1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Sounds of the Avatar (Audio Blog)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ltaylor, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltaylor

ltaylor Developer Emeritus

Hey everyone, and welcome to the Sounds of the Avatar! My name is Leo Taylor, and I am the Audio director/designer for our game.

Here I will post updates about audio improvements, as well as exclusive audio content/sneak peeks.
    Also I hope to learn more about you, from your audio likes to dislikes, so that the Sounds of the Avatar really have a great impact.

So let me know what you think of the Sounds in game and what improvements you wish to see below!

2. ltaylor

First I want to kick things off by directing you to our Soundcloud! Here I have uploaded some early daemon and dragon sounds, love to know what you think. -

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hey Leo!

I have a small request. I am suffering from Tinnitus and a very soothing sound for me is wind rustling in trees and tall grass. So maybe it would be possible to have something like this in the game?

Also will there be different sounds during different times of the day? For example birds chirping during day and owls hooting at night?

4. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Loved them, overall!

The dragon's roar at the end has quite a bit of reverb in it, so it sounds like its standing in a round tunnel.

The Hidden Sea Tunnel is very cool until the last bit. That sounds like a electric screwdriver. lol

Time Lord, majoria70, Glory and 2 others like this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I love the Daemons laugh. Creepy. Could be a good audio cue as to when it shifts schools of magic.

7. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

The demon laugh is what i imagine hearing when i see the @Chris is on and in a populated area. I also imagine him looking over a list of spawn options at that very moment. >.>

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

When I hear the 'electric screw driver', i think of Obiwan Kenobi scaring away the Sand people. I would love to see the Jedi use this type of power in the new movies, but more importantly, I think it would be cool if players or maybe some special monsters could learn to mimic the sounds of other monsters. (maybe we could have a recording device (afterall, all the pets use a 'pet call', so how else would we craft the pet calls? It makes sense to need to record the animals in the wild to make them!)

Time Lord and Lord LionHeart like this.
  10. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Hi Leo, great idea to have a blog and I cant wait to hear what comes out of it ;)

11. Vermine

Vermine Avatar

Great job! I like all of them :)

12. Miracle Dragon

First of all, welcome to Shroud of the Avatar, Leo! :D You'll need to get a cool nickname soon.. most of the Devs have them.

Regarding feedback of the current sounds: I've heard many complaints about the atmospheric bird noises being too repetitive (short loops) and shrill. These are probably in some towns and/or forest zones currently?

Perhaps crafting events should get a pass on new sounds.. crafting in general can feel so repetitive, that some longer sound loops, or smoother transitions with alternate effects could be helpful.

Hmm.. should our Avatars have some basic greetings that are triggered when we start conversations? (just a 'Hail!'/'Hello!') they could also be initiated by an emote command. Many games that have only text-based conversations will have some generic words for opening and closing conversations, or beginning combat, getting hungry/tired, bring out a pet, etc. What do you think of this idea?

Oh, and this may be way out of your jurisdiction, but many have talked about using 'magic command words' for casting spells, and perhaps if we are going that direction, being able to hear some 'mumbo jumbo' while casting and waving our hands in the air would add to the experience?

That's just off the top of my head. I'll go in-game and start keeping a journal as I play from now on. I really look forward to Sounds of the Avatar! ;-D

13. ltaylor

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! Glad to be here.

First of all, THE bird noises are being handled as soon as possible (my personal vendetta). I apologize, these birds and their sounds were never meant to be final. In fact most audio in the game now was meant to be temporary, so as we continue to update the game the sounds will be getting replaced to more soothing natural ones.

Love the idea of the "mimic sound monster", possibly a shadow creature. On my main list of next to accomplish for Release 27 will be the players footsteps and the more repetitive sounds being ironed out. This way you guys don't have to get annoyed with the sounds you hear the most, like crafting, walking, birds ect.

Hmmmmm...nicknames. I was thinking something punny and sound related. Any good Ideas?

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Excellent! Thank you.

This would be great! I'm hoping to see the new Words of Power expanded upon. Richard only gave us a couple words, and we need more!

Hmm... @Echo! :)

15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Something Puny and Sound related?
    @Cricket? (Hear them chirping often enough in the IRC chatroom... :D )

But seriously, I'd be happy if we finally got real balanced surround sound (You know, so that my 7.1 Surround sound installation actually makes sense for determining where something is located!)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  16. Miracle Dragon

SotA has some 'clockpunk' elements, so I can't help but think about:

@Dr. Tock

Others:

@Wisperer (without the 'h' to represent the 'wisp' which is a classic Ultima creature I look forward to seeing and hearing soon in SotA!)

@BuzzKilderken (a Kilderken is a measurement of volume, 1/2 a beer barrel)

@TootsieTaylor (just really wanted to use 'toot')

Time Lord likes this.
  17. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Hmmmm..... Professor Harold Hill? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Music_Man ;)

Those sounded great! I was a little disappointed that I didn't hear in the background the sound of water lapping for longer in the sea cave.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Mata

Mata Avatar

Hello Leo, great work! :)
    My tip is:
    The Voice

You give the things a "voice" ...

19. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Sonus Magorum is Latin for "Sound Archmage"

Time Lord likes this.
  20. keldonlighthand[BEAR]