I caught up to Lord British!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Themo Lock, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

You didn't forget that there will be a character wipe, right?

Themo Lock, Mata and Leelu like this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Sheesh - how to make a bloke feel inadequate!:eek::p;)

Seriously, many congrats Themo - respect +++++

3. Vermine

Vermine Avatar

Congratulations! :)
    About how many hours did it take you?

Oba Evesor, Themo Lock and Mata like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Awesome! Great job!

Themo Lock, Mata and Sara Dreygon like this.
  5. Thorin Strongarm

Thorin Strongarm Avatar

I can't understand what he posted...typical me

6. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

If I would gain experience on my Avatar for each word I translate in the localization project, I might be competitive.
    But so my character is mainly frozen at one place in the world (still need to find the hat guy in the Northern xxx woods).

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

If you see me in game just hit me up - happy to help you find that tour guide.

Logain, Duke Olahorand and Themo Lock like this.
  8. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

That's amazing Themo! such a soldier grinding out 20 GM's very impressive ;)

This just makes me wonder just how many GM's people can maintain with the current decay system because I expected it to just be a few not 20+! which to me makes the system a bit redundant.

4EverLost, Oba Evesor, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

While i am running out of skills i actually use to GM.. you can maintain pretty much all of them since you never actually lose a level (gods i hope that is intended). Decay will stop me somewhere between skill level 150 and 200 (i think) if it continues to scale similar to adv level. So it is not preventing how many GM you have, it is preventing level 999 in any individual skill.

10. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

That's interesting I always expected it to force you to make a choice with regard to which skills to maintain so you would have to specialize or lose the coveted "GM" status, so if you can get to 150+ potentially without feeling its effects I'm not sure how I feel about that to be perfectly honest, it just seems redundant.

4EverLost, Themo Lock and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  11. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I have zero. That is the void. That is infinite. Or not.

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Devs will be sharpening their harpoons soon. I just hope we all do not have to suffer because one person has enough determination to dominate the system. Congrats, Themo, your work and accomplishment is inspirational. I so hope that as the game progresses we will always have the opportunity to achieve the rewards of our hard work, not having those rewards squashed by the jealous few seeking parity.

13. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

o_OWow... Gz Themo! Pretty sure your data is gold regarding decay adjustment... even better, it's White Iron!

I'm with Kendric here... i'd say decay should hit harder the higher you get (assuming the goal of decay is to make progression harder and to keep characters away from GMing all)
    I was under the impression that 100 was the maximum stable value you can acquire in a skill, being able to go further with dedication (and maintenance). That's probably one of the "how it should work" i put in my head when i first heard about the mechanic being discussed, but it kind of makes sense... that way standard players can reach GM while keeping the doors open to go further... but making that "beyond 100" working like a temporal powerup, that can be mantained with perseverance up to some level.

I'd say that total XP spent should factor somewhere, making decay softer for starting characters and harder for the ones that are at the end of the road.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

'Straya.

Tougher wildlife, tougher blokes.

Devs need to add Emus as monsters to keep Themo in check.

Acred, 4EverLost and Themo Lock like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not sure how many hours, but compared to previous 3 month brackets i have played very casually. If i were to focus on nothing else i believe i could double that number.. i thought about it but there is no real reason for it. I think 20+ is enough to give Chris the data to adjust stuff.

Acred, 4EverLost, Oba Evesor and 2 others like this.
  16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is what i thought also, but i have some quite a bit over 100 with no level loss.. they just go into a black hole of negative exp that pretty much means its never going to increase without an insane amount of effort.

4EverLost, Oba Evesor and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Do you never really lose a level? In his post about the use based skill system, Chris talked about how skill decay works and said this:

Ok, next tidbit I’ll throw out is our first rough target for how much loss players will suffer. I won’t share exact numbers for how we’re doing the loss but I will give you an actual example of a real world situation. A player is awesome and levels up 20 of their skills to 80. Then they get a job and at the same time have a kid. They login every day for a year straight and die every day without earning any experience, you know, because they have a kid. :) This is pretty much the worst case, 365 days in a row of 1 day’s worth accumulated exp loss. So at the end of 1 year what do you think their skills will be at? 1? BUZZ! 20? BUZZ! 40? BUZZ! At the end of one year they will only have dropped to 72. If instead they only logged in once a week and died and earned no experience, they would be at 77 at the end of a year.

Even after reading and re-reading his post several times, I still don't really understand how it works. I only notice that if I lock a skill at a certain level for a while, as soon as I unlock it, any green bar it had disappears completely, even if I had used that particular skill all day every day. The system should be called "training-based", not "use-based", since using the skill doesn't prevent decay. Whenever I lock some skills to concentrate on training another, they experience decay. I hate it hate it hate it. Did I mention that I hate it?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yes but it doesnt do that... so its either broken or he adjusted it (possible since an unruly mob voiced dislike for it).

Kara Brae and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

You don't lose a level but if you could see the green bar it would be in the prior level somewhere.

If you lock a glyph for the maximum amount of decay days and then use it you will see that the green bar goes back to zero of your current level but it actually goes back to your current level minus some unknown number.

You can tell its in the minus because it can take many uses to have the green bar show up again for its first gain at your current level.

This invisible minus amount is one of the things that is driving people crazy.

Acred, 4EverLost, Themo Lock and 3 others like this.
  20. Noric

Noric Avatar

No kidding - that is terrible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.