1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Sounds of the Avatar (Audio Blog)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ltaylor, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Guilty Conscience - because the sound you can put in at death can make me feel bad for killing something - like bears:( sound makes me feel like I'm kicking a puppy.

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

Leo I have been working on the shared spreadsheet for the last year and a half. Many people have come and gone and the progress seems to have come to a halt. Can you update us on what assets are good to go (what I can start working on). Thank you!!

Time Lord and Lord LionHeart like this.
  3. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Before assigning you a nickname, the most important question at hand is: Do you have hair?

You see, there seems to be an exclusive "club" of sorts at the Portalarium office that everyone's trying to get into. We recently learned about this exclusive group via the Winter Telethon, where @RichardGarriott was cutting his hair on a live broadcast, and @Hutch was doing his very best to try to fit in with @DarkStarr and @Sannio:
    [​IMG]

4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Awesome job. I think the demon could use a tad more treble, but I like :)

Nickname:
    Bird Tamer!
    Sound Servant :p
    Audible Archmage
    DJ SFX

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Rubus Bramble

Rubus Bramble Avatar

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh Leo I love the sounds you shared with us. It would make the world feel so much more alive, which it does not at the moment.

Also I have a request when you are able to get to the avatars. I so hate the female voice when jumping and crying. She sounds like minnie mouse or someone. Majoria would not sound like that. ;) Any chance we could get some samples to check out for that? I know you are busy, but for whenever I'm plugging my view on this. Also welcome to the Dev team. I'm loving so many sounds already. I love the wolves that have been fixed so far, such nostalgic sounds from UO days.:) I look forward to hearing more. Thanks so much.:)

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I was thinking of things like Soundmeister or Audio Fox, or Utter, like utter a sound. ;), or simple like Resonance meaning the quality in a sound of being deep, full and reverberating. ok, ok just some ideas maybe they will help. And again thank you Leo, I know I speak for all of us in saying thank you for bringing a special aliveness to our game. It will make so much difference.:)

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. ltaylor

ltaylor Developer Emeritus

Hello! I will need to become familiar with this sheet and re-update it for you guys. The simi sad news is that alot of the slots will be undertaken by me (as it is my audio job). HOWEVER! I would love some help on some things, as well as fresh creative perspective from other audio engineers. Let me update it for you, It may take some time though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  10. ltaylor

Haha That picture is pure gold, as well as "blackmail level" funny. I do have the luxury of hair, but I hear the more veteran you become working with SOTA the less hair you have. We have a lot of awesome wizards here.

11. ltaylor

I'm glad you enjoy the sounds so far! Thanks for your honest feedback as well. I totally agree about the grunts/ voice. My goal is to have multiple options to choose from regarding character sounds ect. I want everyone to have the most accurate character that they imagine. Hmmmm maybe even some cool styles of voice too. Such as deep evil voices and good angel like voices. Just some thoughts out loud.

12. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Awesome to hear there may be multiple voice to choose. My character is very old, so hopefully that will be available as well :)

BTW thanks for all the hard work on this part of our game. Sounds really do add alot of dimension to the world!

13. Rubus Bramble

Rubus Bramble Avatar

Can i have one with a prop-per farmers accent, so he does sound yolk-al..!! Keep up the great work ..!!

14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

[​IMG]

15. verdicaysen

verdicaysen Avatar

Super thrilled to see you hard at work! The sound levels themselves definitely have always seemed kind of off (too loud or too soft) in contrast with music, and individual sound effects. Foot steps are definitely the biggest offender. Also, ambient sound in most scenes are far too soft in contrast to music even when both are set to maximum. (Music is overwhelmingly louder than ambient. When footsteps are louder than ambient I go crazy! :p) Glad to know that this stuff is getting handled! Hang in there!

Time Lord and Kendric Darrow like this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I really like the Dragon and Sea Cave. The daemon one I swear a motorcycle went through that scene in the beginning.

17. ltaylor

Hey everyone! So update on the volunteer sounds. Now that I am on board I will be handling almost all of the SFX sounds (to keep everything nice and congruent). However, when the time comes I will need a lot of grunts, voices, and emotes to make our wide selection of custom voices for your avatar. So if anyone has a solid mic, and some voice acting talent go ahead and start warming up because I will need your help! The details will be worked out and I shall be putting up a list of all the vocal sounds needed shortly.
    [​IMG]

18. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

(Just bumpin this thead [not sure if there's a newer one])

Good work guys. The game looks like it's coming together nicely. Really starting to feel the immersion kick in.

However, there still remain some aspects of the game that are immersion breaking, for example various key sound effects come to mind (or the lack thereof). For example, there are many missing sound effects for combat actions. Moreover, the walking footsteps sound still isn't very convincing.

I'm assuming many of the sounds are placeholders and that the late polish stage will resolve the sound effects issues?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Good job. Can't wait to hear the improvements you make on sounds going forward.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.