the community as a whole. But that's probably asking too much from people that are happy with a system that rewards them for being king of low population mountain.

7. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I flagged when I hit 300 hp's. 2 months ago. And I'll flag day one release. By no means am I part of the 1%'ers when it comes to PvP, but I hold my own.
    There is a core group of pvp'ers in the community right now, but we're all pretty tight, and I don't know any true PK'ers playing in-game right now.

The PvP'ers (at least me anyway) def need to be more vocal on the forums. We're truly the minority right now because of numbers and pre-alpha state. Right now folks are waiting for wipes and things to be worked out. Unlike Crafters and Adventurers, PvP'ers will go to another game to PvP and come back to this one when its 'ready'.
    It's also close to the end of a wipe cycle. Numbers in general are down. You'll see more guys in about 3 weeks...then it'll dwindle again.

I'll just say this. The PvP isn't broken. All combat still needs work and tweaks, but that's why we're here, right? :)

Add me, we can spar anytime. ;)

Dhanan, KuBaTRiZeS, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is one thing i will agree with you on Drocis, pick pocket skill dropped the PvP population somewhat.

KuBaTRiZeS and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Been open PvP since lvl 50, saw ya on overworld the day I did Droc, remember? :) I hadn't played since r12 so my skills aren't very honed. I've caught 3 pick pockets and had a couple who were clever enough to swipe some stuff. When caught it puts them in a stun animation for like 8 seconds. Plenty of time for a lvl 50 to mop up a lvl 70, if he's talented. I don't know why the dig at Themo at the end there tho? If Themo let anyone else play his character, I might stand a chance. Even w/me at 80 and him at 90. Its not Themos avatar that's beating me right now, its his talent. Shouldn't be punished for having the time and skill to get a character to those levels.

As for #3, you're right...kinda. You cant just attack a flag person if youre not flagged. The only way to flag on the spot would be to heal an already flagged party member. Or you ca go to the Oracle...then come back and attack. You cant just attack a flagged person if youre not flagged. It wont let you.

10. Drocis the Devious

Getting to level 80 is quite the task, and I never said 80 vs. 93 was a cake walk. I said 93 vs 55 or less was a cake walk. And it is. No player in this game is so talented that they're beating a level 93 character with a level 55 character. Oh wait, is the level 93 AFK? :) If this were actually happening I think we'd see a much more robust pvp population, don't you?

You have to flag on the spot. If you're not flagged you can attempt to attack a person that is...a pop up window comes up and said "do you want to flag for pvp?" or something like that. If you say yes then you can attack away. So if the person you want to attack is flagged, yes you can attack them if you're not flagged and have the initiative on them. Some players do this by "healing" someone that is not in their group because healing ray is a ranged attack and that sets them up nicely for the first part of the fight.

11. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Honestly, I don't think its the gap in levels is the problem, or driving folks away (or pickpocketing, really). It might feel like that tho. I think it's truly just a numbers game right now (and sadly it seems our numbers are dwindling more and more as I look at the Market Place section DONT GO ;)). If there were thousands of avatars thru the world with varying levels, if we had the veterans and new guys coming in everyday like a AAA title it'd be different.

I'll take your word for the flagged part. I've been flagged so long I don't remember. I coulda swore it wouldn't let me attack a flagged person, at least until I flagged. I know you get the "onward" window if ya heal a flagged party member, but seemed like if I tried to attack a flagged guy I'd just basically be shadow boxing. guessing you're right tho. I haven't really tested since being flagged.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I doubt Drocis is going anywhere and would actually be sad to lose him, who else would i have to argue about PvP with D:

13. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

And there is this. Sure I might not have been able to beat Themo at lvl 50, but I beat a lvl 70, but were talking pickpocketing in this part. The stun animation gives you a huge advantage!!

Leelu and Gaelis like this.
  14. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

Can I have my cake and eat it too? How about making non-PvP avatars more easily identified by displaying bubble wrap around them?

**eagerly awaits ban hammer to put a bow on this 2 year nightmare**

15. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Don't see how any of these address my situation. I've got the skull of one of my pickpockets, but i still don't want to watch for ghosts constantly. Especially when I'm on fire and I see the same type of ghostly waves around me. Maybe I'll practice and get better at catching them easily and reflag...we'll see. But none of those suggestions change it for me, I'm pretty much fine with it except losing [tons of] items quietly.

16. Drocis the Devious

My theory is that because the pickpockets can wait for a good moment to flag, that's what they do.

Think of it like this...if you walk into Owl's Head and you're flagged for PVP, and you don't see anyone else there flagged for pvp, your guard may go down a bit. You may get a false sense of security. But really you'll continue to be on guard and be suspicious of anyone that approaches you.

But the pickpocket, that's someone that is not flagged and they're just waiting there for you to go AFK or go fishing or do something that puts you in a disadvantage. That's when they flag and that's when you lose your stuff. What I'm saying is that if the world didn't work that way, they'd have to be flagged pvp from the beginning. They'd have to stay stealthed the entire time, and you'd be looking for them the moment you walked into Owl's Head.

That's a big deal, know who can and can't attack you.

17. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

Maybe we'll get a skill that alerts you of pickpockets approaching, an awareness skill maybe? In Q3 2023 maybe

18. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Isn't there a Reveal Hidden skill in Sun...or somewhere. Thought there was.

19. Drocis the Devious

Yes, but that's not needed. If you see someone being stealthy, and you can clearly see them if you're paying attention. Then all you have to do is click on them and they are revealed and stunned (if they are picking pockets at that time).

20. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

All really fair points. Although when flagged I never really let my guard down (plus staying in stealth all the time helps, they cant steal from who they don't see :)) . I go AFK on overworld if I need to get a water or somethin, never in town.

But I agree 100% on if you're a pickpocket you should ALWAYS be flagged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.