How do you feel about the land rush? Would an alternative lot distribution option be viable?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Mystic, Feb 1, 2016.

?

Do you like the idea of a land rush?

1. Yes! Bring on the competition!

2. No. I would rather have another option for obtaining a lot I like.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I have heard some others express the same concerns. Only time will tell if anyone is going to *abuse power*. I'll bet *not* :)

As for GM involvement, I doubt that will happen. As has been stated before on other threads, the people who bought a POT *own the scene*. This is not to the liking of some people and that's fine. There are plenty of NPC/PRT towns to live in.

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    ‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.” ;)

Mordecai and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think that's something that may happen. It's a land rush so you have to take into consideration where you're rushing to.

POTs have additional risk to them. There's no doubt about that. But we can play that game all day. What if someone in the land rush really wants a light house and that's all they pledged for but when they sign on all the water front property is gone? They will be equally unhappy. However, where there would normally be no alternative, now they might be able to find something in a POT? Not everyone is going to be happy with this land rush. We're going to see quite a bit of confusion and anger and freaking out.

HoustonDragon likes this.
  4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

The first would be due to simply not having the chance to place. The second would be placing, then getting booted. There would be a LOT more anger involved in that scenario, at least if it were me. I agree we'll have to wait and see. It's also why I specifically refused to let my enjoyment of this game be predicated on the housing market, and the eventual scheming that has arisen from it. I want to play the game, and enjoy it as entertainment. Some folks want to turn this into the next House Hunters-style reality show with virtual property for financial considerations.

The two can remain exclusive, as long as it doesn't affect the other. I'm not convinced that won't be the case yet.

5. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I love the poem :)

I will say this and then I think I'm done: it is simply illogical to think that POT owners paid many hundreds or thousands of REAL dollars just to flush it all down the toilet by effing over people when we actually need people to come live in our towns...lol. Good grief, I guess anything is possible, but this is equivalent to pigs flying outside my window! :confused:

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I'm dead set on living in anything that is not a POT.

What I'm curious about is: what mechanisms (if any) are being put in place to lead people to available lots during their turn in the rush? Will I be able to tell, for example, that there are no lots left in Owl's Head, but a few lots left in Kingsport? If so, how will I be able to tell this?

7. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I wonder if they could plop a sign down at the front of the town with "Population: Whatever" with remaining number of plots open listed.

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  8. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

BOW TO ME YOUR LORD MARSHAL PEASANT!! ;)
    I also really regret not getting the holdfast when it was 750 and could've been placed on the map.

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

My worry you quoted was based on a hypothetical situation if the land rush were operating using the interactive map idea, allowing everyone to displace each other during the selection process. In the current design as proposed by Portalarium, direct displacement is impossible by everyone (except POT owners within their own cities). So no worries there.

Or: Give players proper control over the town, as it would seem was originally intended. ;-) It seems to me, the POT is really just an extension of what Port wanted PRTs to be, so PRTs should, in my mind, be given more thought, to come closer to the design and mechanics of POTs (without the ability to remove residents, of course).

10. Drocis the Devious

You should float that idea on the forums in a new thread and see how everyone likes it. :) (I'm saying this in both jest and in truth)

What kind of control would the players have?

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What percentage of PvPers plan on putting their house in a PvP POT in the land rush? Any bets?

12. Drocis the Devious

I wish I knew the answer to that question. The PVP works in this game, I could see it being 5% or I could see it being 95%.

Do we need a poll or should we ask the 10 people that like PVP in the forums directly? :)

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The logical answer should be both. So we can forum PvP over the results of the poll!

14. Drocis the Devious

I'm more interested in your guess.

Do you think the pvpers will run and hide in the safe towns?
    Or do you think they'll want to live where they can fight?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Oh, I was talking about their initial lot placement during the land rush. If only one placement is allowed would you use that one in a location you might have to PvP to place it.

16. Drocis the Devious

Now I get it. No, I don't think many people would do that for a variety of reasons. I don't expect a busy first month in Rats Nest. Especially if I can convince the devs to turn off single player online mode in my POT. :)

But that's why the Rats Nest town crier always says "No one lives in Rats Nest because they want to. They live in Rats Nest because they have to.”

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I was going to bring up the point that I imagine people, both POT owners and future residents, will not claim a lot in a POT. I mean, why would they if they already have a deal worked out with the POT owner.

I was going to suggest some behavior modifier would be in order. Something to prevent the majority (my guess) of the future POT dwellers from not claiming POTs. (No clue what that would be)

Then I pictured PvP POTs. There could be some hefty PvP going on over some POTs. But I guess SPO would be the way to go. No self respecting PvP goes SPO do they?

18. Drocis the Devious

I do it all the time so I can build my town in peace. It takes me 12+ hours to put all of that together.

But I have no plans to do that after the final wipe. I already have the lore of the town's construction written up. It starts with "Before there were streets. Prior to the newly erected shrines and even the Bloody Stool Tavern. The guard towers were built." ;)

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  19. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Town Criers?

Leelu likes this.
  20. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

MY problem with POT's is I am afraid of losing my plot because of the owner quitting or some other unknown thing happens and everyone is kicked out. I love the idea of the POT's, but hate the thought of people moving into them and then getting kicked out due to who knows what. There is no one who can say for 100 percent certainty that something could not happen that would cause such an event to take place. Heck I even looked at Tahru's towns and thought man that would be a cool place to live, but it scares me. If I lost my plot it could ruin this game for me completely and yes housing means that much to me.
    Tahru, just used yours as an example :) I do not mean you are not trustworthy at all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.